inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just curious, who actually likes current MTV?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/05/08 at 8:19 pm

You know, the simplest thing occured to me. We all do our fair share of complaining about the 2000s version of MTV. Even though the criticizing can get old, I do totally agree with it. Everything from the fact that it's no longer about music or even other programs they once showed (i.e. Beavis and Butthead), or that it's very reality TV dominated.

It's not just from people on here, but I've read it from tons of places online by people of all ages. Same thing with any of my friends and other people whenever the subject comes up. I guess it started becoming like it is today in terms of audience and format when TRL took off in 1998/'99, but they still pulled the teenyboppers in. Yet when it dropped music videos and other traces of its old-school roots, that's when pretty much everyone seemed to abandon it.

That being said, it wouldn't exist if it didn't have an audience. I mean SOMEONE obviously watches the current programming, but I wonder just exactly who? Like I said, everyone that I've come across seems to think it sucks.

Subject: Re: Just curious, who actually likes current MTV?

Written By: woops on 01/05/08 at 8:25 pm

Only when "Taquita & Kaui" was on the air for a few episodes...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/08 at 2:04 am

I haven't watched MTV in YEARS. I think the last thing I watched on there, were episodes (reruns) of The Real World...but that got so old after awhile.

Written By: tv on 01/06/08 at 7:41 am

You know, the simplest thing occured to me. We all do our fair share of complaining about the 2000s version of MTV. Even though the criticizing can get old, I do totally agree with it. Everything from the fact that it's no longer about music or even other programs they once showed (i.e. Beavis and Butthead), or that it's very reality TV dominated.

It's not just from people on here, but I've read it from tons of places online by people of all ages. Same thing with any of my friends and other people whenever the subject comes up. I guess it started becoming like it is today in terms of audience and format when TRL took off in 1998/'99, but they still pulled the teenyboppers in. Yet when it dropped music videos and other traces of its old-school roots, that's when pretty much everyone seemed to abandon it.

No in 1998 MTV was still decent in 1999 it became crap basically.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/08 at 7:48 am

For the last few years I have always skipped by MTV when channel hopping.

Where are all the pop videos now (don't say other channels)?

Written By: Jessica on 01/06/08 at 9:49 am

I don't watch it....because I don't have cable/satellite. :D

Well, I didn't watch it when I lived in California either. It got too reality based and stupid.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/06/08 at 6:54 pm

It used to be good when they showed Made, Room Raiders, Beauty and The Geek, and all that good stuff, but now they just pick a show and just rerun the whole thing until you get sick of it.  It was better in 2004-2005 when they had more variety instead just Top Model Marathons and Tila Tequila crap.  I like the MTV Hits on my digital cable system than the current MTV.... need more variety and the Hills make me want to throw up.  The N has great shows and even Disney is better than MTV... ABC Family is not bad.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/07/08 at 2:38 am

I don't know anybody who watches MTV or MTV2 these days. I might catch a tiny blip while channel surfing, but that's about it.

Written By: Midas on 01/07/08 at 3:03 pm

Can't stand what eMpTyV has become.  That Sweet Sixteen show that I've caught a glimpse of has to be the worst show in the history of television ever.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/08 at 3:10 pm

I haven't watched anything on MTV since Beavis and Butthead.  Before B&B, I watched 120 Minutes, but between Nirvana and Happy Mondays, my interest in 120 Minutes died.  That is to say, the boring Grunge and the fatuous Manchester sound that took over "alternative" music circa 1991 killed pop music for me and I was forced to develop different tastes starting with Brian Eno and moving on from there.

Written By: Henk on 01/07/08 at 3:50 pm

I don't watch a lot of tv nowadays. Sometimes, by pure chance, I happen to find an episode of "Made" that I haven't seen already (slim chance!). That's about it.

Can't stand what eMpTyV has become.  That Sweet Sixteen show that I've caught a glimpse of has to be the worst show in the history of television ever.

Oh God..."My Super Sweet Sixteen", or whatever it's called, features some of the most spoilt brats in the universe. "Of course you can get an SUV" "Well, hon, what's a party without (any famous rapper)..?"  Makes me wanna throw up. 8-P And none of these kids look 16, btw.

Written By: Jessica on 01/07/08 at 4:00 pm

Oh God..."My Super Sweet Sixteen", or whatever it's called, features some of the most spoilt brats in the universe. "Of course you can get an SUV" "Well, hon, what's a party without (any famous rapper)..?"  Makes me wanna throw up. 8-P And none of these kids look 16, btw.

Oh sweet mercy. Those children need a good ass kicking. I think there has been only twice that I've seen parents take action against their kids when they were acting up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 4:03 pm

South Park is always featured on MTV now.

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/08 at 4:04 pm

I don't get MTV, but I am glad.  I mean if a channel originally devoted to music doesn't play music, then why would I want to watch it?

We have MTV Canada (which I also don't get) and get this.  A few years ago, they came into legal troubles with a competing market who claimed that MTV Canada was playing too many music videos.  Gee, a music video channel that is playing music videos?  Off with their heads >:( ::)

Written By: Tam on 01/07/08 at 4:07 pm

MTV?

What's MTV?

If you mean the channel that used to play nothing but music videos but has since gone to the crapper.... then No, I don't watch MTV.

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 4:08 pm

MTV?

What's MTV?

If you mean the channel that used to play nothing but music videos but has since gone to the crapper.... then No, I don't watch MTV.

;D
Do you mean JackassTV?

Written By: Henk on 01/07/08 at 4:09 pm

I don't get MTV, but I am glad.  I mean if a channel originally devoted to music doesn't play music, then why would I want to watch it?

We have MTV Canada (which I also don't get) and get this.  A few years ago, they came into legal troubles with a competing market who claimed that MTV Canada was playing too many music videos.  Gee, a music video channel that is playing music videos?  Off with their heads >:( ::)

Oh, they didn't tell you?

The "M" stands for "Mind-numbing" nowadays.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/07/08 at 5:21 pm

I don't know anybody who watches MTV or MTV2 these days. I might catch a tiny blip while channel surfing, but that's about it.

I only watch it when they are showing Made or High School Stories, and some of these old school new school MTV shows... that's about it.  I just skip past American Top Model.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/07/08 at 5:23 pm

I don't watch a lot of tv nowadays. Sometimes, by pure chance, I happen to find an episode of "Made" that I haven't seen already (slim chance!). That's about it.

Most of them are actually 25 acting like they are 16... or they are close relatives to the Queen I suppose!!!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/10/08 at 7:54 pm

I really do not watch MTV like I use to between the years of 1992-1998. It's just not the same.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/11/08 at 6:47 am

Sorry guys, I think I might've been unclear with what I meant here, lol.

What I meant was...I don't think I've met anyone in the last 5 or 6 years who has actually liked MTV in its current state, yet obviously SOMEBODY does, or else it wouldn't be on the air and its programming wouldn't be profitable. I wonder just who its current audience is though, because everyone I've ever asked about it when the subject has come up, says it sucks.

You guys are all saying you don't watch it anymore and it's turned to garbage (which I happen to agree with as well). That's proving the point at hand. ;)

Written By: haleym8826 on 01/11/08 at 9:32 am

I watch a few of the shows on mtv but not amn are good at all now a days.

Written By: KKay on 01/11/08 at 9:48 am

I havaen't watched in years.  it used to be ther shizzznit!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/11/08 at 12:56 pm

Hey Marty, I catch your drift. I would assume that even thought maybe a lot of kids that are over 18 find MTV rather trashy and bland, I think it's now aiming at the tweens, and I believe that the tweens have become their core audience - unfortunately, the programming is still too adult for that kind of audience, but it definetly is made for someone who's intelligence is not too high. It's kinda sad they think so lowly of their audience. They must think the kids between 13-16 are pretty dumb to even watch the stuff they produce.

Written By: VeriForce on 01/12/08 at 12:51 pm

^I don't think that's right either. I'm 14 and I don't know anyone who doesn't think MTV is terrible.^

Written By: woops on 01/12/08 at 8:35 pm

It went downhill in 1997...  8-P

VH1 is no different, though it's now a clone of E!... which isn't even a good channel in the first place

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/13/08 at 8:55 am

I don't mind it, actually. Most of the shows, I wouldn't openly admit to liking, but many shows on MTV are guilty pleasures for me.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/13/08 at 3:06 pm

I don't mind it, actually. Most of the shows, I wouldn't openly admit to liking, but many shows on MTV are guilty pleasures for me.

Same here.  I love the Real World, and those Real World/Road Rules challenges.  I have been watching them since I was a teenager.

Written By: sugar168 on 01/13/08 at 10:54 pm

Only when "Taquita & Kaui" was on the air for a few episodes...

what happened to them?!?! it was funny!!!

But i watch some shows...real world and some others, i want to know how they have all of the challenges if there are now new road rules.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/16/08 at 11:47 am

What I meant was...I don't think I've met anyone in the last 5 or 6 years who has actually liked MTV in its current state, yet obviously SOMEBODY does, or else it wouldn't be on the air and its programming wouldn't be profitable. I wonder just who its current audience is though, because everyone I've ever asked about it when the subject has come up, says it sucks.

You guys are all saying you don't watch it anymore and it's turned to garbage (which I happen to agree with as well). That's proving the point at hand. ;)

Marty, I haven't actually know anybody that watched MTV since I was in High School around 4 or more years ago, and nobody that I knew in college watched it either. In all honesty, the last time that I can recall where most of the people I knew watched it was probably back when I was in middle school in the late '90s.

Hey Marty, I catch your drift. I would assume that even thought maybe a lot of kids that are over 18 find MTV rather trashy and bland, I think it's now aiming at the tweens, and I believe that the tweens have become their core audience - unfortunately, the programming is still too adult for that kind of audience, but it definetly is made for someone who's intelligence is not too high. It's kinda sad they think so lowly of their audience. They must think the kids between 13-16 are pretty dumb to even watch the stuff they produce.

I would agree. The age of an average MTV viewer is alot lower now than it used to be. My parents watched MTV back in it's early days and they were in there 20's and even into there 30's, but today nobody outside of high school age seems to care much about it.

Written By: Midas on 01/16/08 at 2:02 pm

Part of the answer to your question as to who likes current MTV  is probably the corporate dipsticks who work there because they get to say they work for MTV.  :D

Don't get me wrong; MTV was and still is a force in defining pop culture, but the current MTV channel is just a big pile of poop IMO.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/16/08 at 9:02 pm

Do you mean JackassTV?

Pretty much it!!!  ;D

Written By: donniedarko**** on 01/16/08 at 10:46 pm

marty come on MSN! it's my birthday!

Check for new replies or respond here...