inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Documentaries (Any Format)...

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 3:27 pm

Does anyone like documentaries?  I own many which I recorded (on VHS) off of A&E and The History Channel in the 90s.  I'm trying to replace with DVD copies as I'd like to get rid of all my VHS tapes...

Here's what I have in my library, so far...

Night and Fog, Alain Resnais, Criterion, 1956 (Abondoned Nazi concentration camps)
  Hearts & Minds, Peter Davis, Criterion, 1974 (Vietnam War, Interviews, War Footage)
  The True Story of Hannibal, A&E, 2002 (Second Punic War, 218 - 203 B.C.)
  66 A.D. The Last Revolt, A&E, 1999, (First Jewish revolt against Rome, 66-74 A.D.)
  Hail Caesar, A&E, 1997, (The lives of Julius Caesar, Augustus, Nero, Hadrian, Constantine and Justinian)
  Masada, A&E, 2002, (The Roman siege of fort Masada in 74 A.D.)
  The Plague, A&E, 2005, (The Black Plague outbreak in Europe, 1347-1351 A.D.)
  The Black Death, A&E, 1997, (Another doc about the 1347-1351 European plague)
  Pompeii: Buried Alive, A&E, 1995, (The destruction of Roman Pompeii and Herculaneum by Vesuvius eruption, 79 A.D.)
  Battle of the Alamo, Discovery, 1996, (Seige and fall of the Alamo in 1836 by Santa Anna)
  Where the River Matanuska Flows, Juster Hill, 2005, (The U.S. sponsored mass settlement of Alaska in 1935)
  Cleopatra: Destiny's Queen, A&E, 1994, (The life of Cleopatra VII of Egypt)
  Mysteries of the Bible, A&E, 2007, (A set of 20+ docs about various people and events described in the Bible, archaeology and interviews)
  Julius Caesar: The Battle of Alesia, 1993, Ambrose, (Details of the the Roman investment of Alesia in Gaul, 52 B.C.)
  Afghan!, Indie Underground, 1989 (The Soviet invasion and occupation of Afghanistan, 1979-1989)
  Hadrian's Wall, A&E, 1996, (Roman curtain wall in northern England from inception to abandonment, construction starting around 122 A.D.)

I have one documentary on my hard disc:

Deadline Iraq: Uncensored Stories of the War, CBC, 2003 (War correspondents and embedded journalists in Iraq during the 2003 invasion)

Subject: Re: Documentaries (Any Format)...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/07 at 3:36 pm

Love documentaries-both historic & political. The problem with many political ones-they can get a bit dated. Oh well. We rent a bunch from Netflix-not to mention watching them on either the History Channel or CNN.

Cat

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 3:54 pm

Love documentaries-both historic & political. The problem with many political ones-they can get a bit dated. Oh well. We rent a bunch from Netflix-not to mention watching them on either the History Channel or CNN.

Cat

Yeah, they can get dated and, like most things, are biased.  I just wish I could find more about the Soviet/Afghan war.  With footage.  There is suprisingly little out there...

I'd say most, if not all, the docs I own are closer to coffee table books than serious scholarly material.  A&E went reality a few years back, so it's rubbish now.  The History Channel is heading that way...

I know a few years ago this channel called Discovery-Times had some excellent docs on Iraq and Afghanistan and war correspondents and stuff.  I have only basic cable now so I can't get it... :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/07 at 5:08 pm

Yeah, they can get dated and, like most things, are biased.  I just wish I could find more about the Soviet/Afghan war.  With footage.  There is suprisingly little out there...

I'd say most, if not all, the docs I own are closer to coffee table books than serious scholarly material.  A&E went reality a few years back, so it's rubbish now.  The History Channel is heading that way...

I know a few years ago this channel called Discovery-Times had some excellent docs on Iraq and Afghanistan and war correspondents and stuff.  I have only basic cable now so I can't get it... :-[

I know what you mean about A&E. Biography used to show historical figures, now it is all celebs.  ::)  The History Channel is also getting a bit much. I used to belong to the History Channel club and they asked what aspect of history that interested me and they were very limited in answers: Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWII (you see the theme there  ::) ). I canceled, mainly because they kept asking me over and over again to "join for life"-even before I had a chance to check it out. I can't tell you how many phone calls, solicitations in the mail, etc. etc. Sorry, didn't mean to go off.

I believe Dish Network has a documentary channel but we haven't really checked it out. One thing we just discovered (about 2 days ago or so) is the Free Speech Channel.

http://www.freespeech.org/fscm2/genx.php?name=home

Cat 

Written By: whistledog on 12/31/07 at 5:10 pm

The first (and I believe only) motion picture documentary I ever saw was Michael Moore's 'Roger and Me'.  Very good film!

I know I've seen many made for TV documentaries, but at the moment, no titles spring to mind

Written By: Dagwood on 12/31/07 at 7:16 pm

I love documentaries.  I watch Biography, History  and History International a lot.  I really like the paranormal shows.  I can sit and watch Haunted whatever all day.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 1:24 am

I don't watch em that often but I must say I thought Born into Brothels was really good.  and I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Jesus Camp... kinda disappointed I didn't get it for christmas since I talked about it so much... 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/01/08 at 1:34 am

My favorite documentaries are created by a man named, Rick Sebak. He is from the Pittsburgh, Pa. area...and his documentaries are about retro/feel good kind of stuff. Check it out...

http://www.wqed.org/tv/pghist/sebakbiog.shtml

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 5:33 am

Eyes on The Prize, about the civil rights struggles in the 50s/60s is good one to have. 

Fog of War, wouldn't go amiss next to Hearts and Minds.

Written By: Davester on 01/01/08 at 8:45 am

Eyes on The Prize, about the civil rights struggles in the 50s/60s is good one to have.

I remember looking for Eyes on the Prize after reading the thread about it.  It's a tough one to find...

I'ma check out Fog of War...

Oh, and I forgot my biggest, baddest documentary - The World at War, A&E, 1974, (Comprehensive history of WWII, all theatres).  Takes a week to watch it all.  I'd like to find a similar one about the Korean War...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/08 at 11:53 am

I love documentaries.  I watch Biography, History  and History International a lot.  I really like the paranormal shows.  I can sit and watch Haunted whatever all day.

I can't really call it a documentary, but if you like paranormal shows, might I suggest Ghost Hunters on Sci-Fi. Don't know if you have seen the show or not, but it is WAY cool.

http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/
http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com/http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 12:09 pm

Oh Yeah Eyes on the prize...how could I forget that one???

also there was another documentary series down about the fifties.... I don't recall exactly what it was called but it had the fifties in the title... anyway, they did a really good segment one night on Emmett Till and followed it up with a segment on Civil Rights. I have it on Tape somewhere with my other Emmett Till stuff.... there have been good docs done on him. 

I like the Up America Series but apparently I am the only one since NO ONE seems to remember this...

I remember Bowling for Columbine and Roger & Me. I like Michael Moore but I don't go out of my way to watch these.

The Celluloid Closet was entertaining too.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/01/08 at 4:03 pm

I can't really call it a documentary, but if you like paranormal shows, might I suggest Ghost Hunters on Sci-Fi. Don't know if you have seen the show or not, but it is WAY cool.

http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/
http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com/http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/

Cat

I have seen it and love it.  I love their "this is how it is" attitude towards their hunting.  Another one I like is Haunted on Discovery.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 5:06 pm

Titicut Follies by Frederick Wiseman was a groundbreaker.  It is still not shown in Massachusetts, where it was filmed.

"The only American film banned from release for reasons other than obscenity or national security, Titicut Follies was filmed inside the Massachusetts Correctional Institution at Bridgewater, a prison hospital for the criminally insane."

www.imdb.com/title/tt0062374/

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 5:53 pm

Titicut Follies by Frederick Wiseman was a groundbreaker.  It is still not shown in Massachusetts, where it was filmed.

"The only American film banned from release for reasons other than obscenity or national security, Titicut Follies was filmed inside the Massachusetts Correctional Institution at Bridgewater, a prison hospital for the criminally insane."

I've never heard of it... it doesn't seem to be avail on DVD or VHS do you have a copy?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/01/08 at 10:44 pm

we watched that in one of my psych classes...it was interesting.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/02/08 at 12:11 am

Connections, James Burke.  Everything nobody knew about the history of science and technology because nobody thought to ask.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/02/08 at 7:30 am

I've never heard of it... it doesn't seem to be avail on DVD or VHS do you have a copy?

I don'thave a copy, it may be difficult to get one, but for someone into documentaries I would think it a must have.  It was banned for viewing outside of educational institutions until 1992.  I googled, it says you can get Titicut, and more of Wiseman here

www.zipporah.com/

Written By: Blackjack on 01/03/08 at 9:51 pm

BORING!!!  That's all is on TV, along with movies  that we seen 50 million times.. some of these astronomical, meterological, and religious documentaries are pretty good... and nature ones are not bad, but the rest are damn boring!!

Written By: Blackjack on 01/03/08 at 9:53 pm

I know what you mean about A&E. Biography used to show historical figures, now it is all celebs.  ::)  The History Channel is also getting a bit much. I used to belong to the History Channel club and they asked what aspect of history that interested me and they were very limited in answers: Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWII (you see the theme there  ::) ). I canceled, mainly because they kept asking me over and over again to "join for life"-even before I had a chance to check it out. I can't tell you how many phone calls, solicitations in the mail, etc. etc. Sorry, didn't mean to go off.

I believe Dish Network has a documentary channel but we haven't really checked it out. One thing we just discovered (about 2 days ago or so) is the Free Speech Channel.

http://www.freespeech.org/fscm2/genx.php?name=home

Cat   

Emphasize on WWII. That was pretty much it in 2004-2005.  Now it's basically these Discovery Channel stuff and the Universe that is not even close to History, but about some historical discovery.

Written By: Davester on 01/04/08 at 12:00 am

BORING!!!  That's all is on TV, along with movies  that we seen 50 million times.. some of these astronomical, meterological, and religious documentaries are pretty good... and nature ones are not bad, but the rest are damn boring!!

Darko...

Written By: ralfy on 06/03/16 at 5:37 pm

From last March:

"Alain Resnais obituary"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/02/alain-resnais

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/16 at 5:58 pm

We have been watching Ken Burns' The Roosevelts. Very good-of course most of Ken Burns are very good.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...