inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Twenteens: a name for the next decade

Written By: rowan on 01/04/08 at 4:38 pm

hi there

I was thinking about a name for the next decade, and came up with 'Twenteens' - as in, the Twenty-Teens (2010 - 2019).
Ok so it doesn't describe 2010, 2011 and 2012 but it does 2013 to 2019 so it's close enough right?

cheers,
rowan

rowan3.com

Subject: Re: Twenteens: a name for the next decade

Written By: Blackjack on 01/04/08 at 5:27 pm

hi there

I was thinking about a name for the next decade, and came up with 'Twenteens' - as in, the Twenty-Teens (2010 - 2019).
Ok so it doesn't describe 2010, 2011 and 2012 but it does 2013 to 2019 so it's close enough right?

cheers,
rowan

rowan3.com

I like that... that sounds pretty cool, but we need to thing of a name for our decade.  I think the Zoogs sound cool or the new aughts.  Double-twenties sound awesome for the 2020s.

Written By: Monkey on 01/04/08 at 5:46 pm

I think "Twenty-Tens" is fine.

Written By: rowan on 01/05/08 at 6:02 am

I think "Twenty-Tens" is fine.

This does follow on from previous centuries, in which those decades were called 'the 1910s', 'the 1810s'. But 'ten' only refers to one year in the decade. 'Teen' refers to 7 of the years (13 to 19 inclusive). But 'the nineteen-teens', 'the eighteen-teens' wouldn't have worked, or a shortened version 'the nineteens' wouldn't make sense. 'Twenty-teens' does shorten nicely to 'twenteens'.

>Zoogs
where does that come from? Because it looks like 2009?

Written By: Tia on 01/05/08 at 6:04 am

since "tweens" are kids between 10 and 12 we could call 2010 to 2012 the "tweentweens" to fill the gap.

Written By: rowan on 01/05/08 at 7:08 am

since "tweens" are kids between 10 and 12 we could call 2010 to 2012 the "tweentweens" to fill the gap.

interesting... maybe we should just call the whole decade 'the tweens' as in 'Twenty-Teens' -> 'Twen-teens' -> 'Tweens'. For the kid 'tweens' word, the 'tw' comes from 'between' but for the decade it comes from the 'tw' in twenty. Nice.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/05/08 at 9:25 am

This does follow on from previous centuries, in which those decades were called 'the 1910s', 'the 1810s'. But 'ten' only refers to one year in the decade. 'Teen' refers to 7 of the years (13 to 19 inclusive). But 'the nineteen-teens', 'the eighteen-teens' wouldn't have worked, or a shortened version 'the nineteens' wouldn't make sense. 'Twenty-teens' does shorten nicely to 'twenteens'.

>Zoogs
where does that come from? Because it looks like 2009?

or 2006.

Written By: Trevor on 01/18/10 at 11:24 am

think that "oneders" sounds better than Twenteens, also adds a bit of mystery to the decade

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/19/10 at 10:17 am

think that "oneders" sounds better than Twenteens, also adds a bit of mystery to the decade

That makes me think of "oh-need-ers" from "That Thing You Do!"  ;D

Written By: nally on 01/19/10 at 10:19 am

That makes me think of "oh-need-ers" from "That Thing You Do!"   ;D

Exactly as I was thinking!! They originally spelled their band name that way, but Tom Hanks' character suggested they change it to the proper spelling because it confused too many people! That was such a fun movie.

Check for new replies or respond here...