inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: is post grunge over or still around?

Written By: bartzman on 11/25/07 at 6:25 am

is post grunge music still around? Does Nickelback still have that "pearl-jam-esque" sound to their songs or have they contemporized? are they even still popular? What about Hinder? are they post-grunge or just hard rock?

i seem to remember 2 big waves of post grunge. the first was mid 90s with bush, silverchair, collective soul, stp and foo fighters. the second was early 00s, with creed, staind, nickelback, three doors down, puddle of mudd, default and lifehouse. am i right on this?

Subject: Re: is post grunge over or still around?

Written By: Brian06 on 11/25/07 at 6:34 am

is post grunge music still around? Does Nickelback still have that "pearl-jam-esque" sound to their songs or have they contemporized? are they even still popular? What about Hinder? are they post-grunge or just hard rock?

i seem to remember 2 big waves of post grunge. the first was mid 90s with bush, silverchair, collective soul, stp and foo fighters. the second was early 00s, with creed, staind, nickelback, three doors down, puddle of mudd, default and lifehouse. am i right on this?

Well Nickelback's latest is one of the most successful albums sales wise released in the last 2 years (7x platnum now), and all those top 20 songs, yes they're still very very popular. They've softened a bit and probably have trended more towards pop rock (while getting much worse than they already were in the process). Hinder is post-grunge and a possible one hit wonder group.

Written By: CrazyDude on 11/25/07 at 9:22 am

Chris Daughtry.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/25/07 at 12:36 pm

Since griunge is over, that puts us in the post-grunge era.

We'll be in post-grunge forever.  Unless somehow grunge makes a comeback.

Written By: sonikuu on 11/25/07 at 2:04 pm

Yes, Post-Grunge is definitely still around and is probably one of the longest lasting styles of Rock music in terms of mainstream popularity.  

Although, one person on another board I go to said that since Post-Grunge has been around so long, today's Post-Grunge is "Post-Post-Grunge", in that current Post-Grunge is influenced by other Post-Grunge, not by Grunge itself.

Written By: dushanbe on 11/25/07 at 2:22 pm

no nickelback is just sh*t it doesn't deserve to be part of a genre

Written By: tv on 11/25/07 at 7:05 pm

STP is not post-grunge to me I mean they first became popular in 1992 not in 1994 and 1995 like Bush, Foofighters, and Silverchair. Collectove Soul I don't look at as post-grunge either.

Staind was nu-metal(not post-grunge to me) when they first came onto the scene in late 1999/2000 but to me they weren't nu-metal anymore once their 2001 release of their CD "Break The Cycle" hit big. "Three Doors Down" was post-grunge but I think their sound morphed into a more pop-rock sound with songs like "Away From The Sun" and "Here Without You".

"Creed" was definately post-grunge no doubt as was "Puddle Of Mudd and "Default". "Lifehouse" was post grunge when they first came out too but now I think they have a more A/C pop sound going on currently.

"Nickleback" was post grunge but now as you said they have a more of a softer sound 2006+ anyway.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/07 at 7:02 pm

Grunge's legacy lives in boring, lackluster, low-energy, sub-par guitar rock.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/27/07 at 11:08 am

The best grunge music happened in the '90s, it is now watered down guitar pop rock.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/07 at 1:30 pm

no nickelback is just sh*t it doesn't deserve to be part of a genre

let me be the first one to dish you a karma for that one! I hate Nickelback....and their new songs sucks so hard. ::)

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 3:22 pm

let me be the first one to dish you a karma for that one! I hate Nickelback....and their new songs sucks so hard. ::)

;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/05/07 at 5:52 am

Since griunge is over, that puts us in the post-grunge era.

We'll be in post-grunge forever.  Unless somehow grunge makes a comeback.

Actually "post grunge" is a style of music (albeit a crappy one, lol). Bands like Creed and especially Nickelback, which are like a dull, lifeless and much more inferior version of actual grunge.

I think real grunge died around the time Kurt Cobain did, although it was still vaguely around up to 1997ish. Yeah, I think even post grunge has worn itself out, to where it's a terrible carbon copy of itself by now. Really Nickelback is the only one still around, and I don't think I've met anyone at all who likes them now. ;D It's just that nothing has officially replaced it yet as the main form of radio rock, which is why it's still considered to be around.

You know, even though the original grunge from 1991 to '94 had some great, influential songs and was a really good addition to the rock world at the time, I think its influence needs to stop. The reason we've got so much post-post grunge is because, that was the last revolutionary rock movement to date.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/09/07 at 7:16 am

Has Staind done anything lately?  They rocked.  8)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/09/07 at 6:37 pm

Has Staind done anything lately?  They rocked.  8)

They had a hit in 05/06 called "Right Here", that did alright.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/07 at 6:14 am

Wow... I just saw on the other thread that Staind had "Its Been Awhile" on top of the Modern Rock Tracks for 16 weeks.

Even though I have never been a grunge fan or even a grungesque fan, I'd like to see Staind score another megahit.  8)

Written By: Blackjack on 01/04/08 at 5:45 pm

Post-grunge is still pretty much around and there is  slight grunge revival too as of 2008... yeah we got Daughtry, Stone Sour, Lifehouse... all these boring artists and even Nirvana and Pearl Jam are back.

Check for new replies or respond here...