inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What a wuss!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/23/07 at 12:36 pm

Allentown man sues 8-year-old Colorado boy over ski slope collision

The Associated Press
    11:40 PM EST, December 20, 2007

VAIL, Colo.| - A 60-year-old man is taking an 8-year-old boy and his dad to court, claiming the boy caused a ski-slope collision that left the older man with a shoulder injury.

David J. Pfahler of Allentown has sued in federal court in Denver, claiming Scott Swimm, then 7, was skiing fast and recklessly when they collided in January, the Vail Daily reported today.

The suit claims Pfahler suffered a torn shoulder tendon and seeks compensation for physical therapy, vacation time, nursing and medical services provided by Pfahler's wife, and other expenses.

It estimates the couple's losses at more than $75,000.

Scott's father, Robb Swimm, said that he saw the crash and that Scott was skiing slowly and in control.

"It wasn't a violent collision or anything; Scott just kind of tapped his ski boots," he said this week.

Scott's mother, Susan Swimm, said her son weighs 48 pounds and couldn't have been going more than 10 mph.

"Who in the world sues a child?" she said. "It just boggles my mind every day."

Pfahler's Denver attorney, Jim Chalat, declined to comment on specifics but says Pfahler, who works for Reader's Digest, wants to go back to work.

A grown man suing a child? How weak is that?!?  >:(

Subject: Re: What a wuss!

Written By: Jessica on 12/23/07 at 1:37 pm

Allentown man sues 8-year-old Colorado boy over ski slope collision

The Associated Press
    11:40 PM EST, December 20, 2007

VAIL, Colo.| - A 60-year-old man is taking an 8-year-old boy and his dad to court, claiming the boy caused a ski-slope collision that left the older man with a shoulder injury.

David J. Pfahler of Allentown has sued in federal court in Denver, claiming Scott Swimm, then 7, was skiing fast and recklessly when they collided in January, the Vail Daily reported today.

The suit claims Pfahler suffered a torn shoulder tendon and seeks compensation for physical therapy, vacation time, nursing and medical services provided by Pfahler's wife, and other expenses.

It estimates the couple's losses at more than $75,000.

Scott's father, Robb Swimm, said that he saw the crash and that Scott was skiing slowly and in control.

"It wasn't a violent collision or anything; Scott just kind of tapped his ski boots," he said this week.

Scott's mother, Susan Swimm, said her son weighs 48 pounds and couldn't have been going more than 10 mph.

"Who in the world sues a child?" she said. "It just boggles my mind every day."

Pfahler's Denver attorney, Jim Chalat, declined to comment on specifics but says Pfahler, who works for Reader's Digest, wants to go back to work.

A grown man suing a child? How weak is that?!?   >:(

The fool works at Reader's Digest. Even if the kid did hurt him, how would that stop him from working?

Like the judge who sued that Chinese couple for his supposedly ruined pants, I hope this guy gets what he deserves: NOTHING.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/23/07 at 5:07 pm

A grown man suing a child? How weak is that?!?   >:(

Really weak. Kids have no money.

He should go after the ski resort, the manufacturer of the kid's skis, anyone within 50 yards of the incident, the city, the state of Denver and, of course, mother nature for providing the snow.  ::)

Joking aside, what gets me more than the fact this guy is suing a kid is that he found a lawyer to represent him.

Ant

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/23/07 at 5:59 pm

He should go after the ski resort, the manufacturer of the kid's skis, anyone within 50 yards of the incident, the city, the state of Denver and, of course, mother nature for providing the snow.  ::)

Joking aside, what gets me more than the fact this guy is suing a kid is that he found a lawyer to represent him.

Ant
I agree.  How did this fool find a lawyer?  Don't you assume a certain amount of risk when you ski?  Even if the kid had been  hotdogging, it was an accident.  Now, if this kid was goofing around with his equipment and whacked the guy in the head, I could kinda see it (although that's even a strech).

Written By: danootaandme on 12/23/07 at 6:23 pm

People can sue a child, but the responsibility is on the parents to pay when I child is involved, so he is actually suing the parents.

Written By: Tia on 12/23/07 at 6:38 pm

dude, i'm quitting my job tomorrow and forging a cottage industry out of litigating against toddlers. BMW, house on the hamptons and fat trust fund, here i come! 8)

http://raisingchildren.net.au/verve/_resources/sad.jpg

suck it up kid! where's my 20 mil? >:(

Written By: wildcard on 12/23/07 at 7:10 pm

Sounds like someone engered themself and then decided to sue the next person he came in contact with. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/07 at 11:59 pm

dude, i'm quitting my job tomorrow and forging a cottage industry out of litigating against toddlers. BMW, house on the hamptons and fat trust fund, here i come! 8)

http://raisingchildren.net.au/verve/_resources/sad.jpg

suck it up kid! where's my 20 mil? >:(

You could be the first Fisher-Price ambulance chaser.  When the kid settles out of court, don't be surprised if the judge lets him pay in Monopoly money!

If this guy's skiing at Vail, chances are he's not hurting for cash.
::)

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 1:40 am

lets see an old guy on skis got injured... the kid probably wasn't even there!  ;D 

Written By: Midas on 12/24/07 at 2:36 pm

The fool works at Reader's Digest. Even if the kid did hurt him, how would that stop him from working?

He's probably trying to get $100 from his employer for submitting a funny story.  :P :D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...