inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teenagers and trends

Written By: blabla8 on 12/28/07 at 8:35 am

If it's true that music and other trends rely heavily on teenagers, than am I normal? I mean, I don't like the music of my peers - born circa 1988. I mean, the whole 2001-2008 period is when we are teens. I hate the music of my peers, it's crappy in my opinion, I like the music of the late 1990s. when we were still kids better. I also like gen X stars like Hanna Montana. Is it wrong for me to prefer older and newer acts than those of my generation?

Subject: Re: Teenagers and trends

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/28/07 at 9:24 am

If it's true that music and other trends rely heavily on teenagers, than am I normal? I mean, I don't like the music of my peers - born circa 1988. I mean, the whole 2001-2008 period is when we are teens. I hate the music of my peers, it's crappy in my opinion, I like the music of the late 1990s. when we were still kids better. I also like gen X stars like Hanna Montana. Is it wrong for me to prefer older and newer acts than those of my generation?

There's nothing odd about it. I say, to each his own. I mean...I was born in 1977...but the majority of the music (heck...anything really) that I like...is from WAY before I was even born.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/28/07 at 11:16 am

My favorite stuff is also more from my childhood and very early adolescence. I'm a 1981er and I think the best music came out from about 1982 to 1994, along with some selected things from earlier. Same with television and movies, although I tend to like that a bit later. By the time I started high school, I already really missed my literal childhood, especially when it came to associating personal memories with songs.

I think the old stereotype that people center in on what's popular in their high school/college years is kinda fading. Especially since there's so much to choose from today. Both the selection of pop culture itself, as well as more ways to get acquainted with it (i.e. YouTube, the internet). This didn't exist to previous generations as much, which is I think why teens in the 1950s through the early '90s tended to be trendier. Does anyone agree?

Written By: tv on 12/28/07 at 4:40 pm

Hanna Montana is not a Generation X star. She's a Gen Z/real late Gen Y star in terms target audience and she was born in 1992 maybe she's 15 years old so she's a late generation Yer in my opinion.

Frankly music was still tolerable in early to mid 2005 but its just gotten worse since than and I was born in 1979. I think the the 90's(1992-1998) was better musically than any of the 00's music is.

I was just reading through "Ouirk's" response in this thread and I do like 80's music too(1983-1988) even though I still was pretty young when 80's popular music was current.

I like both 80's and 90's TV shows too.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/28/07 at 4:43 pm

What happens when Hannah Montana has a kid?  Would they be Generation On-Beyond-Zebra?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/d7/180px-On_Beyond_Zebra.jpg

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/28/07 at 6:43 pm

This is not weird at all.  Don't be surprised however, to find yourself nostalgic about this stuff when you're older.  I know there were plenty of things I couldn't tolerate when I "should have" but have a different appreciation for them at this stage of my life.

Written By: saver on 12/28/07 at 9:23 pm

I've noticed anymore, since the 80's and the teen tv idol days how the 'old' teen magazines either stopped or now show/exploit possible teen idols who are mostly singers.

No more Scott Baio or Kirk Cameron, it's Zac Efron and Jesse McCartney/Aaron Carter(until we see them on TMZ sneaking smokes)...

maybe people are catching on, thier aren't cute actors anymore..it's all bu$ine$$...

Written By: sonikuu on 12/28/07 at 11:46 pm

Its not out of the ordinary for a teenager to dislike the music of their peers.  A poll in 2005 found that 7-8% (forgot the exact number) of teens listen to Classic Rock.  That is actually the highest percentage of teens listening to Classic Rock in years.  Moreover, similar polls (this time including adults as well) have found that underground  music, indie rock, and even world music have all seen bursts in popularity due to the internet.  Their followings are still small, but they're still bigger than they were in the past.

With these stats in mind, it really isn't out of the ordinary for a teen to like music that is either older or isn't mainstream.  The amount of teens who prefer this type of music may still be a small minority, but more teens prefer these types of music now than at any other time in recent history.

Written By: Blackjack on 12/29/07 at 9:09 am

Excuse me, is Hannah Montana more or less of a Gen Y... she is 15 years old right now and she is in the 9th grade.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/29/07 at 8:53 pm

I'm guessing the original poster meant to say Gen Z. I would probably say she's late Gen Y (which spans people born around 1979-'82 to 1995ish), but I won't get into that debate again lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...