inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Osmonds=respect..WE NEED MORE OSMONDS!

Written By: saver on 11/17/07 at 3:22 pm

After the recent death(and during the life), of George Osmond, father of the Osmond clan...I couldn't help but notice that in interviews any family member gave, when referring to their parents, they were always addressed as 'father' or 'mother'.

Aside from enjoying the Osmond Family work over the many years they were in the limelight, the respectfulness they showed, stuck out the most to me.

I am proud of the Osmonds for their example of respect for their parents which has carried over into my life.

I only hope, others will take note and enforce it more into todays' society, after also noticing current music icons bowing to street slang with ..'MY POPS', 'MY OLD MAN/WOMAN', (or even addressing them by their first names!)

Give respect and get respect.....we need more Osmonds! :-\\

Subject: Re: Osmonds=respect..WE NEED MORE OSMONDS!

Written By: Jessica on 11/17/07 at 4:26 pm

After the recent death(and during the life), of George Osmond, father of the Osmond clan...I couldn't help but notice that in interviews any family member gave, when referring to their parents, they were always addressed as 'father' or 'mother'.

Aside from enjoying the Osmond Family work over the many years they were in the limelight, the respectfulness they showed, stuck out the most to me.

I am proud of the Osmonds for their example of respect for their parents which has carried over into my life.

I only hope, others will take note and enforce it more into todays' society, after also noticing current music icons bowing to street slang with ..'MY POPS', 'MY OLD MAN/WOMAN', (or even addressing them by their first names!)

Give respect and get respect.....we need more Osmonds! :-\\

The last thing we need is more Osmonds. There was over a hundred of them on Oprah last week. :o

And what is so disrespectful about calling your parents those names? I'd say disrespect is cussing them out, or mistreating them when they're older, or ignoring their needs. I call my dad "Pops" all the time. I call my mom by her first name. Does that mean I disrespect them ? Hell no! When I lived at home, I showed MY respect by helping my dad walk because of his bad back or getting him something to drink when he was in severe pain. I showed respect to my mom by helping her around the house or listening to her without interrupting. Now that we live thousands of miles away, I show respect by talking to them EVERY night and letting them know how we are. I show respect by remembering their birthdays, anniversary, holidays, etc. I show respect by telling my mom if we're not going to be around the house, so she knows to call my cellphone if she needs anything. I don't see how saying "Pops" or "old man" is disrespectful.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/17/07 at 4:36 pm

The last thing we need is more Osmonds. There was over a hundred of them on Oprah last week. :o

And what is so disrespectful about calling your parents those names? I'd say disrespect is cussing them out, or mistreating them when they're older, or ignoring their needs. I call my dad "Pops" all the time. I call my mom by her first name. Does that mean I disrespect them ? Hell no! When I lived at home, I showed MY respect by helping my dad walk because of his bad back or getting him something to drink when he was in severe pain. I showed respect to my mom by helping her around the house or listening to her without interrupting. Now that we live thousands of miles away, I show respect by talking to them EVERY night and letting them know how we are. I show respect by remembering their birthdays, anniversary, holidays, etc. I show respect by telling my mom if we're not going to be around the house, so she knows to call my cellphone if she needs anything. I don't see how saying "Pops" or "old man" is disrespectful.

I agree. I'm also convinced that the members of the Osmond clan were mass-produced in some sort of android factory. When I seen a Donny Osmond performance, or something of the sort, it's like someone wound him up very tightly (with excessive windage on the crap-face grin) before sending him on stage. They all seem so artificial to me.

I call my mom "Mom", and "Pop". Not that I want to call him Pop, but for some reason, my sisters and I grew up calling him that, and now find it hard to stop =(.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/07 at 10:10 pm

I agree. I'm also convinced that the members of the Osmond clan were mass-produced in some sort of android factory. When I seen a Donny Osmond performance, or something of the sort, it's like someone wound him up very tightly (with excessive windage on the crap-face grin) before sending him on stage. They all seem so artificial to me.

I call my mom "Mom", and "Pop". Not that I want to call him Pop, but for some reason, my sisters and I grew up calling him that, and now find it hard to stop =(.

hahah..ya, what she said. Seriously though....how is calling your dad, "pop" disrespectful? Like Beth said, we grew up calling him Pop....and it has always stuck. What, just because we don't say the traditional "father"...or "Dad"...that makes us bad? ???

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/07 at 2:02 pm

I always refer to my parents as the 'rents

Written By: Marian on 11/18/07 at 3:13 pm

;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :DOf course he didn't mean that literally.obviously there's a lot of them.I think he just meant how they act!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/18/07 at 3:38 pm

Marketing, public relations, yaddayaddayadda...

Written By: saver on 11/18/07 at 6:17 pm

If the 'parents' don't mind the way you address them, fine...So, then why does the 'judge' get mad when I call him 'judgie-wudgie' in court?
Or, in school, the teachers get out of whack  when I say- 'Hey Joe-what page do we have to read tonight?'

Yeah, there are many forms of addressing, I made the observation in this case, after hearing the terms mentioned earlier.
Of course in other lands people use the term Papa, Mama, DADA, NANA, etc...
100 Osmonds hmmm, how many more Wayans do we need to catch up? :D :D :D     

I also see keeping 'proper' titles as a Hallmark world: Where have you seen Happy 'POPS' day, Or PRAYED 'The OUR OLD MAN' ....

Check for new replies or respond here...