inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 8:21 pm

So, who is totally stoked about this movie coming out this December? I cannot wait! I always get so excited whenever Johnny Depp comes out with a new movie..and I love that Helena Bonham-Carter is once again playing opposite of him...they do so well together.

The musical/play version is actually coming to Pittsburgh, Pa...very soon..I think I might try to see that one too.

Subject: Re: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/16/07 at 8:12 am

I kind of want to see it.

In 7th grade, my music teacher told our class that it was the worst play she's ever seen, and when she told us about the pies, I had nightmares! But I've been tempted to see it, and my local library has a copy of the play to rent, but I've been kind of afraid to watch it, which is weird, because I watch horror movies constantly, and my favorite horror movie is the original 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', which is about cannibalism.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/07 at 8:40 am

I kind of want to see it.

In 7th grade, my music teacher told our class that it was the worst play she's ever seen, and when she told us about the pies, I had nightmares! But I've been tempted to see it, and my local library has a copy of the play to rent, but I've been kind of afraid to watch it, which is weird, because I watch horror movies constantly, and my favorite horror movie is the original 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', which is about cannibalism.

Ya, you should rent it. I mean..if you can handle Texas Chainsaw Massacre..you should be fine with this one! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/16/07 at 11:49 am

Saw the tralier to the film on Film 2007 this week and we want to see it.

Written By: Paul on 11/16/07 at 12:15 pm

Pure fiction of course, but there is a barber's shop on Fleet Street in this very day and age!

Not sure how the 'legend' affects his business, but there's several establishments that sell pies nearby!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/16/07 at 12:21 pm

Pure fiction of course, but there is a barber's shop on Fleet Street in this very day and age!

Not sure how the 'legend' affects his business, but there's several establishments that sell pies nearby!
There is a McDonalds further up The Strand.

Written By: whistledog on 11/16/07 at 12:29 pm

I saw the trailer for this.  It looks pretty good

Whenever I see the name Sweeney Todd, I always get confused cause In the 70s, there was a glam rock band of the same name that launched the careers of Nick Gilder and Bryan Adams

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/16/07 at 1:46 pm

I am always leery whenever they try to turn musicals into movies because they really screw it up. Phantom was ok-except they had the chandelier come down at the end instead of at the end of the First Act. Evita was also ok, but not great. I  ALWAYS prefer when they have musicals, that they film them on stage. There were two Sweeney Todds done this way.  One with Angela Lansbury & George Hearn. And then there was Sweeney Todd in Concert with George Hearn, Patti LaPone, & Neil Patrick Harris.

Now, I do love Johnny Depp & Helena Bonham-Carter but I reserving my judgment until I see it.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/07 at 1:48 pm

Now, I do love Johnny Depp & Helena Bonham-Carter but I reserving my judgment until I see it.

Cat

they work so well together, huh? I think they are perfect for each other...too bad they aren't together in real life!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 1:44 am

so, have any of you seen the movie yet? I think I am going tomorrow night. I can't wait to see Johnny AND Helena!! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/08 at 10:29 am

In the UK, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street has it's premier on 10th January 2008 and is released to the public on the January 25th

Written By: KKay on 01/04/08 at 11:25 am

I saw the original Broadway produciton in  I think '79 and it was amazing.
I am happy to say i've seen Angela Lansbury live.

it was a great show then; I am really looking forward to this!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/08 at 2:30 pm

There is a hair place not too far us called Sweeney Todd's. Now, you REALLY want to have your hair done at a place by that name? I wouldn't.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/08 at 2:32 pm

I saw the original Broadway produciton in  I think '79 and it was amazing.
I am happy to say i've seen Angela Lansbury live.

it was a great show then; I am really looking forward to this!

I saw Angela Lansbury on stage in Mame back in the early 70s. She was/is INCREDIBLE!!!!!

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/08 at 2:33 pm

There is a hair place not too far us called Sweeney Todd's. Now, you REALLY want to have your hair done at a place by that name? I wouldn't.

Cat
Is there a pie shop next door?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/08 at 4:15 pm

Is there a pie shop next door?

Not next door but down the street just a bit.  :D ;D ;D ;D  We get bread from that bakery from time to time-that is sold at another store, so we don't actually GO to the bakery. I never knew it was so close to Sweeney Todd's until I just looked on the map. Hmmmm, maybe we should think twice about the bread.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/08 at 4:20 pm

Not next door but down the street just a bit.  :D ;D ;D ;D   We get bread from that bakery from time to time-that is sold at another store, so we don't actually GO to the bakery. I never knew it was so close to Sweeney Todd's until I just looked on the map. Hmmmm, maybe we should think twice about the bread.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
Has the population of your homestead recently dropped tremendously?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/08 at 4:36 pm

Has the population of your homestead recently dropped tremendously?

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Gis on 01/04/08 at 4:48 pm

There was me saying 'oh I hear Helena is pregnant again' in the obsessions thread, no kidding, she gave birth to a little girl over christmas! So very pregnant then.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/08 at 7:17 pm

I'm leery of musicals.  Period.  But Sweeney Todd is one of a few that I like, and I'm going to see the movie because Johnny Depp rocks, plus my brother endorsed it, and he one played Sweeney Todd!
8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 9:24 pm

well hell..I didn't get to see it tonight...but I think I am going sometime next week.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/22/08 at 9:02 am

Well...I FINALLY got to see Sweeney Todd, this past Saturday. I was totally impressed with it...I could see it several more times and not be tired of it.

Johnny Depp did an AMAZING job with this role, and he has a great singing voice too! I downloaded all of the songs from the movie...such a great soundtrack!  Helena Bonham Carter was so great, too!! She is so attractive, in that mysterious/gothic sort of way...and her dresses were just beautiful.

If you haven't seen it yet...do go and see it! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...