inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tv network decay

Written By: sonikuu on 11/18/07 at 2:40 pm

Earlier this year, I posted a topic about how specialty networks are dropping their specialties (Cartoon Network dropping cartoons and stuff like that).  Well, I found this article that is very interesting.  It's about how the various networks have "decayed" in recent years and are becoming more generic and having less of an identity.  It is, quite sadly, very truthful:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NetworkDecay

I agree with everything on there except for the Toon Disney portion.  Yes, Jetix has gotten rid of a lot of the Disney related program, but Jetix airs tons of old 90s cartoons like Pinky and the Brain, Gargoyles, and The Tick, so Jetix is fine by me.  Still, its very sad to see how the once varied tv landscape is becoming more and more generic.

Subject: Re: Tv network decay

Written By: Red Ant on 11/18/07 at 3:03 pm

Great link, and all true.

That leaves, what, QVC, The Weather Channel, C-Span, Comedy Central and ESPN as the only networks that haven't changed much?

Ant

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/18/07 at 8:51 pm

That leaves, what, QVC, The Weather Channel, C-Span, Comedy Central and ESPN as the only networks that haven't changed much?

Ant

ESPN has poker.  ;D

Written By: woops on 11/18/07 at 9:03 pm

TCM is still good

Though "Cartoon Alley" appeared to be canned since it should have new episodes by now...

Written By: Red Ant on 11/18/07 at 9:05 pm

ESPN has poker.  ;D

Poker is as much a sport as golf or bowling.

Ant

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/18/07 at 9:13 pm

lol, is Cranium a sport too? The Professional Cranium League!  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 11/18/07 at 9:45 pm

Ant

I love The Weather Channel.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/18/07 at 10:02 pm

I love The Weather Channel.

Really? Why?

I'm kinda indifferent to it. I used to dislike it when I was a kid (10-15 or so), because my grandfather would fall asleep listening to it at maximum volume. It took a while for me to realize it was okay to turn off the TV after he was asleep.

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 11/18/07 at 10:08 pm

Really? Why?

I'm kinda indifferent to it. I used to dislike it when I was a kid (10-15 or so), because my grandfather would fall asleep listening to it at maximum volume. It took a while for me to realize it was okay to turn off the TV after he was asleep.

Ant

I'm a weather freak. I love knowing stuff about changes in the weather, natural disasters, and so on. Hell, I check my Weatherbug at least 20 times a day. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...