inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weather Predictions for 2008 - Northern Midwest

Written By: Blackjack on 12/31/07 at 9:41 am

This is something a little bit different... let us all predict the weather for the year 2008.  Feel free to post your own Farmer's Almanac forecasts.

January 2008 - Pretty cold and sunny... not as much snow as December

February 2008 - cold for the first part and sunny, warm and more dreary the second part after Valentines day.  Lots more snow.

March 2008 - March 1 snowstorm, then melts pretty fast.  Generally warm and dry most of March... really gets warm around Easter.

April 2008 - Dry and sunny... spring drought.

May 2008 - record warmth the first part, then cooling off and becoming cold a muggy second part.  Rainy spell end of May... very dreary.

June 2008 - Average... lots of rainy.  May be dreary for most of the month, especially early June.

July 2008 - probably cut loose and get hot.  No record warmth... like it always does.  Generally dry.

August 2008 - Muggy and starting to cool off... might have a huge cold  front by the middle of August.... might have lots of rain.

September 2008 - Warm and lots of rain.

October 2008 - Dry and warm... one of warmest Octobers on record.  Halloween will be very warm.

November 2008 - Warm for first part... then turning cold.

December 2008 - Very cold!!!  Record cold for December and not as much snow  as December 2007.

Subject: Re: Weather Predictions for 2008 - Northern Midwest

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/11/08 at 1:59 pm

It's really hard to predict the weather a year from now, unless I'm a meteorologist. We can all expect the usual storms, cold days, hot days. I guess what would be harder to pinpoint are particuliar areas with unusual heat/cold or rain/snow conditions.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/11/08 at 3:56 pm

It's really hard to predict the weather a year from now, unless I'm a meteorologist. We can all expect the usual storms, cold days, hot days. I guess what would be harder to pinpoint are particuliar areas with unusual heat/cold or rain/snow conditions.

Read the farmers almanac... check out the weather predictions in your area, mines in Minneapolis, MN.  I think you're right... you might have to be an metereologist or climotologist to check the weather, unless I'm psychic.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/11/08 at 6:00 pm

It's not overly hard. I've seen weather predictions from so called experts who predict the weather over a year in advance and get, maybe, 20-30% accuracy.

I did something similar this year for my city. Very brief, but you can't be too precise:
Jan Warmer, drier & sunnier than normal
Feb Above average. Still dry & sunny. Cooler than January
Mar Early start to autumn. Just below average temps. Still dry. More cloudy days
Apr Cool temps, about average sun & rain figures
May Cool temps, about average sun & rain figures
Jun Cold, dry & settled
Jul Cold, dry & settled
Aug Cool, wettest month of 2008, below average sunshine
Sep Cool start to Spring. Wetter & cloudier than average
Oct Average. Early drought
Nov Average. Dry & sunny
Dec Above average. Dry & sunny

I'll return to this thread in a year from now and see...  :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/11/08 at 6:16 pm

Read the farmers almanac... check out the weather predictions in your area, mines in Minneapolis, MN.  I think you're right... you might have to be an metereologist or climotologist to check the weather, unless I'm psychic.

Let me think, for the Bay Area, California:

January 2008 - El Nino like rains continue, with it lighting up towards the end of the month.

February - Unusual cold front hits, causing first Bay Area snowfall in 16 years.

March - Cold front continues, but lightens up by the end of the month.

April - normal fair weather with some showers

May - More showers than usual in May.

June - Warm, but not hot.

July - Hot, but not like it was in 2006 with record breaking heat.

August - This month gets the heat that July didn't get.

September - Early fall colors show, not significant weather changes.

October - Some rain, but mostly mild weather.

November - More rains, more than usual for Nov.

December - Back to cold fronts, more cold than usual. 

Check for new replies or respond here...