inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Foo Fighters set Modern Rock Tracks record

Written By: sonikuu on 12/13/07 at 1:57 pm

The Foo Fighters have officially set a Modern Rock Tracks chart record with their song "The Pretender".  This week marks the seventeenth week it has been number one, making it the longest time a song has been #1 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.  For the time being, it doesn't look like anything else is coming close to challenging it on the Modern Rock Tracks chart, so it may number one for weeks to come.

Prior to "The Pretender" setting this record, there were three other songs who were tied for the record at sixteen weeks.  These included:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue (1999)
Staind - Its Been Awhile (2001)
Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams (2004-2005)

So, thoughts?  I think the song is good, but not so much to the point where it deserves to set a record for most weeks at #1.  Then again, "Its Been Awhile" spent 16 weeks at number one and I don't think the song was THAT great (good, but not deserving of its success).

Subject: Re: Foo Fighters set Modern Rock Tracks record

Written By: Henk on 12/13/07 at 2:18 pm

Seventeen weeks at #1 seems a bit too much, I agree.

Although I'm not the world's biggest Foo Fighters fan, I did like this particular song. I remember seeing the video and thinking: this sounds like a hit record! Boy, was I wrong (well, over here anyway). It did absolutely nothing in our charts...
We've already moved on to "Long Road to Ruin" now. Not half as good.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/13/07 at 4:47 pm

It's a good song, best rock song ever? no but it's one of the better rock tracks of the year.

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/07 at 10:24 am

17 weeks does seem a bit too long at the top though.  It's a good song, but not that good LOL

Written By: tv on 12/14/07 at 6:06 pm

"The Pretender" not only set "The Modern Rock Track' Record for being #1 on that chart for 17 straight weeks but it also cracked the Top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 which is pretty good for a song for a rock band.

Check for new replies or respond here...