inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'TAT' wearers/haters...that day may be here!!!!!!

Written By: saver on 01/03/08 at 12:31 am

From YAHOO NEWS:

NOT WORTH THE INK IT'S WRITTEN WITH
Tattooing hurts; removing it is worse
By Wendy Ruderman
Philadelphia Daily News

rudermw@phillynews.com 215-854-2860

GOODBYE, 2007. Hello, 2008.
Now is the time to wipe the slate clean and start anew.

But what if that slate is your skin and the thing you want wiped clean is injected into your flesh with indelible ink?

The tattoo boom of the early 1990s has given rise to tattoo regret, and an increasing number of hipsters want to get rid of ink that was soooooo last year, studies show.

"It's all about growing up and time passing and your life changing," said Dr. Andrew Pollack, director of the Philadelphia Institute of Dermatology.

"Who hasn't opened their mouth and then said, 'Oh, man, I wish I could take it back.' I'm the guy who helps people take it back," said Eric Bernstein, a Bryn Mawr dermatologist who specializes in tattoo removal.

Pollack and Bernstein are in the burgeoning business of using lasers to erase people's colorful pasts. Among their patients:

_ The once rebellious teen who got a butterfly tattooed on her shoulder is now a 20-something woman who wants to wear a strapless dress at her country-club wedding.

_ The former frat boy who got Greek letters inked on his leg and is now a young lawyer who's embarrassed to wear shorts at the annual company picnic.

_ The ex-con who wants to shed the gang emblem and go straight.

_ And the reformed neo-Nazi with the swastika tattoo who just met a nice Jewish girl and is joining her folks for Passover dinner.

OK, that last example was a bit of a stretch. Actually, the guy who had a swastika tattooed on his forehead never said why he wanted it removed.

"I think the decision spoke for itself," said Pollack, who has also removed numbers from Holocaust survivors.

Bernstein said he recently removed the word "bitch," etched in black ink, from a woman's lower lip.

"She told me she thought they were writing something else on there," Bernstein said.

Like what?

"I don't know," Bernstein said. " 'I love my dentist?' I couldn't tell ya."

A 2006 study by the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology found that 24 percent of Americans ages 18 to 50 are tattooed. Of those, 17 percent had considered removal.

The top reason for tattoo regret is a faded romance, according to dermatologists.

Donna Maleczkowicz's boyfriend convinced her to get his initials - "CS" - inked on her bikini line during a drunken escapade. At the time, she had been dating him for just a month. They met at Delilah's, the Center City gentlemen's club, where she still works as a hostess.

"I really, really thought that he was the one," she said last week.

They were talking marriage when he broke it off after more than three years of dating.

"I actually went to see Dr. Bernstein and I said, 'Listen, I want you to get this thing off right now. I don't care if you have to burn it off,' " said Maleczkowicz, 27, of Holland, Bucks County.

By the end of 2008, CS presumably will be history and so will another unwanted tattoo she got on a whim: A pair of flowers with vines that wrap around her navel. She's worried that if she decides to have a baby someday, the tattoo will stretch across her bulging, third-trimester stomach like a scraggly weed.

Tattoo removal is not quick, cheap, or painless.
:) :) :) :) :)
"

Personally, I think since record stores are going out of business,there is nowhere else for the 'marked' to work...join the herd folks..... :P

Subject: Re: 'TAT' wearers/haters...that day may be here!!!!!!

Written By: Davester on 01/03/08 at 1:08 am

I am thinking of having the verse that Oppenheimer quoted from the Bhagavad Vita tatooed on my forearm.  I think its one of the most beautiful things I have ever read...

Think that would be too pretentious..?

Written By: saver on 01/03/08 at 2:49 am

I am thinking of having the verse that Oppenheimer quoted from the Bhagavad Vita tatooed on my forearm.  I think its one of the most beautiful things I have ever read...

Think that would be too pretentious..?

I'm channelling Archie Bunker who had a thing or two right on between all his bigotry...tattoos are for pirates and earrings are fine if you're trying to be Marlena Deitrich

Written By: KKay on 01/03/08 at 7:36 am

..tattoos are for pirates and earrings are fine if you're trying to be Marlena Deitrich

that would be a good tattoo ;D

Written By: Jessica on 01/03/08 at 9:13 am

I'm channelling Archie Bunker who had a thing or two right on between all his bigotry...tattoos are for pirates and earrings are fine if you're trying to be Marlena Deitrich

MARLENE Dietrich. Thank you.

The story doesn't change the fact that I'm still getting a tattoo as soon as I lose more weight. If that changes people's opinion about me, that's their effin' problem.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 12:49 am

MARLENE Dietrich. Thank you.

The story doesn't change the fact that I'm still getting a tattoo as soon as I lose more weight. If that changes people's opinion about me, that's their effin' problem.

tattoos are the hotness....definitely get one! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 3:16 am

cool aren't they?? And maybe one day you'll be President of the US, er...owner of a rich conglomerate,..um...Professor of 

HUH? ???

Written By: Jessica on 01/04/08 at 9:28 am

cool aren't they?? And maybe one day you'll be President of the US, er...owner of a rich conglomerate,..um...Dean of a major University,..uh....making my sandwiches at Subway,Doorperson at the 'Crazy Legs' strip club,head shop salesperson,game coin slot fixer at the Chucky Cheeses....yeah, that's it...street vendor at a concert somewhere!
Ferris wheel operator at a touring carnival...such aspirations as those doors fly open for tat wearers...

You're a rude son of a bitch, aren't you? :)

Written By: Tia on 01/04/08 at 9:44 am

cool aren't they?? And maybe one day you'll be President of the US, er...owner of a rich conglomerate,..um...Dean of a major University,..uh....making my sandwiches at Subway,Doorperson at the 'Crazy Legs' strip club,head shop salesperson,game coin slot fixer at the Chucky Cheeses....yeah, that's it...street vendor at a concert somewhere!
Ferris wheel operator at a touring carnival...such aspirations as those doors fly open for tat wearers...
i find that basic skills with the written word are what open doors to professional opportunity, and that the converse -- ineptitude with the written word and inability to articulate one's thoughts and opinions -- tends to result in doors being shut. i'm not relating that to any aspect of this current discussion, though. not at all. that's just a random observation from left field on my part. ;)

on the other hand, if potential employers are judging applicants based on tattoos, piercings, hair length, political affiliation, or other things that have little to do with professional abilities, they're liable to end up with snappy-looking employees who don't know how to do their jobs. companies like that aren't much fun to work for, i can tell you that.

Written By: Jessica on 01/04/08 at 9:46 am

i find that basic skills with the written word are what open doors to professional opportunity, and that the converse -- ineptitude with the written word and inability to articulate one's thoughts and opinions -- tends to result in doors being shut. i'm not relating that to any aspect of this current discussion, though. not at all. that's just a random observation from left field on my part. ;)

on the other hand, if potential employers are judging applicants based on tattoos, piercings, hair length, political affiliation, or other things that have little to do with professional abilities, they're liable to end up with snappy-looking employees who don't know how to do their jobs. companies like that aren't much fun to work for, i can tell you that.

So my observation that saver is a rude son of a bitch probably wouldn't fly with the corporate world.

Oh well. :D

Written By: Tia on 01/04/08 at 9:48 am

So my observation that saver is a rude son of a bitch probably wouldn't fly with the corporate world.

Oh well. :D
on the contrary, i thought that was just the sort of succinct and clear communication that's appreciated in the boardroom.

Written By: La Roche on 01/04/08 at 9:51 am

companies like that aren't much fun to work for, i can tell you that.

How would you know, they'd never employ you.

Zing!

;D

I kid, you're a very snappy dresser and set the trends when it comes to hairstyles and such like.

Ok, here's the thing.

If I'm an employer, I'm not even going to notice if John Brown has a huge swastika on his back, thus, it's not going to play in to my decision.
If he has a spider web on his neck, I may think twice about him because he's chosen to do something to himself that would indeed change peope's opinions about him.. and thus I wonder about his ability to apply logic to situations.

I know in 30 years I'm going to have a big bizare looking smudge on my back, something that looks like I shoved an ink cartridge up my nose and sneezed, but here's the thing, in 30 years I'm probably not going to walk around shirtless and if I do.. I'm really not going to care that people think I have a nasal ink fetish.

Written By: Jessica on 01/04/08 at 9:52 am

on the contrary, i thought that was just the sort of succinct and clear communication that's appreciated in the boardroom.

I thank you. :D

How would you know, they'd never employ you.

Zing!

;D

I kid, you're a very snappy dresser and set the trends when it comes to hairstyles and such like.

Ok, here's the thing.

If I'm an employer, I'm not even going to notice if John Brown has a huge swastika on his back, thus, it's not going to play in to my decision.
If he has a spider web on his neck, I may think twice about him because he's chosen to do something to himself that would indeed change peope's opinions about him.. and thus I wonder about his ability to apply logic to situations.

I know in 30 years I'm going to have a big bizare looking smudge on my back, something that looks like I shoved an ink cartridge up my nose and sneezed, but here's the thing, in 30 years I'm probably not going to walk around shirtless and if I do.. I'm really not going to care that people think I have a nasal ink fetish.

*applause*

Written By: KKay on 01/04/08 at 10:01 am

karma to everyone in this thread so far for hours (minutes) of enjoyable reading.

if you want it, get it.
if you are going to be miss america, maybe not.
otherwise, have fun.

Written By: gemini on 01/04/08 at 10:10 am

Damn, I guess my daughter will have to quit college and not go for that Psychology degree. Damn those cute little birds.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 11:41 am

cool aren't they?? And maybe one day you'll be President of the US, er...owner of a rich conglomerate,..um...Dean of a major University,..uh....making my sandwiches at Subway,Doorperson at the 'Crazy Legs' strip club,head shop salesperson,game coin slot fixer at the Chucky Cheeses....yeah, that's it...street vendor at a concert somewhere!

F**K that noise. >:(

Written By: saver on 01/04/08 at 1:48 pm

Damn, I guess my daughter will have to quit college and not go for that Psychology degree. Damn those cute little birds.

I wondered what a person in the hiring position would think and one of those 'advice' columns stated the cases some mention here...that is...look beyond the tattoos and hire based on performance....then the 'boardroom' people may feel the only performing they will give is in their own little 'I'm cool' world....

If you're going to open your own profession(psychologist,pet shop owner,...)you can dress yourself up any way you'd like..maybe I won't have need for those services and will move on to wherever I do business ...would I feel comfortable getting personal service from a person with one?...It depends, if they are touigh looking and delivering my furniture, I may think-what are you sending an ex-con to my home, if they are a doctor that made it through the system, I may say, 'it's been fun reading your arm-like a comic book' ....

We all may say go ahead,do what you want, but I still think we are not all liberal to oversee it and it dictates how we live...if not there probably would be lots more getting them...what would life be like if we couldn't express ourselves..I just prefer NOT to permanently mar my body as it is, beautiful or not, If I want to keep a copy of something that makes me feel good when I look at it, I will get a container of 'Silly Putty'.       

Written By: Gis on 01/04/08 at 4:54 pm

I wondered what a person in the hiring position would think and one of those 'advice' columns stated the cases some mention here...that is...look beyond the tattoos and hire based on performance....then the 'boardroom' people may feel the only performing they will give is in their own little 'I'm cool' world....

If you're going to open your own profession(psychologist,pet shop owner,...)you can dress yourself up any way you'd like..maybe I won't have need for those services and will move on to wherever I do business ...would I feel comfortable getting personal service from a person with one?...It depends, if they are touigh looking and delivering my furniture, I may think-what are you sending an ex-con to my home, if they are a doctor that made it through the system, I may say, 'it's been fun reading your arm-like a comic book' ....

We all may say go ahead,do what you want, but I still think we are not all liberal to oversee it and it dictates how we live...if not there probably would be lots more getting them...what would life be like if we couldn't express ourselves..I just prefer NOT to permanently mar my body as it is, beautiful or not, If I want to keep a copy of something that makes me feel good when I look at it, I will get a container of 'Silly Putty'.       
You make me want to get a tattoo right now so you will never come near me because of it.

Written By: La Roche on 01/04/08 at 5:48 pm

You make me want to get a tattoo right now so you will never come near me because of it.

Love.. emenating from Davey..

Written By: saver on 01/04/08 at 8:45 pm

Actually they attract me..especially the ones the girls have growing out of their behinds into a flowery design...I kind of wonder how far down it goes below the waste/belt line,and if there may be a surprise waiting at the other end of it...

I think about tattoos but always stuck to the teachigs/belief, the body is already a beautiful temple and does NOT need any graffiti placed on it to enhance it...that is really where my views lie... (romantic or philosopher, I find zen in its rare form)...I retire from this topic....

enjoy whatever tattoos you want to get...

Written By: Jessica on 01/04/08 at 9:20 pm

Actually they attract me..especially the ones the girls have growing out of their behinds into a flowery design...I kind of wonder how far down it goes below the waste/belt line,and if there may be a surprise waiting at the other end of it...

I think about tattoos but always stuck to the teachigs/belief, the body is already a beautiful temple and does NOT need any graffiti placed on it to enhance it...that is really where my views lie... (romantic or philosopher, I find zen in its rare form)...I retire from this topic....

enjoy whatever tattoos you want to get...

What the f*ck? So you don't mind chicks having them so you can fantasize about ass crack, but you still dislike people for getting them and associate them with what you consider losers or deadbeats?

You disgust me.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 9:24 pm

My cousin is a tattoo artist...he is covered from head to toe with tattoos....he is pretty talented with his artwork...and he makes damn good money doing what he does..I hardly consider him pond scum. ::)

Written By: Jessica on 01/04/08 at 9:25 pm

My cousin is a tattoo artist...he is covered from head to toe with tattoos....he is pretty talented with his artwork...and he makes damn good money doing what he does..I hardly consider him pond scum. ::)

But he is if he's covered in tats....unless he was a hot chick with an ass crack tattoo.....so sayeth the saver. :D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/04/08 at 9:32 pm

The fact that this article was published in the Philadelphia Daily News should to tell something. I had to
laugh when I read it, especially this part, "The tattoo boom of the early 1990s has given rise to tattoo regret,
and an increasing number of hipsters want to get rid of ink that was soooooo last year, studies show.
"
What studies has Wendy been looking at, tattoo parlors all over the Philadelphia area are booked solid.
There are very few walk in parlors left, most are appointment only and have at least a month wait.

The ones who are getting tattoos removed are the young ones who go in on a spur of the moment, pick
out a piece of flash art and think it'll be cool to get, 10 years later the flash don't look so good. Planned,
custom pieces, on the other hand, are beautiful. A lot of thought goes into these pieces and the owners
are proud to wear them, like me. I am extremely proud of the work I've had done and I am not through
yet but I'll tell you this, you'll only see them if I want you to.

Now, back to the Philadelphia Daily News. Regular Daily News readers know how to read this paper. Back
to front. The sports pages are in the back and it is one of the best sports pages in the area. You only read
the rest of the paper if you want to kill time, to get real news we read the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 9:33 pm

But he is if he's covered in tats....unless he was a hot chick with an ass crack tattoo.....so sayeth the saver. :D

oh yes...that's right. ::)

Written By: Tia on 01/04/08 at 9:37 pm

well, i think even if he was a hot chick with a target tattoo he'd still be pond scum. it's just he'd be a PoSSWoLF. ("Pond Scum Saver Would Like to....")

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/08 at 9:57 pm

Blowhards like Bill Orally like to say, "If you're at a job interview and the boss sees a tattoo, yer not gettin' that job!"  But tattos (and sometimes butt tattoos) are so popular in my generation, a generation now entering the executive level in business, that the boss is likely to say, "I notice you got a tattoo there, wanna see mine?"
;D

I don't have one myself, they're not my thing.  My unsolicited advice to young folks considering getting a tattoo is to get one that will age well.    If I tattooed my ex's name on my arm, I'd have burned it off with a clothes iron by now!  Also, that abdominal mermaid might look hot when you're 20, but when you're 40 you'll both have C-sections!
:P

Written By: saver on 01/04/08 at 10:04 pm

You went too deep thinking I'm there to 'fantasize' about the girls' netherregions'..I do get a glimpse from some who may or may not be wanting to flash their work...it all just sticks out like a neon sign that says 'look'...

I don't think i said all tattoo wearers are SCUM there are the constant 'shows' of the industry out there where they relate to each other and compare...

then there are those stories of the ones who get them removed as they (MATURE??)age to find it was a whim or whatever they were going through...I think then to be fair with those who know the rate of people getting tats-that the waiting list is so backed up..be fair and look into the waiting list of those trying to get theirs removed- one place I hear promoted alot is Dr. Tattoff...

My observations have been regarding the place I spend most of my time...the general workplace noticing clients, employees, and higher CEO offiicials...I know of a popular band leader who announces on a national network talk show and he has arm length tattoo job but wears a suit on the show to keep it covered..for those who get it for expressing themselves, it looks like  THE MAN in big business is stifling that expression and I wonder if anyone has stepped to the plate to say what the lovers of the body art are saying here??
WE CAN DO THE JOB WELL, OVERLOOK THIS DISPLAY ON ME....It doesn't seem to fly...That is why I stated, it is usually a person who owns their own business that gives them the ability to dsiplay one/some.

I don't know if it will be in my lifetime but I don't think I'll be seeing the leader of the free world to be sporting one, or others I admire in business from Bill Gates to anyone else striving to earn 7 figures, so I follow their lead and hope to hear someone ask them for their comments as to it being acceptable or a turn off. I, again, say I found it to be marring an already masterpiece -the human body..turning it into a colouring book. Express yourself by wearing a shirt or bumper sticker.  (Thhis is not to comment on ones intelligence, but as to reasoning why I would not want one.)        

Written By: Tia on 01/04/08 at 10:21 pm

i'm always playing with the idea of getting a tattoo, to tell you the truth i just haven't gotten an idea for one i like enough.

although... i've always liked the idea of getting the crow t. robot Krazy Krow conversion van art (from MST3k episode 324, Master Ninja II) tattooed on a bicep.

http://i14.tinypic.com/6jz3gup.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/6krs5jd.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/08 at 11:40 pm

I remember one kid I knew got a tattoo of the Pillsbury Dough Boy on his low back.  Very cute.  Now be reeeeal good so's you don't never ever hafta go to jail with that thing!

I knew another guy who got the Les Miserables Cossette on his deltoid.  That'll work down at the biker bar with the dragons and the snakes and the skulls.  Yeah, you got Jean Valjean revving ups his Harley on the strip

http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com/images/lesmizwall.jpg

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/05/08 at 8:01 pm

It surprises me to no end that this sort of thing is even an issue,i mean even my grandma who was 91 years old and who thought tattoos were hideous wouldn't judge someone like that. You must be put to shame everyday if you assume so much..."God,you're square" ::)

When i see someone with a tattoo,do you know the first thing that crosses my mind? "You're gutsy!"

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/06/08 at 3:26 pm

^ I actually ask about the symbolism of their tattoo, they usually have a good reason other than "just cuz".

Check for new replies or respond here...