inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HOW ABOUT THEM GLOWING CATS??

Written By: saver on 12/16/07 at 3:55 am

Just saw the news report of genetically cloned cats that glow in the dark...they say this is a step in a good direction...okay maybe one day they can inject??? prisoners, so if they try to escape in the dark of night or in the back of a truck, we'll see them??

Subject: Re: HOW ABOUT THEM GLOWING CATS??

Written By: Tia on 12/16/07 at 5:02 am

omg. that is so NOT okay. :(

http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/oreillyface.jpg

totally weird! the way this government is working though, i think they'd be more inclined to inject everybody who makes less than, say, $75,000 a year. we're pretty much all potential criminals and should probably be made to glow so that rich people know where we are at all times.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/16/07 at 5:25 am

It would benefit my cat if he glowed in the dark - then I wouldn't trip over him when I go to use the head at 4 in the morning. I'll tentatively call this science a "step in the right direction" - better than stepping on the cat.

Ant

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/16/07 at 4:39 pm

That's wrong in so many ways.

Written By: saver on 12/16/07 at 5:00 pm

That's wrong in so many ways.

I'm taking that one down after today..it came up while talking with a comic on WHAT ELSE WILL BE DONE...

Just when I thought of having a list made up, I was told someone already is out there making a top 10 of what you can do with a glow in the dark cat...

so, that may be a fun thread to continue with....... 

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/16/07 at 5:24 pm

I'd like to see this tech applied to cows, pigs, or sheep.

Right now, the only edible material I've found that glows under blacklight/UVA is olive oil, and it's a very dim reddish-orange. Other edible oils (peanuts, grapeseed oil) show up as a rather feeble orangey-green.  All are tasty, but not exactly the foundation of an interesting meal.  Does anyone know of anything edible that, when hit with suitable UV, will glow the sort of bright green associated with encrusted food spills, or the brilliant purple/blue associated with the "whitening agents" in detergents? It'd make dinner a lot more interesting.

Right now, the only other UV-reactive "natural" sources so much less-than-edible that I've only seen them when waving a soft-UV LED flashlight in a hotel room, which serves only as a way to lose one's appetite. (For all the things that do glow in the typical bathroom, edible fungi are a disappointment, although I've tried a few non-mold-based cheeses, and a few basic mushroom varieties to no avail.)

Check for new replies or respond here...