inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are some types of music just worse than others?

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/20/07 at 7:49 pm

People talk about certain genres of music (mostly manufactured pop) as being inferior to "real" music (like classic rock) like it's a fact. What do people mean when they say music is "better"? People all have different tastes, is it just pretentious adults?

Subject: Re: Are some types of music just worse than others?

Written By: woops on 11/20/07 at 8:34 pm

All in the matter of taste

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/20/07 at 8:36 pm

I would agree, but Rolling Stone wouldn't.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/20/07 at 9:06 pm

It's all subjective.

Some like pop. Some don't.
Some like classical. Some don't.
Some like opera. Most don't.
etc...

Written By: nondiva234 on 11/20/07 at 11:14 pm

I agree with all the above statements.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/20/07 at 11:31 pm

country and rap....are worse than anything.

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/07 at 11:36 pm

total agreement.  There is the odd country song that is catchy, but maybe 1 good one for every 100 crappy ones lol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/20/07 at 11:46 pm

total agreement.  There is the odd country song that is catchy, but maybe 1 good one for every 100 crappy ones lol

totally..I hear ya! ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/21/07 at 12:00 am

The only good/semi listenable country songs are ballads, because ballads are usually somewhat across the board in any form (whether it's a singer songwriter, new wave, power ballad or alternative, they're still "love songs"). I hate those twangy guitar, rowdy songs about stuff only people who live that life would enjoy, like tractors. ;D It also bugs me that most country fans tend to be really hardcore and only listen to that above anything else.

As for the original question, I think some can be overrated and underrated in a critical sense, but most stuff at least has some merit.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 1:21 am

well Erin I finally found something we disagree on... okay I hate country so we agree on that but I love rap...its okay tho you have good taste where is counts  ;)

Music is subjective... in the 50s parents were afraid that rock & roll would corrupt their kids. They longed for the good old days when music was simple and pure...  but that doesn't make it better.  Its really hard to say what is better

I find it neither entertaining nor talented when a "singer" stands in front of a mic and screams into it... yet most people into metal like it.

I live by the American Bandstand criteria it has to have a good beat and you gotta be able to dance to it.

I love a lot of what came out of the 50s 60s 70s and 80s.  When it comes to the 90s and beyond I am a little more discerning. I like R&B, pop, ballads, and rap. I am too old to have patience for music I do not like so I will leave if a store is playing something I don't like- I can shop anywhere, if I am in a used cd store tho they tend to play that loud stuff that I have come to detest I have learned to tune it out to the best of my ability but I search the bins quickly and try to get out before my headache starts.  Ive gotta get some noise cancelling headphones and remember to bring my iPod with me next time. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/21/07 at 1:26 am

well Erin I finally found something we disagree on... okay I hate country so we agree on that but I love rap...its okay tho you have good taste where is counts  ;)

Music is subjective... in the 50s parents were afraid that rock & roll would corrupt their kids. They longed for the good old days when music was simple and pure...  but that doesn't make it better.  Its really hard to say what is better

I find it neither entertaining nor talented when a "singer" stands in front of a mic and screams into it... yet most people into metal like it.

I live by the American Bandstand criteria it has to have a good beat and you gotta be able to dance to it.

I love a lot of what came out of the 50s 60s 70s and 80s.  When it comes to the 90s and beyond I am a little more discerning. I like R&B, pop, ballads, and rap. I am too old to have patience for music I do not like so I will leave if a store is playing something I don't like- I can shop anywhere, if I am in a used cd store tho they tend to play that loud stuff that I have come to detest I have learned to tune it out to the best of my ability but I search the bins quickly and try to get out before my headache starts.  Ive gotta get some noise cancelling headphones and remember to bring my iPod with me next time. 

Hey girl! Let me specify...I don't like hardcore rap. I don't mind hip-hop type music...I love the Black Eyed Peas, Fergie, The Fugees, Eve, stuff like that...but I just don't like hardcore stuff. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/21/07 at 1:56 am

It is all about taste, though I admit objectively the rap that's popular currently is worse than just about everything else for the most part.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 2:05 am

Hey girl! Let me specify...I don't like hardcore rap. I don't mind hip-hop type music...I love the Black Eyed Peas, Fergie, The Fugees, Eve, stuff like that...but I just don't like hardcore stuff. :)

no worries it would be too weird if we agreed on everything. I like the hip hop stuff but I like the hard core stuff too.  I know I'm not supposed to because of all the misogynistic lyrics and stuff but it takes a lot to offend me.

I heard Whoopi Goldberg once say she doesn't care if someone uses the n word because she knows thats not her. (I care about the n word) but I feel that way about the bitches & ho's I don't mind it because they are not talking about me. I have never been a bitch or a ho... okay I have never been a ho  ::)  ;D. 

My mother's best friend is a rapper and he does all these women hating lyrics but he was raised by a single mom and he loves his mama... I always threaten to post pics of him as a kid on his myspace page.  He is so far from the artist he is on his CDs.  He also has good rhymes... see I respect the word play. Anyone who makes me go...damn that was a really good analogy gets my respect.

His lyrics are one of the reasons I really like Eminem. He's one of my favorites!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/21/07 at 2:07 am

no worries it would be too weird if we agreed on everything. I like the hip hop stuff but I like the hard core stuff too.  I know I'm not supposed to because of all the misogynistic lyrics and stuff but it takes a lot to offend me.

I heard Whoopi Goldberg once say she doesn't care if someone uses the n word because she knows thats not her. (I care about the n word) but I feel that way about the bitches & ho's I don't mind it because they are not talking about me. I have never been a bitch or a ho... okay I have never been a ho  ::)  ;D. 

My mother's best friend is a rapper and he does all these women hating lyrics but he was raised by a single mom and he loves his mama... I always threaten to post pics of him as a kid on his myspace page.  He is so far from the artist he is on his CDs.  He also has good rhymes... see I respect the word play. Anyone who makes me go...damn that was a really good analogy gets my respect.

His lyrics are one of the reasons I really like Eminem. He's one of my favorites!

you go girl....if the world was all the same..how boring it would be. Thank goodness for different interests, huh? :)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/21/07 at 2:08 am

I like that stuff too.  8)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/21/07 at 2:12 am

I like some Eminem mainly "Lose Yourself", and Jay-Z is good, and Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, etc I will listen to. I don't like the Soulja Boy, Mims, T-Pain, Yung Joc, (insert gimmicky rapper's name here), etc. crap that's been going on lately.

Written By: tv on 11/21/07 at 7:18 pm

Personally I can;t stand today's hip-hop because of that gimmicky one or two hit wonders rappers that have come out in the past 2 years. I like more old school rap like Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Beastie Boys, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five("The Message" is a great song), PM Dawn, Arrested Development, 2 Pac, Kanye West(well he's not old school), Nas(he's not old school either), and Public Enemy. I like a couple "Coolio" songs and that one Bone Thugs N' Harmony song called "Crossroads". Renee by "Lost Boyz" is a great song too as is Pete Rock and CL Smooth's "They Reminisce Over You". I like "Flava In Ya Ear" by "Craig Mack" too.

I just don;t like todays rap music because its all about how much money they have and the Mercedes in their driveway as well in addition to my complaint of one or two hit wonder rappers nowadays.

Written By: woops on 11/21/07 at 9:12 pm

second, though I like some old school rap

Written By: Stompgal on 11/22/07 at 8:08 am

Some types of music I don't like include classical and the type of music they play on 1-Xra, BBC Radio 1's sister station that plays a lot of hip hop and R 'n' B. I also don't like long, tedious dance music without any vocals. I like commercial rock and pop music though.

Check for new replies or respond here...