inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2008 Predictions

Written By: sonikuu on 12/28/07 at 12:23 am

Since people in the "2007 Predictions" topic are starting to make predictions for 2008, I figured we could have our own topic devoted to 2008 predictions.  That way, we can come back to it a year from now and laugh...or brag about how our predictions were right.  So, feel free to post your 2008 predictions (or copy and paste if you already posted your predictions in the 2007 topic).  Here are some of my predictions for next year:

- A recession will officially start next year.  Our economy is currently in a slowdown, but a recession hasn't really begun yet.  Speaking of economic troubles, the US dollar will continue to lose value.
- Dance-influenced music, mainly produced by Timbaland, will continue to be popular, making the 2006-2008 (maybe 2009?) the "Timbaland Era".
- The writer's strike will continue into the spring and will result in a slew of rushed reality and game shows to compensate.  
- Rap will continue to lose its popularity (its still popular now, but less popular than it was in, say, 2004) and will continue to worsen in quality as things continue to resemble the state of Hair Metal (Rap's lost rock and roll cousin) in 1990-1992.  However, we may see a rise in the popularity of a sort of "Alternative Rap".  Kind of like how rock bands like U2 and REM became popular at the same time the Hair Metal era was at its peak.
- The influence of Emo will begin to disappear this year.  Most music trends only last 3-5 years and Emo's reaching that point.  Pop-Emo like Fall Out Boy and Paramore may continue to be popular, but "real Emo" will begin to die off.
- The 80s comeback will continue to hit the box office hard.  This year already saw 80s revivals like Transformers and Die Hard.  Next year we'll have Indiania Jones, Ghostbusters, and Rambo!
- In video games, the Wii will continue to sell well, but it will never gain the sheer dominance that the PS2 had at its peak (Wii is currently winning the "sales war" by 2 million one year after release.  PS2 was winning the sales war by 10 million one year after its release).  The PS3 will finally see a boost in sales and will no longer be a laughingstock while the Xbox 360 continues to be a strong competitor against the Wii.  2008 will be an amazing video game year just like 2007 was.
- The new president will either be Barack Obama, Ron Paul (I can dream can't I?  The man's got more Google searches than any other candidate), or a corrupt politician that will only result in things being more of the same for four more years.

Overall, I'd say 2008 will be a very good year, but with some major flaws.  It'll probably rank in the middle for 00s years.  It won't be a major defining year of the 00s, but it will definitely not be the worst either.

Subject: Re: 2008 Predictions

Written By: Red Ant on 12/28/07 at 1:27 am

I'm not good at predictions, so I'll play it safe:

2008:

~ Will be the year of the Rat.
~ Will have a February 29th
~ Will have a presidential election
~ Will go down as the year between 2007 and 2009.

Well, that's kinda boring. Let's make some real predictions:

~At least one song will contain 2008 spelt out.
~Someone will start a new website that attracts more people than YouTube and MySpace put together.
~~That someone will not be me.
~ A new lottery jackpot record will be set.
~~ The winner will not be me.

Um, hmmm, that's about it for now.

- The new president will either be Barack Obama, Ron Paul (I can dream can't I?  The man's got more Google searches than any other candidate), or a corrupt politician that will only result in things being more of the same for four more years.

That doesn't really cut down the potential field, does it?  :D

Ant

Written By: saver on 12/28/07 at 1:41 am

Transferring my post from 2007 end..I hope not ..but have this feeling Ed McMahon may not make it through the year.....

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/28/07 at 1:42 am

My Predictions for '08:
~ New Zealand will get a new Prime Minister
~ More artists will start selling CDs directly to the consumer as Radiohead did this year
~ "Rock" will become the dominant genre of music again, with Rap & Hip-Hop falling to second place
~ CD sales will continue to decline
~ The recording industry will continue to blame torrents & p2p
~ The year will be 24 hours longer than 2007
~ I shall finally visit overseas
~ 2008 shall be the warmest year on record

Written By: Red Ant on 12/28/07 at 1:43 am

Transferring my post from 2007 end..I hope not ..but have this feeling Ed McMahon may not make it through the year.....

If we're playing celebrity death pool I'd have money on Jimmy Carter and Fred Phelps... not that I want to see Jimmy go.

Ant

Written By: saver on 12/28/07 at 3:37 am

If we're playing celebrity death pool I'd have money on Jimmy Carter and Fred Phelps... not that I want to see Jimmy go.

Ant

This wasn't really to be a death pool..for years people would alwas include POPE John Paul II but this came as a feeling which I explained elsewhere, I thought of this and a few minutes later a talkshow host had Ed on to say Merry Christmas for a minute and I thought the synchronicity set in and must mean my feeling may be right.

He seems like a heathy guy, but I won't pick apart my feeling as I have made a couple of amazing bizarre predictions nationally and therefore write this to be on record to see if I did it again...please no wagering and no influencing the prediction by scaring him in any way to drop over.  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 12/28/07 at 4:12 am

we die!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/07 at 11:35 am

I usually start this thread but I am glad to see someone else did this year (and hopefully someone will remember to bump it up next Dec.)

As for my predictions:

As for being very predictable  ;) The Mets will FINALLY win the World Series (instead of complete blowing their lead in Sept. like they did in 2007  >:( >:( >:( )

More violence will increase in Pakistan and Afghanistan.  Pres. Pervez Musharraf will be assassinated as a retaliation for the assassination of Benazir Bhutto. The U.N. as well as many countries may send in troops to Pakistan to try to quell the violence. The Bush Administration won't want to be a part of the U.N. actions but will try to convince the American public that the real threat lies in Iran.

Many members of the U.S. Congress will lose in Nov.'s election. The winner of the Dem. nom will be either Barack Obama or John Edwards and which one wins the Primary, will win the general election in Nov.

More to come later.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 12/28/07 at 11:42 am

I will turn 28. :D

Written By: Marian on 12/28/07 at 2:55 pm

I will turn 43!

Written By: La Roche on 12/28/07 at 3:01 pm

Barry Bonds will be violated in a very unpleasent manner by an even bigger guy.
I'll lose total interest in the election as news coverage becomes a 27 hour per day event. (Picture in picture.)
I'll break something really expensive and try and blame an intern.. oh, sorry, that should have been under 'things that happened in 2007'.
Metallica will release their new album and... it'll be a hit and kickoff a career resurgance.
Tom Araya will announce he's going to give his body a rest and step down from being Slayer's leadman... suicide rates will quadruple overnight.

Written By: Guest on 12/28/07 at 7:51 pm

Predictions:

-A recession starts next year.

-Emo begins to disappear off the pop radar screen. Its influence is still felt however, similar to the state grunge was in around 1995/96.

-Rap continues to be popular, but it officially enters its "late hair metal period". It will be very cheesy and bad but the era will be at its tail end.

-Hannah Montanah continues to be popularity among tweens. I don't agree with the idea that a surge in Dance music is occuring due to Timbaland since hes pretty much a veteran at this point and has been around quite a while. 

-Either Barack Obama or John Edwards will face off against John McCain or Mike Huckabee in the 08' Elections. Hillary and Guliani both self destruct and lose the nomination.

-CD sales fall off the face of the earth for good. Best Buy and Wal Mart sharply reduce floorspace for them.

-Sales of Mp3 players will officially peak. Simultaneously cellphones will begin to emerge as a serious contender/replacement for mp3 players with such products as the iPhone, LG voyager and hopefully Google Phone. At least one solution will emerge for the record industry's woes. Probably subscription music thats cost is covered with the bills of mobile phones. With deals like Rhapsody/Verizon/Mtv taking place, mobile phones will begin to become platforms for more than just ringtones.

-The writers strike will continue into the spring or summer. Tv will be abysmal. Once the strike ends however, drafts for new shows will emerge, however the shows won't emerge until the year after. Kind of how after the 1988 writers strike ended both the Simpsons and Seinfield emerged soon after in 1989. (Not to get into too much decadeology however)

-The Internet will begin to be looked at as the dominant platform for future broadcasting distribution. It won't fully bloom yet in 2008, but it will begin to come of age.

- Functioning and speed of the internet slows dramatically with all the traffic causing congestion due to the proliferation of stuff like YouTube/blogs/etc. This will only be temporary, but still a major pain in the ass.

-Videogames will continue to enjoy a golden age, Wii PS3 and Xbox360 all will compete strongly against each other. The Wii in particular recovers Nintendo's ground after the more mute reception to the Gamecube.

Written By: Mary Christmas on 12/29/07 at 7:16 am

I hope its a good one one with any fear.

Written By: Blackjack on 12/29/07 at 9:28 am

2008:

~Someone will start a new website that attracts more people than YouTube and MySpace put together.

Ant

that will be something like theplace.com or even Facebook  :)

Written By: Blackjack on 12/29/07 at 9:33 am

Here are my music predictions for 2008 and 2009!!!

2008 - Rock music rises.  Harder rock, less emo.  Hair band comeback and grunge makes a slight revival.
Hip-hop still mainstream but not as much in 2007.  Electrohop becomes mainstream and Trip-Hop hits America. Southern rap dies - west coast creeps backs.  More old school sounding stuff.
R&B rises in popularity.. peak of beat orientated R&B.
Dance/electronica rises as the year progresses, and starts to collide with pop, rock, and rap.
Country music artists will have more hits.
The indie, hipster stage dies.
1980s style music comes in, especially hair bands
Rise of this country-rap stuff such as Cowboy Troy and Montgomery Gentry

2009 - New wave of boy bands come in.  Pop music becomes highly popular again. Teen pop especially.  Dance/electronica mainstream, replacing rap.  Last real year for hip-hop, but will be killed by dance and rock music.  Grunge comes back in rock as 1990s revival of 2010s kick in.  Emo will finally be dead.  Rap turns old school and more west coast orientated.  Classic rock revival peaks.  Similar to 2000 in music.  2010s style music comes in.  2000s music experiences backlash by late 2008.  All styles of music, especially rock will sound like trance  or trip-hop.  MySpace will hit over 300,000,000 people and will start to die off; the music section will only keep it alive.  Many MySpace.com artists will hit mainstream rock, hip-hop, pop, and dance radio... it happened with Plain White T's.  Country will be huge and R&B will dominate the urban charts.

Written By: woops on 12/29/07 at 4:43 pm

Tex Avery MGM  cartoons  should released on DVD

I know Droopy was released some months ago

Written By: fusefan on 12/29/07 at 5:39 pm

2009 - New wave of boy bands come in.  Pop music becomes highly popular again. Teen pop especially. 

Yuuuuck! I'm definitely not looking forward to that. If that happens. (hopefully not.)  :P ::)

Written By: Jessica on 12/29/07 at 5:56 pm

Tex Avery MGM  cartoons  should released on DVD

I wish. I love the Tex Avery cartoons.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/29/07 at 7:33 pm

My Predictions:

--Michael Jackson will tour--with a ticket prine I can afford, release a new album and make a tremendous comeback.

--Prince will probably put out another album and hopefully end his war with the internet.

--Britney Spears will give up the music industry, go into rehab--stay--and come out and be a good mother to her boys.

--Gas prices will FINALLY go back under $1.00

--1980s styles will make a full comeback. Even the Members Only jackets.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/30/07 at 3:18 am

I wish. I love the Tex Avery cartoons.
stoners the world round are with you in solidarity. i like the one where tom and jerry are on the space station.

wait. was that tex avery? i forget. anyway, pass the cheez doodles.

Written By: La Roche on 12/30/07 at 6:10 am

stoners the world round are with you in solidarity. i like the one where tom and jerry are on the space station.

wait. was that tex avery? i forget. anyway, pass the cheez doodles.

MotherF**ker! Stick Fantasia on!

Written By: blabla8 on 12/30/07 at 8:12 am

Moody styles and behaviors become out of fashion again, since early 2001.

Movies: becoming more lighthearted and relaxed.

Music: hip-hop, R&B, snap music, pop punk, emo and other trashy styles are losing popularity due the fact that 5 and a half years of popularity are way too much for them. Turbo folk in Europe declines too, due to the same reasons.

Fashion and clothes: The boho and preppy looks of the 00's declining. More moderate, 90's styles are slowly becoming revived, peaking in 2010s.

Politics: Bush is finally out.

Cars: People become increasingly fad up with the so-called SUVs and crossovers, they start liking real cars again. Straight lines are already dominant for five years in car design. However, that trend will probably soon be over, since most of the people I know personally and in internet forums are complaining that even family cars are looking way too aggressive. Maybe they miss the happy-face-like and bubble-like oval cars of the 90's?

I am not sure, but the anti-00's backlash may start as early as 2008. I just hope that the 10's will be the new 90's, equally as good, with almost all of the then-current pop culture and styles and very few changes. God, I'm already fed up with 00's trends. At the end of the 90's I wasn't fed up with any of the 90's trends.

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 12/30/07 at 4:15 pm

2008 - Rock music rises.  Harder rock, less emo.  Hair band comeback and grunge makes a slight revival.
Hip-hop still mainstream but not as much in 2007.  Electrohop becomes mainstream and Trip-Hop hits America. Southern rap dies - west coast creeps backs.  More old school sounding stuff.
Dance/electronica rises as the year progresses, and starts to collide with pop, rock, and rap.

2009 - New wave of boy bands come in.  Pop music becomes highly popular again. Teen pop especially.   Dance/electronica mainstream, replacing rap.  Last real year for hip-hop, but will be killed by dance and rock music.  Grunge comes back in rock as 1990s revival of 2010s kick in.  Emo will finally be dead.  Rap turns old school and more west coast orientated.  Classic rock revival peaks.  Similar to 2000 in music.  2010s style music comes in.  2000s music experiences backlash by late 2008.  All styles of music, especially rock will sound like trance  or trip-hop.  MySpace will hit over 300,000,000 people and will start to die off; the music section will only keep it alive.  Many MySpace.com artists will hit mainstream rock, hip-hop, pop, and dance radio... it happened with Plain White T's.  Country will be huge and R&B will dominate the urban charts.

I think it already has, but don't take my word for it.Make it more like 500,000,000.

Written By: Lindee on 12/31/07 at 9:29 am

For 2008. I hope that every rapper will go to prison and that will be the end of (c)rap music.  8-P

Written By: woops on 12/31/07 at 4:40 pm

"High School Musical 3" flops in the big screen  :D

More vintage animation on DVD

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/31/07 at 6:51 pm

I think it already has, but don't take my word for it.Make it more like 500,000,000.
Myspace is the 6th most visited site on the 'net.

Written By: Blackjack on 12/31/07 at 8:49 pm

Here's another one.  MySpace.com will be hacked by a major virus in 2008 and that will be the end of MySpace.  :)

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 12/31/07 at 9:21 pm

2009 - New wave of boy bands come in.  Pop music becomes highly popular again. Teen pop especially.  Dance/electronica mainstream, replacing rap.  Last real year for hip-hop, but will be killed by dance and rock music.  Grunge comes back in rock as 1990s revival of 2010s kick in.  Emo will finally be dead.  Rap turns old school and more west coast orientated.  Classic rock revival peaks.  Similar to 2000 in music.  2010s style music comes in.  2000s music experiences backlash by late 2008.  All styles of music, especially rock will sound like trance  or trip-hop.  MySpace will hit over 300,000,000 people and will start to die off; the music section will only keep it alive.  Many MySpace.com artists will hit mainstream rock, hip-hop, pop, and dance radio... it happened with Plain White T's.  Country will be huge and R&B will dominate the urban charts.

Your prediction for 2008 would be pretty cool if it happens.  Id love to see emo die, and REAL metal come back.  It would kinda be cool if trance came in too.  1980's metal.....yeah....I hope it happens :D!! :D :D 

My predictions:

~PS3 will be epic, Wii will continue not to have any games worth playing, and 360 will be......well, somewhere in the dumpster.
~Emo music dies a hard, painful death.....(no pun intended)
~GRAND THEFT AUTO 4 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
~Stupid kids quit ruining electronics and the internet (a guy can dream cant he?)
~PC Gaming will dominate the Video Game industry :D
~Annoying people will start to STFU
~Life will stop sucking and 2008 will be alot like the 1990's :D

Atleast some of its true. lol

Written By: Lindee on 01/01/08 at 11:15 am

What's the big deal about High School Musical?

Written By: Blackjack on 01/01/08 at 6:01 pm

What's the big deal about High School Musical?

It is a great musical... and a great movie.  Something for the Disney channel to suck money out of our ass... idk.  We're doing this for a real High School Musical this spring.

Written By: tv on 01/02/08 at 8:20 am

Moody styles and behaviors become out of fashion again, since early 2001.

Movies: becoming more lighthearted and relaxed.

Music: hip-hop, R&B, snap music, pop punk, emo and other trashy styles are losing popularity due the fact that 5 and a half years of popularity are way too much for them. Turbo folk in Europe declines too, due to the same reasons.

Fashion and clothes: The boho and preppy looks of the 00's declining. More moderate, 90's styles are slowly becoming revived, peaking in 2010s.

Politics: Bush is finally out.

Cars: People become increasingly fad up with the so-called SUVs and crossovers, they start liking real cars again. Straight lines are already dominant for five years in car design. However, that trend will probably soon be over, since most of the people I know personally and in internet forums are complaining that even family cars are looking way too aggressive. Maybe they miss the happy-face-like and bubble-like oval cars of the 90's?

I am not sure, but the anti-00's backlash may start as early as 2008. I just hope that the 10's will be the new 90's, equally as good, with almost all of the then-current pop culture and styles and very few changes. God, I'm already fed up with 00's trends. At the end of the 90's I wasn't fed up with any of the 90's trends.
Yeah the same people who say family cars look too aggressive are probably the same people who cried wolf and said how bland style the Accord and Camry were 10 years ago. I mean the average Camry buyer was 55 years old before the 2007 redesign of the model. I think car companies are trying to get the average age buyer down by styling more expressive cars. I mean as a guy who follows the auto industry people would complain on how bland cars looked 10 years ago. As far as a Nissan Altima or a Mazda 6 looking agressive Mazda and Nissan can;t play the same game as Toyota and Honda do. Both Companies tried that and almost went under in the mid or late 90's.

As far as people being fed up with SUVs well people are I mean sales(at least in the mid-size SUV segment) of the Ford Explorer and the Chevrolet Trailblazer were like very good like 5 years ago but now they have fallen dramatically. As far as Crossover SUVs declining in popularity its not going to happen I mean sales of the Ford Edge,, Honda CR-V and GMC Acadia really good right now.  I think more people are buying cars that they need rather than buying an SUV because everybody else had one which was happening from 1997-2003. Look at sales of a compact car like the Mazda 3: sales of that car are real good.

As far as music goes R&B has always been popular like every decade especially the 60's, early to mid 70's, and the 90's. I agree I think snap music and EMO have its day in the sun and its time for those 2 trends too exit the music scene. As far as hip-hop goes its not going anywhere I mean hip-hop has been around for like 29 years so its not going anywhere anytime soon. Pop-Punk hasn;t been popular since like the late 90's until  it mustated into EMO.

Yeah I;m tired of current trends too (mosty music.)

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 01/02/08 at 7:48 pm

HSM3 is giong to be a TV movie. HSM 4 will be in theateres.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/02/08 at 9:16 pm

Here's my Predictions....

-The Iraq War will still be fought
-The Recession will go in full-swing by October
-The Simpsons will have another season
-Another Pro Wrestler will be dead
-Cleveland will not I REPEAT will not win a Championship
-Gas will be $3.00 per gallon and stay that way
-The U.S.A. Will be leading the Olympics
-Cleo will still have troubles
-There will be a protest in the RNC Convention
-The winner of the Elections will be Obama.

And for deaths...

I'm unsure, but as for popular evangelicals they will be deceased in 2012.

Written By: Midas on 01/03/08 at 6:14 pm

I will get a raise
Philip Eno will reach 200,000 posts
A former member will still haunt this forum

The end.

Written By: Monkey on 01/03/08 at 7:07 pm

-Miley will become the next Britney

Written By: sugar168 on 01/03/08 at 11:18 pm

2008:

Ant

YEPPERS IT'S A LEAP YEAR!!! I TURN 6!!!!! WOO HOO VERY EXCITED HERE...AND ITS IN 55 DAYS!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/08 at 2:28 pm

The end.

You got that right-again & again & again & again.

Some people just don't get the hint.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/08 at 2:39 pm

The pop group Queen with Paul Rodgers as frontman will play the O2 Arena in London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 5:48 pm

I will get a raise
One of these occured today.

The end.
One of these was achieved yesterday.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/20/08 at 8:37 pm

-The Iraq War will still be fought
-The Simpsons will have another season
-Another Pro Wrestler will be dead
-Cleveland will not I REPEAT will not win a Championship
-Gas will be $3.00 per gallon and stay that way
-The U.S.A. Will be leading the Olympics
-There will be a protest in the RNC Convention

And for deaths...

I'm unsure, but as for popular evangelicals they will be deceased in 2012.

The ones in red are on the dot, but the gas one isn't...sadly.

And Donald Rumsfeld is being questioned as we speak.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/08 at 9:54 am

One of these was achieved yesterday.

Yeah, "A former member will still haunt this forum."  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/21/08 at 11:37 pm

-Miley will become the next Britney

HARVEST!  We must have a good harvest! 

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 7:29 am

Yeah, "A former member will still haunt this forum."  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
I was a witness to that...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/08 at 11:51 am

I will get a raise
Another of these has been achieved!

The end.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/08 at 11:55 am

The pop group Queen with Paul Rodgers as frontman will play the O2 Arena in London.
...and yes, Paul Rodgers has sung with Queen

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/09/08 at 2:52 pm

-The Iraq War will still be fought (This may be our last year over there.)
-The Simpsons will have another season (I was right.)
-Another Pro Wrestler will be dead (Does ECW Count?)
-Cleveland will not I REPEAT will not win a Championship (See that Cowboys Game?)
-Gas will be $3.00 per gallon and stay that way (It's going down...but not at $3.00)
-The U.S.A. Will be leading the Olympics (Close, only China has more gold.)
-There will be a protest in the RNC Convention (Nothing Major.)

So far...I'm right.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/08 at 3:55 pm

So far...I'm right.
There is still the ParaOlympics... ?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/10/08 at 4:54 pm

Since people in the "2007 Predictions" topic are starting to make predictions for 2008, I figured we could have our own topic devoted to 2008 predictions.  That way, we can come back to it a year from now and laugh...or brag about how our predictions were right.  So, feel free to post your 2008 predictions (or copy and paste if you already posted your predictions in the 2007 topic).  Here are some of my predictions for next year:

- A recession will officially start next year.  Our economy is currently in a slowdown, but a recession hasn't really begun yet.  Speaking of economic troubles, the US dollar will continue to lose value. Correct
- Dance-influenced music, mainly produced by Timbaland, will continue to be popular, making the 2006-2008 (maybe 2009?) the "Timbaland Era".  Wrong.  Dance music is not as popular as it was in 2007.  Teen Pop like Miley Cyrus is getting popular though, thus contributing to my theory of Teen Pop being very popular towards the end of decades.
- The writer's strike will continue into the spring and will result in a slew of rushed reality and game shows to compensate.  Wrong, although that doesn't stop tv from sucking.
- Rap will continue to lose its popularity (its still popular now, but less popular than it was in, say, 2004) and will continue to worsen in quality as things continue to resemble the state of Hair Metal (Rap's lost rock and roll cousin) in 1990-1992.  However, we may see a rise in the popularity of a sort of "Alternative Rap".  Kind of like how rock bands like U2 and REM became popular at the same time the Hair Metal era was at its peak. Somewhat correct.  "Alternative Rap" got a major boost with the mainstream success of Lupe Fisco's song "Superstar" and Rap is certainly cheesy.  However, Rap has been at the #1 spot of the Hot 100 for far longer than it was in 2007.
- The influence of Emo will begin to disappear this year.  Most music trends only last 3-5 years and Emo's reaching that point.  Pop-Emo like Fall Out Boy and Paramore may continue to be popular, but "real Emo" will begin to die off.  True, at least around here.  Pop-Emo is still popular, but true Emo is going the way of the dinosaur around here.
- The 80s comeback will continue to hit the box office hard.  This year already saw 80s revivals like Transformers and Die Hard.  Next year we'll have Indiania Jones, Ghostbusters, and Rambo!  Okay, Ghostbusters 3 got serious delays due to scripting, but the rest is correct.
- In video games, the Wii will continue to sell well, but it will never gain the sheer dominance that the PS2 had at its peak (Wii is currently winning the "sales war" by 2 million one year after release.  PS2 was winning the sales war by 10 million one year after its release).  The PS3 will finally see a boost in sales and will no longer be a laughingstock while the Xbox 360 continues to be a strong competitor against the Wii.  2008 will be an amazing video game year just like 2007 was.  Mostly correct, but Xbox 360 is not a strong competitor at all at this point.
- The new president will either be Barack Obama, Ron Paul (I can dream can't I?  The man's got more Google searches than any other candidate), or a corrupt politician that will only result in things being more of the same for four more years.  Ron Paul was a good man, but doomed to fail in retrospect.  Obama should win, but I am losing hope that Americans are smart enough not to vote Republican yet again

Overall, I'd say 2008 will be a very good year, but with some major flaws.  It'll probably rank in the middle for 00s years.  It won't be a major defining year of the 00s, but it will definitely not be the worst either.

Eh, overall I did pretty decently.  To be honest, 2008 is kind of a letdown for me, especially in the realm of Rap music.  I'm starting to lose hope that mainstream Rap will ever be good again.  The people who listen to it are just too stupid to demand more from their music.  Other than that, 2008 is decent, I guess.  Probably rank it at #5 out of 9 at this point.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/10/08 at 8:38 pm

Eh, overall I did pretty decently.  To be honest, 2008 is kind of a letdown for me, especially in the realm of Rap music.  I'm starting to lose hope that mainstream Rap will ever be good again.  The people who listen to it are just too stupid to demand more from their music.  Other than that, 2008 is decent, I guess.  Probably rank it at #5 out of 9 at this point.

Speaking of rap, you know what I think a really good song is? "Check Your Coat" by Oneal McKnight, which came out at the beginning of the year. I'm surprised it didn't pick up in popularity since it sounds like a cross between a modern club/dance song and Off the Wall/Thriller era Michael Jackson. I'd love for mainstream rap to go in a direction like that (more dancey and old-school, but fresh at the same time).

Other than the small changes you pointed out, I haven't noticed MUCH of a change since, say the middle of 2005 (although probably people in high school would notice more minute things).

I think we're past the point where pop culture will noticeably change every year, except for technology. It seems like tech kinda has taken over for fashion and music in terms of dating quickly (like, people would probably laugh at you for having a 2003 cell phone). People don't seem to care much about everything else, and lots of younger people seem to be more proud of being retro now.

That said, I think the election (and for better or worse, McCain definitely looks poised to win. I think his approval rate went way up when Sarah Palin became his running mate) will start to really change things. There's a slight difference in feel now with the Bush era declining, but I don't think it'll become noticeable until 2009 and probably not totally until 2011/12ish. I do hope the Iraq war doesn't continue (and that McCain isn't Dubya part II), that's been one of the most tragic elements of the zeroes.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/11/08 at 1:58 am

Speaking of rap, you know what I think a really good song is? "Check Your Coat" by Oneal McKnight, which came out at the beginning of the year. I'm surprised it didn't pick up in popularity since it sounds like a cross between a modern club/dance song and Off the Wall/Thriller era Michael Jackson. I'd love for mainstream rap to go in a direction like that (more dancey and old-school, but fresh at the same time).

Other than the small changes you pointed out, I haven't noticed MUCH of a change since, say the middle of 2005 (although probably people in high school would notice more minute things).

I think we're past the point where pop culture will noticeably change every year, except for technology. It seems like tech kinda has taken over for fashion and music in terms of dating quickly (like, people would probably laugh at you for having a 2003 cell phone). People don't seem to care much about everything else, and lots of younger people seem to be more proud of being retro now.

That said, I think the election (and for better or worse, McCain definitely looks poised to win. I think his approval rate went way up when Sarah Palin became his running mate) will start to really change things. There's a slight difference in feel now with the Bush era declining, but I don't think it'll become noticeable until 2009 and probably not totally until 2011/12ish. I do hope the Iraq war doesn't continue (and that McCain isn't Dubya part II), that's been one of the most tragic elements of the zeroes.

I was in high school up until 2007 and am in college now.  I can tell you that while many things are similar to 2005, there are a great deal of differences as far as pop culture goes.  It isn't some enormous difference, but there some key differences in pop culture.  I won't delve too much into that right now though.

I would agree that technology now dates faster than pop culture does.  2005, for example, is already quite dated technologically.  Video games were in the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation still (with Sony as the market leader and Nintendo suffering severe decline), ipods didn't display in color or play anything other than music, and youtube had just been invented and wouldn't get popular until 2006.  Technology dates extremely quickly and unlike pop culture, technology doesn't age well.  Even the PS2, which has been one of the top game systems for eight years of this decade, is nearing its end.  

As for the election, don't be so quick to say that McCain will win.  Right now, McCain is coming off of his post-convention bounce, which always provides a boost to the candidate who just had it.  Gallup had Obama at an 8 point lead shortly before the Republican National Convention.  The conventions always give a boost in poll numbers.  Whether it sticks or not is another matter entirely.  Also, while McCain is winning in the popular vote at the moment, Obama has a lead in the electoral college.  Oh, what irony it would be if the Bush era, which started with a man who won the electoral college and not the popular vote, was ended by a man who also won the electoral college and not the popular vote.

In any case, if McCain wins, we'll get a one-term Carter-esque president.  McCain has agreed with Bush on virtually all the key issues.  Also, another four years of Republican presidency could very well result in an extremely conservative pro-life Supreme Court.  Be prepared to turn back time by nearly 40 years and say goodbye to abortion rights, as overturning Roe v. Wade is a key point of Republican philosophy.

What amazes me is how stupid Americans are.  They've had eight years of Bush and vastly disapprove of him and the Repulican party, which is losing members as the Democrats gain members, yet many Americans are perfectly willing to vote Republican yet again.  As Bill Maher said, its like people being sick of the food they've eaten for the past eight years and then deciding to order four more years of it.  McCain has recently adopted Obama's platform of "change" despite the fact that his party is what made things so bad to begin with, although the ineffectiveness of the Democrats certainly didn't help.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/11/08 at 5:49 am

I was in high school up until 2007 and am in college now.  I can tell you that while many things are similar to 2005, there are a great deal of differences as far as pop culture goes.  It isn't some enormous difference, but there some key differences in pop culture.  I won't delve too much into that right now though.

I would agree that technology now dates faster than pop culture does.  2005, for example, is already quite dated technologically.  Video games were in the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation still (with Sony as the market leader and Nintendo suffering severe decline), ipods didn't display in color or play anything other than music, and youtube had just been invented and wouldn't get popular until 2006.  Technology dates extremely quickly and unlike pop culture, technology doesn't age well.  Even the PS2, which has been one of the top game systems for eight years of this decade, is nearing its end.  

As for the election, don't be so quick to say that McCain will win.  Right now, McCain is coming off of his post-convention bounce, which always provides a boost to the candidate who just had it.  Gallup had Obama at an 8 point lead shortly before the Republican National Convention.  The conventions always give a boost in poll numbers.  Whether it sticks or not is another matter entirely.  Also, while McCain is winning in the popular vote at the moment, Obama has a lead in the electoral college.  Oh, what irony it would be if the Bush era, which started with a man who won the electoral college and not the popular vote, was ended by a man who also won the electoral college and not the popular vote.

In any case, if McCain wins, we'll get a one-term Carter-esque president.  McCain has agreed with Bush on virtually all the key issues.  Also, another four years of Republican presidency could very well result in an extremely conservative pro-life Supreme Court.  Be prepared to turn back time by nearly 40 years and say goodbye to abortion rights, as overturning Roe v. Wade is a key point of Republican philosophy.

What amazes me is how stupid Americans are.  They've had eight years of Bush and vastly disapprove of him and the Repulican party, which is losing members as the Democrats gain members, yet many Americans are perfectly willing to vote Republican yet again.  As Bill Maher said, its like people being sick of the food they've eaten for the past eight years and then deciding to order four more years of it.  McCain has recently adopted Obama's platform of "change" despite the fact that his party is what made things so bad to begin with, although the ineffectiveness of the Democrats certainly didn't help.

Actually, 2005 is when the iPod Video first came out, and the iPod Photo was around since 2004. I also remember in 2005 when cell phones first started having video capability, like with Verizon's V-Cast (not quite the iPhone, but it was impressive at the time). Also 2005 is the year that the XBox 360 was released, first console of the current generation about one year before the PS3 and Wii. Pop-culture wise, 2005 changed the face of music for the mid-late 00's, especially with hip-hop/r&b hybrid and dance pop. Many artists who debuted in 2005 are still dominating the charts now, such as Chris Brown and Rihanna. But there's also alot of new sounds this year, such as Duffy and Katy Perry. I think alternative/indie rock is getting bigger now, and looks like West Coast rap is making a comeback (The Game, Ice Cube, Warren G, and Dr. Dre all have albums released in 2008). TV show wise, epic dramas are still popular such as LOST, Heroes, CSI, Prison Break, Gray's Anatomy, as well as comedies like The Office. Reality TV is still around, but not as big as it was in the early 00's.

As for the elections, I still have a feeling and hope that Obama will be able to win, but it's going to be really close, like 270-260 electoral votes Obama to McCain. Colorado's 9 electoral votes will make a big difference. Latest polls shows Obama up in CO by 1%. Virginia, Ohio, and Florida are other possibilities, but McCain's been leading in those states lately. With the bad economy and the war in Iraq, you would think that conditions would be more favorable for Democrats, just like for Bill Clinton when he defeated George Bush Sr. in 1992 by a wide margin.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/08 at 4:21 pm

Time to bump this thread up and check out the predictions you had for this year.

I usually start this thread but I am glad to see someone else did this year (and hopefully someone will remember to bump it up next Dec.)

As for my predictions:

As for being very predictable  ;) The Mets will FINALLY win the World Series (instead of complete blowing their lead in Sept. like they did in 2007  >:( >:( >:( )

More violence will increase in Pakistan and Afghanistan.  Pres. Pervez Musharraf will be assassinated as a retaliation for the assassination of Benazir Bhutto. The U.N. as well as many countries may send in troops to Pakistan to try to quell the violence. The Bush Administration won't want to be a part of the U.N. actions but will try to convince the American public that the real threat lies in Iran.

Many members of the U.S. Congress will lose in Nov.'s election. The winner of the Dem. nom will be either Barack Obama or John Edwards and which one wins the Primary, will win the general election in Nov.

More to come later.

Cat

Well, I got the election right.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Were your correct?

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/27/08 at 6:29 pm

I thought I posted my predictions at the beginning of the year, but I guess not. I did call Obama winning the elections and Dark Knight being the #1 movie before the year began. Musically it wasn't too much different from 2007, except better since '08 didn't have the cheesy ringtone rap hits like "Crank Dat (Soulja Boy)" and "This is Why I'm Hot".

Check for new replies or respond here...