inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: BBC search to find Oliver! boys

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/07 at 7:58 am

A new TV talent search to find the next stars of the musical Oliver! will begin in the new year, the BBC has announced.

I'd Do Anything will be looking to find an actress for the role of Nancy and three young actors who will take turns as Oliver in the Lionel Bart musical.

Graham Norton will again host the show after leading previous searches for the stars of Joseph and The Sound of Music.

Auditions will begin in early 2008 and the programme will be broadcast on BBC One later in the year.

Norton will be joined by Andrew Lloyd Webber for the programme along with fellow impresario Cameron Mackintosh.

Subject: Re: BBC search to find Oliver! boys

Written By: saver on 12/22/07 at 9:33 pm

Stage show I would guess?
Like the 'Grease' search in the states?

I loved Oliver and what may have made it so, was the timing of the world situation...musicals were king, and the kids used in the film were not lookinglike major rich kids doing it to get a tv or break by outshining each other.

The 'Our Gang' comedies were great when they came out and have lasted using poor/normal kids, then they tried a 'Little Rascals' movie which was hoping to do well but didn't have that 'feel' to it...

whatever happens good luck..L.A. most recently did a production(I hear using nonunion actors?) and was panned and was not to be seen..I love a good Ol iver production..and would love to see it if it travels.. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/07 at 12:46 pm

I'm sure there are many who can do it, but I can't imagine anyone else playing Fagin but Ron Moody. The way he is "I'm Reviewing the Situation" was just great.

Cat

Written By: saver on 12/23/07 at 6:01 pm

I'm sure there are many who can do it, but I can't imagine anyone else playing Fagin but Ron Moody. The way he is "I'm Reviewing the Situation" was just great.

Cat

Youtube has a section of oliver reunion clips that made my eyes water!

One is Ton Moody from the film singing 'Pick a Pocket, then they cut to him with the grown up Olive actor singing the next line...as well as Ron and the Artful Dodger then and now as they walked down the cobblestone lane..arm in arm doing their same skip along....priceless!(as Jack is now deceased) :\'( 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/24/07 at 5:36 pm

Good effing grief!
8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/07 at 3:16 pm

Cat
Originally for Oliver! Lionel Brat's first choice for Fagin was Peter Sellers.

Written By: saver on 12/31/07 at 6:51 pm

Originally for Oliver! Lionel Brat's first choice for Fagin was Peter Sellers.

I have all his record!

Peter Sellers a singer? Where else have we heard his singing?

Check for new replies or respond here...