inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bodies: The Exhibition--Carnegie Museum Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/07 at 1:58 am

http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/bodies/

I don't know how many of you are familiar with this new exhibit that is featured at the Carnegie Museum, in Pittsburgh, Pa....but it looks absolutely amazing.

My sister Beth, Justin, and I are going to see it this weekend...I cannot wait.  Here's a little writeup about it:

BODIES... The Exhibition is a must-see during its limited engagement at Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh. This striking exhibition showcases real human bodies, giving visitors the opportunity to see themselves in a fascinating way like never before. Bodies...The Exhibition will enlighten, empower, fascinate, and inspire.

Take a close-up look inside the skeletal, muscular, respiratory, and circulatory systems as you come face-to-face with polymer-preserved human bodies. These meticulously dissected bodies are preserved through an innovative process called polymer preservation and are respectfully presented. Approximately 200 additional organs and partial specimens reveal the intricacies and complexities that lie beneath your skin.

Take a look at the website, and watch the little video clip that they have of it..truly amazing!

Subject: Re: Bodies: The Exhibition--Carnegie Museum Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/07 at 6:02 am

I'm not ready for this.  Those bodies are of real people, it is just too macabre for me

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/07 at 7:00 am

I'm not ready for this.  Those bodies are of real people, it is just too macabre for me

yes, it is a little spooky, but very informative...and very educational. I guess they show body parts that have been affected by diseases and such, as well..as blood circulation. It's not something that I would take my young child to see...but I think that it will be something to see.

Written By: KKay on 12/11/07 at 7:30 am

We have that exhibit here in NYC...I have been meaining to go for years.
I"m glad you went! 
Now I have to make a plan and go- we'll compare notes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/07 at 9:17 am

Puttin' on the Riiiiiitz!!!

:D

Written By: KKay on 12/11/07 at 2:07 pm

Puttin' on the Riiiiiitz!!!

:D

;D

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/07 at 2:37 pm

I saw it in Chicago and saw it here just the other month, I remember me and Mike (Badfingerfan) discussed that maybe it was a bad choice for a second date.  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/11/07 at 2:47 pm

They had something similar at the MSI but we never got a chance to go.  The boy and I did go to the Star Wars one though.

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/07 at 2:48 pm

They had something similar at the MSI but we never got a chance to go.  The boy and I did go to the Star Wars one though.

Not fair. I wanted to go see Han!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/07 at 8:04 pm

"Jeez, I was doing that routine back in the '80s,
and these guys didn't give me so much as a nod!"
---Jeffrey Dahmer
  Circle 6, Hell

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/11/07 at 8:34 pm

Is this considered a legitimate use for a body donated to science?  Who gets the royalties from the show?

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/12/07 at 4:53 am

Is this considered a legitimate use for a body donated to science?  Who gets the royalties from the show?

From what I have read this particular exhibition uses undonated bodies from a mental hospital in China.  I'm not sure where the royalties go for this one.

There is another such show called Bodyworlds headed by Dr. Gunther Von Hagens that is the original of this type.  I've seen this one when it came to Denver.  It does use ligitimate and documented donated bodies.  In fact it was noted that they have a list of thousands of future donors.  However, all identities are kept secret from the public.

Yes there is a lot of controversy surrounding these exhibitions.  However, I found Bodyworlds to be very educational and enlightening.  Although I am a massage therapist so I really get into anatomy and physiology.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/07 at 11:36 am

From what I have read this particular exhibition uses undonated bodies from a mental hospital in China.  I'm not sure where the royalties go for this one.

Then they're probably the remains of political dissidents.  If they do not document sworn consent from the individual, I would boycott the show.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/12/07 at 2:04 pm

Do the bodies come in unleaded form?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/07 at 2:10 pm

There was an exhibition like this in Germnay or even here in the UK in the recent few years, it caused an uproar. I see if I can find anything on it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/12/07 at 3:15 pm

Then they're probably the remains of political dissidents.  If they do not document sworn consent from the individual, I would boycott the show.

You're probably correct Max.  China does lock their political dissidents in mental hospitals.  (So does Russia for that matter.)  Yep, boycott is in order.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/07 at 3:36 pm

Bodies: The Exhibition has it's own Wikipedia page

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/07 at 5:00 pm

You're probably correct Max.  China does lock their political dissidents in mental hospitals.  (So does Russia for that matter.)  Yep, boycott is in order.

Thank God we closed all ours down before the fascists took over, otherwise it would be rubber room time for me!
::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/07 at 9:35 pm

Thank God we closed all ours down before the fascists took over, otherwise it would be rubber room time for me!
::)

They're leaving one or two open those down here for those who choose the Insanity Plea.  I agree though places would be full with members of the Green Party and Progressive Democrats.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/07 at 11:28 pm

Man, I didn't get to go see it yet! My friend Jamie and I are now planning on going soon..because plans with Beth & Justin fell through.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/16/07 at 12:05 am

Man, I didn't get to go see it yet! My friend Jamie and I are now planning on going soon..because plans with Beth & Justin fell through.

How dare they not plan accordingly, dead dissected bodies are the best!  >:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/07 at 12:08 am

How dare they not plan accordingly, dead dissected bodies are the best!  >:(

totally, yo.

Check for new replies or respond here...