inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "I'm not necessarily a monster"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/07 at 7:01 pm

Springfield, Mass.

OK, so this psycho Brian K. Cavitt, age 24, holds up a supermarket, goes on the lam, holds an older couple hostage in their own apartment and when they say they're going to call the cops, he murders them both and sets them on fire to hide the evidence.

The couple's daughter refers to him as a "monster" at trial, and what does Cavitt say for himself?

"I'm not necessarily a monster. I'm a little screwed up."

Let's see, Bri, we've got:
1 count of armed robbery
1 count of arson
Home invasion and taking of hostages
2 counts of felony murder
All in one afternoon!  What would you do with two?
:o

Oh, no, no monster here, just a Good Samaritan Eagle Scout!

You know why he did all that? Because he didn't want to go back to prison!
"I've been doing this prison since I was 17," he said.
Wouldn't  you know, he's a Rhodes Scholar too!

http://blog.masslive.com/breakingnews/2007/12/man_convicted_of_double_murder.html

This is no story of international consequence, I'm just venting.  I'm a pretty hardboiled person when it comes to accounts of crime, but azzwholes like Cavitt really push my buttons.
>:(
It's on a Monty Python level of absurdity: I'm not necessarily a monster, let's not jump to conclusions here!  After all, who doesn't burgle grocery stores and murder the elderly?

And on the same Masslive page, there's a picture of a murdering thug, but it's not Cavitt, it's the guy who kidnapped and murdered a Domino's Pizza deliveryman the other day.  Another saint here:
http://blog.masslive.com/breakingnews/2007/12/man_held_without_bail_in_murde_1.html

This may be Springfield, but don't go looking for Ned Flanders!  Good frikkin' grief!

Subject: Re: "I'm not necessarily a monster"

Written By: Tia on 12/11/07 at 7:19 pm

dag, that belongs in the "things not to say to people" thread.

i was reading about that really twisted character in canada, too, today, while i was waiting in line at the dmv. this guy killed something like 26 women that they know of, bragged of wanting to get to 50. at the sentencing at least he had the self-respect to sit there and look callous, unfeeling, and otherwise openly monstrous, which is exactly what you want a maniac like that to do. when they try and defend themselves it just makes everybody more outraged. because how do you defend things like that? it isn't possible.

to be honest, it reminds me of when people defend the iraq war. when they make with the, oh, but we were liberating the people there! we're trying to make the world safe for democracy! maybe YOU'D like to live under saddam?! i'm filled with revulsion and that curious crawling rage that you feel when someone's appropriating the narratives of the truly wronged in order to defend their self-absorbed ventures into unspeakably hideous, vengeful violence. but when somebody goes, "you don't like the iraq war? f**k you! we need the oil!" or "you dont like the iraq war? f**k you! all muslims suck!" then at least you can respect the guy for being in touch with reality. he hates, and he knows it. like the killer who sits indifferently in court as he gets sentenced to the electric chair.

didn't ted bundy blame underwear catalogs or some such?  ::)

Written By: Fruit on 12/11/07 at 7:21 pm

A "little" screwed up? :D The guy's a total dick. I wouldn't call anyone a MONSTER though. He's a human being, just a horrible one. I hope he gets life in prison. The only rights he deserves is the right to not let the couple's daughter kick his ass. >:(

Written By: Red Ant on 12/11/07 at 7:24 pm

"I'm not necessarily a monster. I'm a little screwed up."

Let's see, Bri, we've got:
1 count of armed robbery
1 count of arson
Home invasion and taking of hostages
2 counts of felony murder
All in one afternoon!  What would he do with two?
:o

Genocide, rape, torture and cannibalism perhaps? And on day three he might start an unjust war with a foreign country, like Bush did...

Sadly, this kind of thing happens so often now that he wouldn't make the top 10000 list of supreme losers or other wastes of human DNA.

It's still pretty effed up.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/07 at 9:04 pm

Well, this clown got two consecutive life sentences plus 25 for the burglary so he won't be bothering anybody this side of the prison walls again.  His lawyer might got the 25 knocked off on appeal, but felony murder....jeez, I dunno, that's a toughie. 

At this point a contingent of my fellow Baystaters are saying, "Too bad we don't have the death penalty."
With the death penalty this guy could make himself a Big Name trying to beat the rap with his bigtime civil rights lawyer.  He'd spend 12 years boning up on the law, reading Harry Potter, and watching the tube in his own private cell, then with his appeals exhausted, he'd get his Oysters Rockafeller-and-grape Snapple and go the next day for the hot shot. 

This way he gets to spend six tedious decades in a stinking pod with the other greaseballs, and finally when he's too old and crazy to even remember what he did in the first place, the Grim Reaper will give him a one-way ticket to Luciferville!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

On the other hand, Mikey Dukakis could come back and let him go for a furlough....
:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/07 at 4:09 pm

Three more found dead in Springfield today.  Police determined the bodies woman and two young girls in a Pearl Street apartment to be victims of homicide.  No details as of yet.  Just another routine day for law enforcement in sweet Springfield.
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...