inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Barenaked Ladies(The Band)

Written By: tv on 01/10/08 at 3:01 pm

The Barenaked Ladies were a band that hit big in the late 90's/early 00's. I thought they were corny but looking back on it they were just a funny act like that line they used in the song "because I'm like LeAnn Rimes because I'm all about values." Was anybody into this band? I think they were a band that did a certain kind of music, enjoyed doing their brand of music, and made some money.

Subject: Re: The Barenaked Ladies(The Band)

Written By: nally on 01/10/08 at 3:08 pm

Yes, they were a good band, with some good music. Btw you just quoted a line from their song "One Week", which came out almost ten years ago now! :o What's odd about their band name is that it's a double misnomer...they're all guys, and last time I saw them they were fullyclothed! :D

Written By: tv on 01/10/08 at 3:12 pm

Yes, they were a good band, with some good music. Btw you just quoted a line from their song "One Week", which came out almost ten years ago now! :o What's odd about their band name is that it's a double misnomer...they're all guys, and last time I saw them they were fullyclothed! :D
Gotta look them up on Wikepedia to see how the band got its name.

Written By: nally on 01/10/08 at 3:14 pm

Gotta look them up on Wikepedia to see how the band got its name.

yes but that's not always a trustable source, as anyone can edit information on that site.

Aside from "One Week", other big hits they had in the U.S. include "It's All Been Done" (1999) and "Pinch Me" (2000). Since they are a Canadian band, maybe our friend Jason (whistle-dog) will have some information about all their songs' chart positions.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/10/08 at 3:18 pm

I enjoy "One Week" and "Pinch Me".

Written By: tv on 01/10/08 at 3:22 pm

yes but that's not always a trustable source, as anyone can edit information on that site.

Aside from "One Week", other big hits they had in the U.S. include "It's All Been Done" (1999) and "Pinch Me" (2000). Since they are a Canadian band, maybe our friend Jason (whistle-dog) will have some information about all their songs' chart positions.
Yeah I remember "Its All Been Done".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/08 at 8:51 pm

I liked "Be My Yoko Ono."
:D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/10/08 at 9:07 pm

odd about their band name is that it's a double misnomer...they're all guys

Barenaked Ladies is more appealing to a wider audience than the name Barenaked Men  :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/08 at 11:28 pm

They are much bigger in Canada yes.  The Canadian charts I have are only archived up until 2000, so singles beyond that are sketchy on how well they did in Canada, but I Can tell you they were popular.  Just not sure how high they reached in the chart

1992 - Lovers in A Dangerous Time
1992 - Be My Yoko Ono
1992 - Enid
1992 - Grade 9
1993 - If I Had $1,000,000
1993 - What A Good Boy
1993 - Brian Wilson
1994 - Jane
1995 - Alternative Girlfriend
1995 - Life, in a Nutshell
1996 - Shoe Box
1996 - The Old Apartment
1997 - Brian Wilson (US Release)
1998 - One Week
1998 - It's All Been Done
1999 - Call and Answer
1999 - Get in Line
1999 - Brian Wilson (UK Release)
2000 - Pinch Me
2001 - Falling For the First Time
2001 - Too Little Too Late
2001 - Thanks That Was Fun
2003 - Another Postcard
2004 - Testing 1, 2, 3
2004 - For You
2004 - Celebrity
2006 - Easy

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/08 at 11:32 pm

Oh, and 'Jane' is still my favourite.  Whenever it comes on the radio, I just have to sing along

"Jane, divided, but I can't decide which side i'm on"

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/10/08 at 11:46 pm

Who Needs Sleep? and If I Had $1,000,000 are two of my favorites by them.

Written By: nally on 01/11/08 at 12:02 am

Barenaked Ladies is more appealing to a wider audience than the name Barenaked Men  :D

Or "Fullyclothed Gentlemen"? ;D

Written By: nally on 01/11/08 at 12:09 am

They are much bigger in Canada yes.  The Canadian charts I have are only archived up until 2000, so singles beyond that are sketchy on how well they did in Canada, but I Can tell you they were popular.  Just not sure how high they reached in the chart

1992 - Lovers in A Dangerous Time
1992 - Be My Yoko Ono
1992 - Enid
1992 - Grade 9
1993 - If I Had $1,000,000
1993 - What A Good Boy
1993 - Brian Wilson
1994 - Jane
1995 - Alternative Girlfriend
1995 - Life, in a Nutshell
1996 - Shoe Box
1996 - The Old Apartment
1997 - Brian Wilson (US Release)
1998 - One Week
1998 - It's All Been Done
1999 - Call and Answer
1999 - Get in Line
1999 - Brian Wilson (UK Release)

Looks like they were very popular in their native homeland during the 90's. So '96 was when they first reached the US? I did not know that, given that they reached a low peak position with their first single; I just remember hearing about them for the first time 10 years ago, when they released "One Week." :) And I do sorta remember hearing "Call & Answer" on the radio in '99; guess it was a flop here. :-\\

As for their 00's singles...

2000 - Pinch Me
2001 - Falling For the First Time
2001 - Too Little Too Late
2001 - Thanks That Was Fun
2003 - Another Postcard
2004 - Testing 1, 2, 3
2004 - For You
2004 - Celebrity
2006 - Easy

I also sorta know "Falling For The First Time" and "Too Little Too Late." And I also remember "Another Postcard."

Written By: whistledog on 01/11/08 at 1:23 am

Looks like they were very popular in their native homeland during the 90's. So '96 was when they first reached the US? I did not know that, given that they reached a low peak position with their first single; I just remember hearing about them for the first time 10 years ago, when they released "One Week." :) And I do sorta remember hearing "Call & Answer" on the radio in '99; guess it was a flop here. :-\\

As for their 00's singles...I also sorta know "Falling For The First Time" and "Too Little Too Late." And I also remember "Another Postcard."

Some of the ones that didn't chart in the US Hot 100, I gather may have been popular on the US Rock chart

Written By: Davester on 01/11/08 at 1:44 am

Heh, tv had to add "the band".  As if anyone doesn't like bare, naked ladies...

Um, I can't stand this group...

Written By: limblifter on 01/11/08 at 2:39 am

Gordon was an amazing album. What A Good Boy is still my favourite by them.

Written By: nally on 01/11/08 at 6:56 pm

Some of the ones that didn't chart in the US Hot 100, I gather may have been popular on the US Rock chart

You're probably right. I know that their biggest hit, "One Week", spent 5 weeks atop the Modern Rock chart.

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/08 at 8:06 pm

What I always found interesting about BNL was their first hit 'Lovers in A Dangerous Time' was a cover of the 1984 hit by Bruce Cockburn.  They recorded it for a Bruce Cockburn tribute album.  At the time they were unknowns and barely had a record deal.  Quite an accomplishment for an unknown group

In their song "If I Had $1,000,000", they mention Kraft Dinner.  In an interview they once gave, they often got fan mail and questions from US and International fans asking what Kraft Dinner is LOL  Whenever they play that song live in Canada, fans sometimes throw Kraft Dinner on the stage :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/15/08 at 8:30 am

Very Good Band. I like their music and their albums. But let's go on what the albums were....

Gordon-Very good album. With witty songs such as "Brian Wilson", "Be My Yoko Ono", and "If I had $1000000".

Maybe You Should Drive-This is where they get a little serious. But there's soms good songs such as "A", "Everything Old is new Again", and "Alternative Girlfriend".

Born on a Pirate Ship-My least favorite BNL album. Though I liked the songs "Break Your Heart" and "Spider in my Room".

Stunt-This is the album that made BNL popular. The songs I like on here are "Alcohol", "Never is Enough", and "Some Fantastic".

Maroon-This is where BNL gets more experimental. Best songs-"Sell, Sell, Sell" and "Asleep at the Wheel".

Everything to Everyone-My brother thought this album was boring. But I like the songs "Upside Down", "Next Time", and "Shopping".

...Are Me-Part one of two albums. Best songs-"Adrift" and "Rule the World with Love"

...Are Men-Part two of two albums. Best Songs-"Angry People" and "Running Out of Ink"

Written By: KKay on 01/15/08 at 8:36 am

I don't really like them.

here's a funny one: my friend is going on a "Barenaked Cruise"...you can choose to join one activity with the band.  He's going to make a grilled cheese with them.

Hehe

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/08 at 12:48 pm

One week was famous over here and I thought their fast singing was pretty good. I heard 'If I had a $1,000,000' but that didn't do much for me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/22/08 at 11:22 am

I liked "One Week" alot when it came out. Hard to believe that was nearly 10 years ago.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 9:46 pm

Does anybody remember Eugene Levy dancing to Barenaked Ladies at the end of one of the American Pie films.  They are actually from Tam's home town as well as Dan Akroyd.  Three great people from Ontario, Canada.

Check for new replies or respond here...