inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good/Bad News About The Hobbit

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/18/07 at 8:20 pm

The Good news:

It's going ahead after all, with Peter Jackson as executive producer.

Bad news:

Prepare for a long wait, it won't be in theatres until 2010/2011.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_en_ot/film_the_hobbit

Subject: Re: Good/Bad News About The Hobbit

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/07 at 9:38 pm

So when is going to do "The Silmarillion"?
;)

That's not so far off.  The future always looks more distant than the past.  How long ago does 2004 seem?  That's about the time span we're dealing with.

I'm not a Tolkein geek myself, but I grew up with his books and Middle Earth was very formative in the development of my imagination.  It seemed in the 1990s that Tolkein was starting to slip into obscurity, at least compared to the '70s when in the years following his death, Tolkein became a literary superstar.  I'm grateful to Peter Jackson for preserving Tolkein's world on film.  Cinema and novel are fundamentally different media, so the films can't do the same as the books no matter how good they are.  I think Jackson did a superb job creating a product that was both integral to Tolkein's vision and appealing to public tastes.  I hope Jackson's movies keep inspiring people to read Tolkein's books as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...