inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: England fail to qualify for Euro 2008... McLaren sacked

Written By: philbo on 11/22/07 at 5:23 am

Well, wasn't that a depressing night for England football fans?

A back four that didn't seem able to talk in front of a rookie goalie, a midfield that couldn't play together, two wingers who between them put in one cross into the box in the first 45 minutes.  Like a lot of people, I thought that Steve McLaren was a poor choice of manager but seeing as I'm usually wrong in these sorts of things, I thought maybe the people who chose him knew something I didn't. OTOH, maybe not.

It's not often I'll say this, but Crouch was not only the best player in the England team, he was head and shoulders above the others (metaphorically as well as literally).  But the supply to him was worse than Dyer... I mean dire.

So who should replace McLaren?

Have to admit to a bias, here: as a Wycombe supporter, I have long admired Martin O'Neill - far and away the best manager Wycombe have had.  To be honest, I think either Mourinho or Capello would be a joke, but the former is being touted as a front-runner, and the latter has put himself forward: after all, he does have form in turning eleven massive talents (and egos) into an ineffective football unit, so you could say that he has the right credentials.

Subject: Re: England fail to qualify for Euro 2008... McLaren sacked

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 8:18 am

The whole team should be replaced, playing, manager and the administrative staff, and start all over again.

BTW, doesn't the roof at Wembley shut, that would had been usual last night. Also the pitch was still showing wear and tear for the American Football Match there a few weeks back.

My vote goes for Sam Allardyce, but which team is he with at the moment, can he leave now, or is there a contract to fulfill?

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 12:21 pm

Well, wasn't that a depressing night for England football fans?

A back four that didn't seem able to talk in front of a rookie goalie, a midfield that couldn't play together, two wingers who between them put in one cross into the box in the first 45 minutes.  Like a lot of people, I thought that Steve McLaren was a poor choice of manager but seeing as I'm usually wrong in these sorts of things, I thought maybe the people who chose him knew something I didn't. OTOH, maybe not.

It's not often I'll say this, but Crouch was not only the best player in the England team, he was head and shoulders above the others (metaphorically as well as literally).  But the supply to him was worse than Dyer... I mean dire.

So who should replace McLaren?

Have to admit to a bias, here: as a Wycombe supporter, I have long admired Martin O'Neill - far and away the best manager Wycombe have had.  To be honest, I think either Mourinho or Capello would be a joke, but the former is being touted as a front-runner, and the latter has put himself forward: after all, he does have form in turning eleven massive talents (and egos) into an ineffective football unit, so you could say that he has the right credentials.

Change the names, and this goes for The Netherlands as well. The only difference being: we DID qualify.

Personally, I don't think we stand a chance at Euro 2008. I mean... 15 goals in 12 matches... That should really scare our opponents...(not!)

A replacement for McLaren...what about Guus Hiddink? ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 12:22 pm

When is the draw for the Final Rounds of Euro 2008?

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 12:28 pm

When is the draw for the Final Rounds of Euro 2008?

According to the UEFA website, that'll be 2 December 2007.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 12:29 pm

According to the UEFA website, that'll be 2 December 2007.
That soon, as England will not be there will British TV still cover it?

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 12:35 pm

That soon, as England will not be there will British TV still cover it?

I don't know. :-\\

Here's a link to the way the teams are "potted" and how the drawing will proceed.

Interesting...It looks like Italy, Germany and France could end up in one group (with The Netherlands, no doubt... :()

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 12:36 pm

I don't know. :-\\

Interesting...It looks like Italy, Germany and France could end up in one group (with The Netherlands, no doubt... :()
Italy, Germany and France that could be soemthing?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 12:38 pm

Just notice Poland is there, usually Poland gave England a rough time when qualifying.

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 12:52 pm

Just notice Poland is there, usually Poland gave England a rough time when qualifying.

Poland, yes...led by Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker. There seems to be some kind of trend here... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 12:55 pm

I would think that Italy, Germany and France would be the number seeds of each group.

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 1:01 pm

I would think that Italy, Germany and France would be the number seeds of each group.

So do I.

I'm even more shocked to find that we (The Netherlands) are in Pot #1. :o What have we done to deserve this? :-\\ The last time we did fairly well at any tournament was nearly 20 years ago (winning Euro 1988)...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 1:05 pm

So do I.

I'm even more shocked to find that we (The Netherlands) are in Pot #1. :o What have we done to deserve this? :-\\ The last time we did fairly well at any tournament was nearly 20 years ago (winning Euro 1988)...
Was Johan Cruyff the coach then?

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 1:15 pm

Was Johan Cruyff the coach then?

Not Johan Cruyff...but Rinus Michels (nicknamed "The General").

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 1:15 pm

Not Johan Cruyff...but Rinus Michels (nicknamed "The General").
So back then was JC playing for The Netherlands?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/07 at 1:30 pm

With 11.5m viewers for the BBC last, and England still played rubbish!

Written By: Paul on 11/22/07 at 1:35 pm

Have to admit to a bias, here: as a Wycombe supporter, I have long admired Martin O'Neill - far and away the best manager Wycombe have had. 

Tch! I always used to dread going to Loakes Park with its slope! It's probably fair to say that Wycombe did know how to play that pitch, while the opposition either underhit or overhit their cross balls (depending what side of the slope they were on!)

I vaguely remember Bournemouth (I think) being beaten by WW in the FA Cup, then bitterly complaining about the slope...rather unsuccessfully, as the ground did meet FA regulations!

Best result we ever got there was when we won 1-1... :P

As for replacement England managers...Sam Allardyce & Tel Venables in the hot seats could pull off some 'dodgy deals'... ;)

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 1:38 pm

So back then was JC playing for The Netherlands?

No, he had already quit playing for The Netherlands back in 1978. In that year, he also planned on retiring from football completely, and was offered a farewell game: Ajax versus Bayern Munich. I think that game still haunts him...the Germans beat Ajax 0 to 8. :o
Cruyff was forced to make his comeback only a year later, when the millions he had made had misteriously disappeared...
He played another 6 years of competition football (in USA, Spain and The Netherlands) before retiring permanently in 1984.

Some other trivia: In his last year as a professional football player, he played with Feyenoord Rotterdam (although he had played with Ajax Amsterdam for most of his career).
Cruyff has never been coach of the Dutch National Team so far.

Written By: Paul on 11/22/07 at 1:39 pm

Had to laugh at London's Evening Standard 'headline' on the billboards...

'McLaren: I take the blame'

(You almost feel like adding...'along with two and a half million quid!'  :P)

Written By: Paul on 11/22/07 at 1:42 pm

The last time we did fairly well at any tournament was nearly 20 years ago (winning Euro 1988)...

At least you've won a major tournament in your lifetime!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 1:51 pm

At least you've won a major tournament in your lifetime!  ;)

Didn't you guys, too...? Or...did you? ::)

Written By: Paul on 11/22/07 at 1:56 pm

Didn't you guys, too...? Or...did you? ::)

If I were a year older, then yes!

(Probably wouldn't have remembered much of it though!  ;))

Written By: Henk on 11/22/07 at 2:25 pm

If I were a year older, then yes!

(Probably wouldn't have remembered much of it though!  ;))

Ah yes...you said "in your lifetime", and I keep forgetting how "young" you still are. ;)

Not that I was around to see the 1966 World Cup, mind you.

Written By: philbo on 11/23/07 at 1:14 am

Tch! I always used to dread going to Loakes Park with its slope! It's probably fair to say that Wycombe did know how to play that pitch, while the opposition either underhit or overhit their cross balls (depending what side of the slope they were on!)

Loakes Park is now the hospital car park (with some extra buildings on).  Down the road at what was called "Adams Park" in memory of the fan who donated the land (and still is called Adams Park by almost everyone in Wycombe, even though a sponsorship deal had the name changed to the "Causeway Stadium"), Wycombe's cup runs still cause confusion about why they manage to play so badly in the league...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/07 at 1:10 pm

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill says he is committed to the club and is not interested in the vacant England coach's position.

Written By: Paul on 11/23/07 at 2:52 pm

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill says he is committed to the club and is not interested in the vacant England coach's position.

The job is something of a 'poisoned chalice' right at this minute, so if you don't mind Mr. Philip, I'll put your name forward!  ;)

(To be fair, you can't do much worse...)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/07 at 3:34 pm

The job is something of a 'poisoned chalice' right at this minute, so if you don't mind Mr. Philip, I'll put your name forward!  ;)

(To be fair, you can't do much worse...)
I am looking for a job at the moment, but more in line of a junior officer in a governmental department.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/07 at 10:39 pm

Other

Other McLaren

Malcolm Mclaren!
:D

Written By: La Roche on 11/24/07 at 11:08 pm

Mourinho would be the most interesting appointment but I'm not so sure he's daft enough to take the toughest job in football.

MoN could do a great job, but he's already said he's committed to Villa.

Cappelo would be a good option.

Written By: Henk on 12/13/07 at 2:28 pm

Mourinho would be the most interesting appointment but I'm not so sure he's daft enough to take the toughest job in football.

MoN could do a great job, but he's already said he's committed to Villa.

Cappelo would be a good option.

...and Fabio Capello it is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/07 at 2:31 pm

...and Fabio Capello it is.
Will he do a good job?

Written By: Henk on 12/13/07 at 2:37 pm

Will he do a good job?

Only time can tell. He'll have plenty of time to work on the team before World Cup 2010 qualifying starts. For the next year/year and a half there'll be little to no pressure on him, which may be an advantage. I think you'll qualify for WC 2010.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/07 at 2:38 pm

Only time can tell. He'll have plenty of time to work on the team before World Cup 2010 qualifying starts. For the next year/year and a half there'll be little to no pressure on him, which may be an advantage. I think you'll qualify for WC 2010.
He will have sort of the England Team, may be change a few players?

Written By: Henk on 12/13/07 at 2:46 pm

He will have sort of the England Team, may be change a few players?

Oh, he will...trust me. New brooms sweep clean. I expect a lot of experimenting for the next 12 months. Of course I can't give you any names, I'm not that familiar with English football.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/07 at 11:50 am

Oh, he will...trust me. New brooms sweep clean. I expect a lot of experimenting for the next 12 months. Of course I can't give you any names, I'm not that familiar with English football.
He better do a good job for his pay is £6.5m.

Written By: philbo on 12/14/07 at 2:03 pm

Of course, Capello doesn't speak English very well... but hearing some of the post-match interviews, neither do half his team ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/07 at 2:28 pm

Of course, Capello doesn't speak English very well... but hearing some of the post-match interviews, neither do half his team ;)
Which will make interviews very interesting?

Written By: philbo on 12/17/07 at 4:17 am

IMO, it's going to make the PR side of his job much easier: any time he makes an interview faux pas, he can blame it on the translator.  I dare say he's got enough of the technical football jargon in English to run a training session, though.

Written By: leelondon on 12/17/07 at 6:36 am

Brian Barwick has given himself a massive pat on the back after securing Capello, why they didn't do this instead of getting McClaren i'll never know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 6:38 am

Capello Press Conference in twenty minutes time from a hotel near Hyde Park, London

Written By: philbo on 12/17/07 at 11:23 am

Brian Barwick has given himself a massive pat on the back after securing Capello, why they didn't do this instead of getting McClaren i'll never know.

Brian Barwick's a prat who shouldn't be in charge of running a whelk stall, let alone a multi-million pound sport whose success is of interest to millions in this country... I mean, what kind of negotiator writes in a clause where someone can be sacked for not being good enough at the job, yet walk away with a payoff of millions?

It'd be better for the England manager to be on a reasonable basic salary (say, a 100k or so), but something like the odd million bonus for qualifying for a major tournament (i.e. Euro/World cup), then a few million more for winning it.

Check for new replies or respond here...