inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best year of music in the 2000s

Written By: Blackjack on 12/31/07 at 10:16 am

I'll probably 2004... and maybe 2008 I hope.  2007 did have some good music too along with 2000 and 2002.

Subject: Re: Best year of music in the 2000s

Written By: tnf on 12/31/07 at 4:18 pm

2001. Followed by 2000 and 2005.

I like the kind of dance music which was popular in 2000 / 2001.

Written By: Blackjack on 12/31/07 at 4:22 pm

2001. Followed by 2000 and 2005.

I like the kind of dance music which was popular in 2000 / 2001.

I heard this dance music is coming back in 2008 and more likely 2009.  If you listen artists such as Timbaland, Cascada, DHT, September, etc... you'll get the point.

Written By: tnf on 12/31/07 at 4:41 pm

No, I mean the quite soft / warm type of dance music of that era. St. Germain, Royksopp, Air, Daft Punk with their 'Discovery' cd, and others.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/31/07 at 6:28 pm

2004... VAST released "Turquoise & Crimson," Unkle released "Never, Never Land", Fatboy Slim released "Palookaville", and I believe Tiesto and Paul Oakenfold released albums that year.  It was a great year overall, except for the elections....

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/31/07 at 6:45 pm

For me personally, not based on charts or anything. Only based on music I like:

2005, followed by 2007, followed by 2006, followed by 2004. Then it goes: 2003, 2001, 2002 & 2000.

Written By: whistledog on 12/31/07 at 8:55 pm

I heard this dance music is coming back in 2008 and more likely 2009.  If you listen artists such as Timbaland, Cascada, DHT, September, etc... you'll get the point.

Timbaland isn't Dance music

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 12/31/07 at 9:08 pm

None of them.  New music sucks period.  Classic rock all the way!  Bring back the old style of music, and then we can talk  ;D :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/31/07 at 9:30 pm

None of them.  New music sucks period.  Classic rock all the way!  Bring back the old style of music, and then we can talk  ;D :D
Now that's a stupid thing to say. There is just as much crap out there now as there was 30-40 years ago. Only now you hear more of the crap as its current, where-as the crap from years ago has all been forgotten.

There is a lot of good stuff being released now, just open your ears, throw out that radio and get looking.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 12/31/07 at 9:40 pm

Now that's a stupid thing to say. There is just as much crap out there now as there was 30-40 years ago. Only now you hear more of the crap as its current, where-as the crap from years ago has all been forgotten.

There is a lot of good stuff being released now, just open your ears, throw out that radio and get looking.

Point is, stupid crap wasn't as main stream as it is now.  Face it, new music is crap.  Bands tend to follow the latest trends, and for some reason the latest trend is emo.  Even the bands that aren't that popular still suck and are emo.  Honestly, I cant point out 5 songs from this decade that don't suck.  The new style of music just isn't good.  I mean sure, there was still some pretty awful music in the 80's, but it wasn't THAT main steam.  I mean, when you think of the 80's the first thing I think of is Slayer, Judas Priest, and all the GOOD popular metal bands, not crap like U2.  I don't want to have to search for good music, because that would be wasting time.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/01/08 at 8:26 am

Point is, stupid crap wasn't as main stream as it is now.  Face it, new music is crap.  Bands tend to follow the latest trends, and for some reason the latest trend is emo.  Even the bands that aren't that popular still suck and are emo.  Honestly, I cant point out 5 songs from this decade that don't suck.  The new style of music just isn't good.  I mean sure, there was still some pretty awful music in the 80's, but it wasn't THAT main steam.  I mean, when you think of the 80's the first thing I think of is Slayer, Judas Priest, and all the GOOD popular metal bands, not crap like U2.  I don't want to have to search for good music, because that would be wasting time.

I think it's basically what Luke said.  Radio music was definitely better back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  The thing is...  most of the best music that comes out now isn't even played on the radio, except in larger cities.  Rock was biggest and best in the 70s, Pop was biggest and best in the 80s, and Grunge and Rap were best in the 90s.  Each of those genres produced some great music and some crap as well.  The problem with today's music is that record companies have transformed the music business into such a soulless process that the only bands that tend to get airplay are crap like Nickelback.  Whereas much better bands like VAST remain very obscure.

So again, good new music is out there, but you rarely find it on the radio.  You're more likely to find it on the internet or at a club.  Electronic music is the genre of this decade.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/01/08 at 9:26 am

Timbaland isn't Dance music

It has dance influenced music... more or less electrohop.... listen to the way I Are and that's definetly dance.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/01/08 at 9:28 am

I don't think the latest trend right now is emo... we don't see emo in the rock scene anymore except for the die-hard people on MySpace and Purevolume and such... there is a lot of dance-electro influenced rock such as Mute Math and somewhat Good Charlotte, not to mention the Killers.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/01/08 at 9:29 am

I think it's basically what Luke said.  Radio music was definitely better back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  The thing is...  most of the best music that comes out now isn't even played on the radio, except in larger cities.  Rock was biggest and best in the 70s, Pop was biggest and best in the 80s, and Grunge and Rap were best in the 90s.  Each of those genres produced some great music and some crap as well.  The problem with today's music is that record companies have transformed the music business into such a soulless process that the only bands that tend to get airplay are crap like Nickelback.  Whereas much better bands like VAST remain very obscure.

So again, good new music is out there, but you rarely find it on the radio.  You're more likely to find it on the internet or at a club.  Electronic music is the genre of this decade.

I noticed that retro style music is huge this decade too.

Written By: tv on 01/02/08 at 8:36 am

I don't think the latest trend right now is emo... we don't see emo in the rock scene anymore except for the die-hard people on MySpace and Purevolume and such... there is a lot of dance-electro influenced rock such as Mute Math and somewhat Good Charlotte, not to mention the Killers.
Yeah I have to agree EMO is not the latest hot trend I mean maybe 2005-2006  but not in 2007+.

Written By: tv on 01/02/08 at 8:39 am

VAST is still around? I remember that song "Now I'm Free" in 2000 by Vast. They sounded like the synth-pop band "The Cure" a little bit. I liked that song by Vast but of course radio will not play a band like VAST.

Written By: tv on 01/02/08 at 8:42 am

I think 2004, 2001, 2002, and early to mid 2005 were the best 00's music music.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/02/08 at 5:19 pm

VAST is still around? I remember that song "Now I'm Free" in 2000 by Vast. They sounded like the synth-pop band "The Cure" a little bit. I liked that song by Vast but of course radio will not play a band like VAST.

Yeah, VAST has released 3 albums since then.  Turquoise & Crimson is a double set that's really good, Nude is a single disc album that is like a radio edit of that set, and the most recent album is April.  The reason VAST isn't on the radio is because they got dropped by their major label, so Jon Crosby started his own small label called 2Blossoms.

"Free" is one of their better known but weaker songs, actually.  If you can find it, Turquoise & Crimson is, by far, their best album.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/08 at 5:38 pm

2002, 2004, 2005 were probably the strongest years.

Written By: chatterbox on 01/03/08 at 2:55 am

2002, 2003, 2004, 2005. I voted for 2005.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/04/08 at 5:37 pm

I think 2004, 2001, 2002, and early to mid 2005 were the best 00's music music.

Agreed.

Check for new replies or respond here...