inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CompUSA: Going out of Business

Written By: Red Ant on 12/16/07 at 5:20 am

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=fbbb9653-e6c5-48d4-95b8-f934cd20a025

I have to admit I'm a bit shocked to hear that CompUSA was sold and that all of their stores will be closed by the end of 2008.

Shocked, but not sad at all. The past few times I was in the Newport News store customer service on the floor was non-existant, the game selection was... lacking, and big screen TVs have no place in a computer store.

I won't even start on their generally laughable tech support...

Anyone know the exact reason(s) they are closing?

Ant

Subject: Re: CompUSA: Going out of Business

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/07 at 5:25 am

I noticed the same with CompUSA, and with Office Max before them.  I had the same problems, which could be the problem.

Written By: Davester on 12/16/07 at 7:06 am

Wow, they're gone...

Haven't been there in awhile (at least a year, maybe two) but it was definatey a toy store.  I never relied on retail chains for tech support, anyway, mostly the manufacturer...

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/07 at 7:25 am

I wonder who bought it and then shut it down? Does not make sense, unless they bought it cheap, for less than what they will get for selling off all the inventory and whatnot.

Back in the day, CompUSA was pretty cool.  But I agree over the past few years its offerings were a real suck-o-rama.  :-\\

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/16/07 at 9:29 am

I always found CompUSA's prices ALWAYS being higher than anyone elses and their customer service lousy.  I think they like to hire computer techies with horrible people skills to work in their stores. 

Screw em.

Written By: snozberries on 12/16/07 at 1:40 pm

I thought it was just ours I didn't realize it was the whole organization.  They are pretty high priced a coworker just turned me on to newegg.com

Check for new replies or respond here...