inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were/are you type to rebel against older pop culture? *EDITED*

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/27/07 at 5:11 am

Even though more people are into their own thing, and there's more "old school minded" teens, I think there's a common stereotype that younger people dislike what their parents or older generations do. Or if they do like it, it's to a lesser extent. This is true in many areas of life, but I think it's the most pervasive for music and fashion.

If you enjoy something which other people don't, I can totally understand being yourself and staying with it. There's been things I've gotten a taste for over the years, that I might've not given a chance to as a kid. However I never cared if I liked outdated things either, lol. A good portion of what shaped my tastes came from my parents (either directly or not), so that's probably one reason I stayed with that. For instance, I loved alot of current songs in the '90s, but I still dug '80s music and even got deeper into it at the same time, ya know? ;)

Subject: Re: Were/are you type to rebel against your parents' pop culture? Thoughts.

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 9:49 am

it's always annoyed me when they say how much better/nicer their time was, but i'm pretty open minded.

Subject: Re: Were/are you type to rebel against your parents' pop culture? Thoughts.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/27/07 at 11:03 am

I have never really rebeled against my parent's pop culture because I use to (and still do) find it one of the best eras to ever live in. I mean, who can say that seeing someone land on the moon for the first time, the advent of rock & roll, great movies, great clothes, great everything from the '50s, '60s & '70s were all from a bad time in pop culture? If kids are rebeling against that time, then they don't have any respect for pop culture - period! The pop culture that kids like today all came down to what their parents lived through - which was a far better time than it is today.

I've come to respect what's come before me as well as what I've lived through already and what I will live through in the future. I know now may not seem like pop culture's peak, but I know there will be a time that I will have longing for this time at some point in my life (maybe at least for being young and free).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/07 at 1:27 pm

I remember when I was young, I used to think that the things that my parents liked the best (music, styles, places they shopped,etc)...were really lame and gooberish...but now, as I grow older, I can SO appreciate everything that they were/are about. And it's so ironic because I can see myself turning into them, as I age. Infact, I find myself liking the same kind of music, styles,...everything. ;D  I remember when I was young, I wouldn't be caught dead in a thrift store...but now, you can't pry me away from them!! :D

Written By: Marian on 11/27/07 at 3:11 pm

No in fact it seems i appreciate it more than they do.

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 3:22 pm

What about the fact that I still listened to '80s music in the '90s and got even deeper into it, discovering stuff I never knew when it was actually going on (from the radio/VH1/buying albums/hearing stuff from friends or people at school)?

I liked the current stuff too, but it CO EXISTED in my tastes! I never got embarrased and gave up on 80s music just because it happened to be 1995. That has to be the stupidest thing anyone can do, no offense.

I think a lot of people in the 90s still liked 80s music they were just too afraid to admit it and sadly lost taste for it because of that.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/27/07 at 4:06 pm

What about the fact that I still listened to '80s music in the '90s and got even deeper into it, discovering stuff I never knew when it was actually going on (from the radio/VH1/buying albums/hearing stuff from friends or people at school)?

I liked the current stuff too, but it CO EXISTED in my tastes! I never got embarrased and gave up on 80s music just because it happened to be 1995. That has to be the stupidest thing anyone can do, no offense.

You know what, we're pretty much on the exact wavelength when it comes to this stuff. You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

Something that also often annoys me about my own generation is that their refusal of certain kinds of music totally alienates them from many people. It's sometimes like a religion for people - they want to like what they want and force you to like it as well, and if you don't, then "oh well"

to be continued.. as I need to leave..  ;D

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 4:13 pm

50 years ago (relative to the 80s and 90s) meant the 30s and 40s, which did suck, unlike the 60s and 70s, and should be made fun of!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/07 at 4:16 pm

Nope.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/27/07 at 4:48 pm

50 years ago (relative to the 80s and 90s) meant the 30s and 40s, which did suck, unlike the 60s and 70s, and should be made fun of!  ;D

This is a joke, right  ???

In the 30's and 40's; swing, big band and blues music were at their height. Some of the best music was written in this period.
Just think, most music today is just an evolution of one of these styles, each generation adds a little something extra.

I think it's the other way around, the better stereotype would be that parents rebel against their kids pop culture. Kids are
more apt to like their parents music more so than parents are to their kids music. Then main reason being simply because it is
different.

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 4:49 pm

In the 30's and 40's; swing, big band and blues music were at their height. Some of the best music was written in this period.
Just think, most music today is just an evolution of one of these styles, each generation adds a little something extra.

I think it's the other way around, the better stereotype would be that parents rebel against their kids pop culture. Kids are
more apt to like their parents music more so than parents are to their kids music. Then main reason being simply because it is
different.

I wouldn't like to live back then. All the music sounded the same, the economy sucked, there wasn't anything to do except listen to the radio.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 5:21 pm

NO WAY JOSE!!!!!  I wish I can go back to the 60s and 70s!!!!

Written By: tv on 11/27/07 at 5:42 pm

I have never really rebeled against my parent's pop culture because I use to (and still do) find it one of the best eras to ever live in. I mean, who can say that seeing someone land on the moon for the first time, the advent of rock & roll, great movies, great clothes, great everything from the '50s, '60s & '70s were all from a bad time in pop culture? If kids are rebeling against that time, then they don't have any respect for pop culture - period! The pop culture that kids like today all came down to what their parents lived through - which was a far better time than it is today.

I don;t know I can;t get into much of 70's music except for the later part of the 70's a little bit.

As for me rebeling against my parents culture I don;t know I just listened to what was on the radio back in the mid to late 90's so I really didn;t think about rebelling against my parents generation of stuff. My dad really can't stand rap music so if I listen to rap music it will drive him crazy. OF course rap music in 1998 was not as bad as it is now.

My Mom was the type where she would listen to Mariah Carey, Phil Collins, Toni Braxton, Jon Secada or Amy Grant in 1994 but I liked my alternative rock and Eurodance back in the mid 90's. Now I can actually listen to Toni Braxton and Jon Secada because I feel noglastic for their songs.

My Dad he loves the 80's and say their the best musical decade ever and he was in his 30's in the 80's. My Dad liked when Disco died.

Written By: vlad on 11/27/07 at 6:17 pm

Well, everyone's different. For me, for example music is not so important as a cultural phenomenon. I regard it as just fun. Nothing more. I prefer movies and television to music. When people ask me what kind of music I like (my best friends NEVER asked me that :)) I concoct something. Maybe I like pop the best. I'm also out of the celebrity trivia hype. I am only 19 and I was out of it as a child, too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/07 at 8:02 pm

A subject I've discussed before.

"When are you going to let your hair grow?  Those crewcuts are awful!"
--Mom

I love a lot of the music from the '60s--The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Frank Zappa--some of the best pop music ever! 

Hippie fashions, hippie slang, hippie hedonism...I thought that was a load of sheeshe!  Incidentally, so did Mr. Zappa. 

I'm ambivalent about hippie social values.  I don't agree with Ted Nugent that everything that came out of the '60s was bad, except the civil rights movement.  The problem was the hippies took it all too far.  Yes, the Victorian sexual repression was unhealthy, but marital infidelity and drug-fed orgies are equally unhealthy.  We traded one poison for another. 

I hated hearing my dad and his friends, Ivy League men all, trying to riff on blacks street jive.  It sounded so phony! 

What clinched it for me was all those Woodstockers turning yuppie and voting for Reagan.  That made them bigger hypocrites than their parents ever were!

Give me a flattop, my Depeche Mode records, and my George Orwell novels.  I'll make my own way.  Jerry Garcia, hit the road!
::)

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 8:07 pm

The 60s weren't the best decade. Most of the 60s were boring except the last couple years.

Written By: karen on 11/27/07 at 9:38 pm

My parents were into late 50s rock and roll music.  I liked some of it when I was growing up but I preferred the sixties stuff.  I listened to that alongside the eighties bands I was into.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/28/07 at 2:06 am

different.

I agree. Music from the '30s and '40s was a very important stepping stone to what we got to experience later. If we didn't have big bands, jazz and the blues guitar in the middle of all that, who knows where we'd be now with music. It was a lot of this music that influenced musicians like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. I think today it's very important for kids to take a class in the evolution of music, dating all the way back to it's earliest forms - before polyphony ever got a hold of the world. It's amazing just exactly how we evolved and how cool people such as J.S. Bach turned music into something with a strong melody.

Check for new replies or respond here...