inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The best song of the 00s

Written By: chatterbox on 12/05/07 at 11:03 am

I think it is "I bet that you look good on the dancefloor", arctic monkeys :)

Subject: Re: The best song of the 00s

Written By: jaytee on 12/05/07 at 4:54 pm

Fans - Kings Of Leon

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/07 at 11:15 am

Get Down - Groove Armada featuring Stush

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/07 at 2:38 pm

Fear of The Underdog - Spoon

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/07 at 2:58 pm

"I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in My Hair)" ~ Sandi Thom

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 12/06/07 at 3:55 pm

Heartbeats by The Knife: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWLuqly6uCQ

Written By: Brian06 on 12/06/07 at 4:14 pm

What a shocker, Everyone so far has chosen songs from bands/artists that not one person on the planet has heard of except for themselves.

Trendy Snobs  :P

How one arth do you people hear this music??? Do you just go to a store and see some artist/band you've never heard of and pick up their album for the hell of it? From what I know, none of the artists you people have picked have received any radio airplay on any format...

Just another case of people "rebelling" against anything played on the radio or anything that's popular.  No wonder the world is crap today.

Arctic Monkeys and Sandi Thom were big hits outside of the United States (not sure on the others).  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/07 at 10:31 pm

What a shocker, Everyone so far has chosen songs from bands/artists that not one person on the planet has heard of except for themselves.

How one arth do you people hear this music??? Do you just go to a store and see some artist/band you've never heard of and pick up their album for the hell of it? From what I know, none of the artists you people have picked have received any radio airplay on any format...

Just another case of people "rebelling" against anything played on the radio or anything that's popular.  No wonder the world is crap today.

Just because you don't know any of the bands listed, doesn't mean that no one else will either.  I seem to remember having a similar discussion like this with someone else long ago, so I'll say to him what I will say to you ...

"There's more to music than what's in the US Top 40"

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/06/07 at 10:34 pm

No joke Whistledog. There are some pretty obscure artist I like as well.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/06/07 at 11:06 pm

Arctic Monkeys had 3 singles from their first album (Dancefloor, Fake Tales of San Francisco & When The Sun Goes Down) and 3 from this latest one (Brianstorm, Di is for Dangerous and Flourescent Adolescent - yes it's spelt like that!)

They aren't unknown by any means. The most successful britpop act of the last year.

Sandi Thom had a number 2 hit earlier this year with "Punk Rocker".

Kings of Leon are pretty well known on rock stations.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/07 at 2:05 am

No Worries by Simon Webbe

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/07/07 at 2:11 am

In My Highly Subjective Opinion:  :D

Last 12 months: Intervention by Arcade Fire

Last 7 Years: Bliss by Muse
Honourable Mention: The Shining by Badly Drawn Boy

Written By: Davester on 12/08/07 at 12:21 am

Don't Know Why ~ Norah Jones

or

Flake ~ Jack Johnson...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/07 at 2:56 am

That Crazy song...

I much prefered the Ray LaMontagne version

Written By: ninny on 12/08/07 at 11:18 am

Apoligize-OneRepublic  (my daughter got me in this one)

Written By: woops on 12/09/07 at 7:41 pm

Some might be suprised, but I like "Big Girls Don't Cry" & "Clumsy" from Fergie

Written By: Brian06 on 12/09/07 at 11:46 pm

So tough to answer my answer would rotate by the day probably. I guess I could nominate some per year.

2000: Never Let You Go - Third Eye Blind/ I Turn to You - Christina Aguilera
2001: Fallin - Alicia Keys/ Southside - Moby and Gwen Stefani
2002: Can't Get You Out of My Head - Kylie Minogue/ Lose Yourself - Eminem
2003: Clocks - Coldplay/ Can't Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2004: White Flag - Dido/ It's My Life - No Doubt (cover I know)
2005: Mr. Brightside - Killers/ Cool - Gwen Stefani
2006: Say It Right - Nelly Furtado or Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
2007: No One - Alicia Keys/ Apologize - One Republic

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/10/07 at 12:49 am

It is hard to choose just one song from an entire decade (or almost an entire decade)....

Hmmm, I'd say "Hill Farmer Blues" by Mark Knopfler (I'll be a trendy snob, I guess - even though Mark Knopfler is relatively popular)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/10/07 at 3:30 am

Not being exposed to much new music (I stopped listening actively to the radio in 1988), I can only suggest a few nominations:

-The Monster Is Loose: Meat Loaf
-Mute: Stakka Bo
-Punk Rock 101: Bowling For Soup
-Body Snatcher: Billy Idol
-Loveline: The Tubes

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/07 at 3:34 am

The best song in the UK Charts released last week and stands at #12, The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/07 at 5:03 pm

The best song in the UK Charts released last week and stands at #12, The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York

That one seems to re-appear in the UK chart every christmas lol

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/10/07 at 8:19 pm

please tone down the name calling, thank you.

As for the radio, who in the world listens to commercial radio anymore? I don't find new music from regular radio stations.  They're all full of commercials and annoying DJs that don't talk about the music or even properly announce the songs.  I find most of it from online blogs and file sharing.  I'm assuming a lot of other people do as well. Nothing trendy about it, it's just that commercial radio stations play mostly what the labels pay them to play, which is CRAP.

Check for new replies or respond here...