inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The death of teen shows

Written By: Blackjack on 01/11/08 at 8:58 pm

Just think about it, back in the 1970s and the 1980s,and even the 1990s, there were a whole sh**load of shows just designed for teenagers.  We had Home Improvement, Grounded for Life, and all that good stuff, and back in the 1970s, there was the Brady Bunch and the whatever the show is that featured the hot model chicks.  Now, there is basically nothing for teenagers on the TV.  We got the N and Degrassi is all they play, and MTV is too adult orientated.  What do kids watch now.

And even High School Musical is more tween orientated than the supposedly teen orientated along with Zoey 101.  What do teens like to watch right now?  Or they basically hate TV!!!

Subject: Re: The death of teen shows

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/08 at 9:40 pm

Just think about it, back in the 1970s and the 1980s,and even the 1990s, there were a whole sh**load of shows just designed for teenagers.  We had Home Improvement, Grounded for Life, and all that good stuff, and back in the 1970s, there was the Brady Bunch and the whatever the show is that featured the hot model chicks.  Now, there is basically nothing for teenagers on the TV.  We got the N and Degrassi is all they play, and MTV is too adult orientated.  What do kids watch now.

And even High School Musical is more tween orientated than the supposedly teen orientated along with Zoey 101.  What do teens like to watch right now?  Or they basically hate TV!!!

actually the N plays more than Degrassi .... they just play degrassi alot.  The Best Years, South of Nowhere, unfabulous, instant star, about a girl and reruns of several popular youth oriented shows can be found on the n since it went into 24/7 mode

Written By: whistledog on 01/11/08 at 10:25 pm

actually the N plays more than Degrassi .... they just play degrassi alot.  The Best Years, South of Nowhere, unfabulous, instant star, about a girl and reruns of several popular youth oriented shows can be found on the n since it went into 24/7 mode

I didn't know 'Instant Star' was seen in the US

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/08 at 10:34 pm

I didn't know 'Instant Star' was seen in the US

Actually I'm pretty sure its Candian but I could be wrong....

Remember So Weird? the actress from that (or the one who replaced the original star) she plays a girl who just won an American Idol type contest and follows her journey from the moment she wins

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/08 at 12:14 am

Actually I'm pretty sure its Candian but I could be wrong....

Remember So Weird? the actress from that (or the one who replaced the original star) she plays a girl who just won an American Idol type contest and follows her journey from the moment she wins

Instant Star is a Canadian series yes.  CDs that feature music from the show as performed by the lead actress Alexz Johnson are very popular here

Written By: Blackjack on 01/12/08 at 11:24 am

I haven't watched the N and I am 17... in about two-four years I will be more or less an adult and I might be too old for these shows... maybe not?  Technically, a teenager is anyone from 13-19.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/12/08 at 11:25 am

I haven't watched the N and I am 17... in about two-four years I will be more or less an adult and I might be too old for these shows... maybe not?  Technically, a teenager is anyone from 13-19.

I am also a junior in high school... born September 28, 1990.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/08 at 11:31 am

I'm 40 and I watch these shows but that's because i'm strange

Instant Star is a Canadian series yes.  CDs that feature music from the show as performed by the lead actress Alexz Johnson are very popular here

Sorry Jason... I misread your original post. When you said you didn't know the show was seen in the US I somehow (go figure) read you weren't familiar with the show... I have to stop scanning posts...

anyway- The N airs several shows aimed at teens that come from Canada.  Outside of those states boarding you - its just about the only Canadian TV we're exposed to.  There's a BBC America... I would like to see CTV America on the airs by 2009.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/12/08 at 11:36 am

I'm 40 and I watch these shows but that's because i'm strange

Sorry Jason... I misread your original post. When you said you didn't know the show was seen in the US I somehow (go figure) read you weren't familiar with the show... I have to stop scanning posts...

anyway- The N airs several shows aimed at teens that come from Canada.  Outside of those states boarding you - its just about the only Canadian TV we're exposed to.   There's a BBC America... I would like to see CTV America on the airs by 2009.

We need some American teen shows... Hannah Montana is definetly American.  Where can you find US and European teen shows on cable TV?

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/08 at 11:59 am

We need some American teen shows... Hannah Montana is definetly American.  Where can you find US and European teen shows on cable TV?

Nickelodeon (aka Teen Nick), The Disney Channel, The CW, and some networks early Saturday Morning... isn't Flight 29 Is Down a teen show?
That's one show I don't watch.

Sadly- although I haven't seen an episode of The Naked Brothers Band the nick channels play their music videos a lot I really hated these videos.. like "Crazy Car"  the latest one is "If That's Not Love Then What Is"  I've heard this song at least 3 times a night and twice every morning since November and DAMN IT its growing on me... UGH  8-P !

For the adults still paying attention - the Naked Brothers Band stars the sons of Polly Draper who you might remember from thritysomething
She writes and directs the series. Really I was disappointed when I first heard that.  Seems like nepotism gone wrong to me. Her kids aren't that cute...but whatever I don't have to watch it.

Written By: VeriForce on 01/12/08 at 12:58 pm

The only "teen shows" I watch are full house and home improvement. There are no other decent teen shows on anymore.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/12/08 at 2:37 pm

Nickelodeon (aka Teen Nick), The Disney Channel, The CW, and some networks early Saturday Morning... isn't Flight 29 Is Down a teen show?
That's one show I don't watch.

Sadly- although I haven't seen an episode of The Naked Brothers Band the nick channels play their music videos a lot I really hated these videos.. like "Crazy Car"  the latest one is "If That's Not Love Then What Is"  I've heard this song at least 3 times a night and twice every morning since November and DAMN IT its growing on me... UGH  8-P !

For the adults still paying attention - the Naked Brothers Band stars the sons of Polly Draper who you might remember from thritysomething
She writes and directs the series. Really I was disappointed when I first heard that.  Seems like nepotism gone wrong to me. Her kids aren't that cute...but whatever I don't have to watch it.

Thanks, but some of the shows on these channels may be girly and/or might be designed for the younger teen bunch.  Do yo know anything for the 16-19 bunch, or they basically watch the same stuff as adults.  Or it might depend on your high school stereotype... like preps watch the OC and Gossip Girl, ghetto people like to watch Rob and Big, these punk kids watch Miami Ink and the WWE, nerds anything documentary, etc.

Written By: McDonald on 01/12/08 at 5:39 pm

I would like to see CTV America on the airs by 2009.

Why? Almost half the stuff they play is American. And a lot of their original programming would be too uniquely Canadian to attract American audience.

I don't know, but I just can't see US viewers getting much of a kick out of Canada AM, Question Period, W-Five, or Canadian Idol (even though Canadian Idol is waaaayyyyy better and more interesting the American Idol).

Now, one thing I think would be cool for the States would be a channel with all the best original programming from all the Canadian channels. I can see it now... CanuckTV.

Programme list:

From CTV

Corner Gas
Robson Arms
Degrassi: The Next Generation
Degrassi High
Degrassi Junior High
Whistler
Canadian Idol
Street Legal

From CBC

Road to Avonlea
Wind at my Back
Hockey Night in Canada
Hatching, Matching and Dispatching
Little Mosque on the Prairie
This Hour Has 22 Minutes
The Rick Mercer Report
The Hour
Just For Laughs (Stand-up)
Royal Canadian Air Farce
Johnny Canuck Cinema
Canadian Antiques Roadshow
The Red Green Show
Kenny vs. Spenny
An American in Canada

From Global

The Best Years
Da Kink in my Hair
Ready or Not
Are You Smarter than a Canadian Fifth Grader?
and that's about all from Global because most of the stuff they play is popular garbage from the States.

And from various other channels...

Slings and Arrows
Trailer Park Boys
Durham County
Rent-a-Goalie
Naked Josh
Survivorman
Billable Hours
ReGenesis

And so much more!

Hell, I'd like to have a channel that good here in Canada!

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/08 at 6:00 pm

Why? Almost half the stuff they play is American. And a lot of their original programming would be too uniquely Canadian to attract American audience.

I don't know, but I just can't see US viewers getting much of a kick out of Canada AM, Question Period, W-Five, or Canadian Idol (even though Canadian Idol is waaaayyyyy better and more interesting the American Idol).

Now, one thing I think would be cool for the States would be a channel with all the best original programming from all the Canadian channels. I can see it now... CanuckTV.

Programme list:

From CTV

Corner Gas
Robson Arms
Degrassi: The Next Generation
Degrassi High
Degrassi Junior High
Whistler
Canadian Idol
Street Legal

From CBC

Road to Avonlea
Wind at my Back
Hockey Night in Canada
Hatching, Matching and Dispatching
Little Mosque on the Prairie
This Hour Has 22 Minutes
The Rick Mercer Report
The Hour
Just For Laughs (Stand-up)
Royal Canadian Air Farce
Johnny Canuck Cinema
Canadian Antiques Roadshow
The Red Green Show
Kenny vs. Spenny
An American in Canada

From Global

The Best Years
Da Kink in my Hair
Ready or Not
Are You Smarter than a Canadian Fifth Grader?
and that's about all from Global because most of the stuff they play is popular garbage from the States.

And from various other channels...

Slings and Arrows
Trailer Park Boys
Durham County
Rent-a-Goalie
Naked Josh
Survivorman
Billable Hours
ReGenesis

And so much more!

Hell, I'd like to have a channel that good here in Canada!

well I kind of figured if we were dedicating a channel to Candian Tv it would be mostly the good stuff I mean we have just as much crap on American TV we don't have to import from across the border. But there are some shows I've heard about from Canada (mostly past shows) that have never made it on the air here.

Written By: woops on 01/12/08 at 8:32 pm

Though probably more "tween", though I know there's people in their later teens/early 20's that watch it: "The Suite Life"

Ashley Tisdale was actually funny as "Maddie" :D, though the show went downhill later in the second season and made "Full House" look like gritty realism

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/08 at 6:48 pm

What happened to classics like "Saved By The Bell" and "Hang Time"?

SBTB and HT were huge teen shows in their heyday.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/14/08 at 7:06 pm

What happened to classics like "Saved By The Bell" and "Hang Time"?

SBTB and HT were huge teen shows in their heyday.

They are now showing Saved By The Bell on the N right now... it is probably going to be the next annoying marathon after Degrassi.  What's next... the N shows Disney Channel shows because they are designed for older teenagers (16-19), like HANNAH MONTANA!!!

Written By: Bree on 01/14/08 at 7:12 pm

They are now showing Saved By The Bell on the N right now... it is probably going to be the next annoying marathon after Degrassi.  What's next... the N shows Disney Channel shows because they are designed for older teenagers (16-19), like HANNAH MONTANA!!!

Hannah Montana, or the spawn of some evil yokel,  is 15

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/14/08 at 7:30 pm

I love so-called teen programming, I used to watch Degrassi alot when I could get The N.  The Oblongs (cartoon) and Robot Chicken I like/liked too.  I used to watch most of the episodes of Flight 29 is down, but they finished up that show in 2007.  (I need to watch the last episode on youtube).  Even Saturday mornings or weekday afternoons aren't teen oriented anymore.  Back in the 90s I used to watch California Dreams, City Guys, USA High and Hang Time

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/14/08 at 7:47 pm

I think it's just because sitcoms sorta declined after the early 2000s, once reality TV surpassed it.

One thing in general I will say though, is that I think that label gets taken a little too seriously. For many of those shows, even if most of the characters and/or the main target audience are teens, it's not like they're the only ones who enjoy it. In fact, I bet lots of their viewers are either adults or younger kids. I watched Blossom when I was 11 or 12, but I'm a geek. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/08 at 11:49 pm

I think it's just because sitcoms sorta declined after the early 2000s, once reality TV surpassed it.

One thing in general I will say though, is that I think that label gets taken a little too seriously. For many of those shows, even if most of the characters and/or the main target audience are teens, it's not like they're the only ones who enjoy it. In fact, I bet lots of their viewers are either adults or younger kids. I watched Blossom when I was 11 or 12, but I'm a geek. ;D

I liked Blossom too and I was supposedly too old for it...but Six was HILARIOUS!

Written By: Blackjack on 01/15/08 at 4:56 pm

Hannah Montana, or the spawn of some evil yokel,  is 15

Hannah Montana will turn 16 in 2008, and the show will be too boring for the Disney whore generation, so it will be bumped up on a more mature teen channel such as the CW or most likely ABC Family.  More teens 17 years old will rather watch Laguna Beach and the WWE than Hannah Montana.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/15/08 at 4:57 pm

Hannah Montana will turn 16 in 2008, and the show will be too boring for the Disney whore generation, so it will be bumped up on a more mature teen channel such as the CW or most likely ABC Family.  More teens 17 years old will rather watch Laguna Beach and the WWE than Hannah Montana.

BTW, I will rather watch Hannah Montana than Laguna Beach anytime!!!
:D

Written By: default09 on 01/15/08 at 5:03 pm

I'm 16 and I don't really watch much TV.

If I do, I'm usually watching a movie or Comedy Central. MTV pretty much has no music shows so that's a fail right there. Also, Viacom only features bands they want to succeed. I kinda realized with Slim Biscuit. I sometimes watch History Channel for modern Marvels. I watch it for the weapons.

OH and don't forget ESPN Sports Center. lol

I'm not watching TV, I'm usually playing a video game, doing work, or hangin with friends.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/15/08 at 5:46 pm

I'm 16 and I don't really watch much TV.

If I do, I'm usually watching a movie or Comedy Central. MTV pretty much has no music shows so that's a fail right there. Also, Viacom only features bands they want to succeed. I kinda realized with Slim Biscuit. I sometimes watch History Channel for modern Marvels. I watch it for the weapons.

OH and don't forget ESPN Sports Center. lol

I'm not watching TV, I'm usually playing a video game, doing work, or hangin with friends.

Thanks.  Seems like teenagers watch the same stuff as adults.... they are basically adults when they graduate from high school or even seniors.  What I'm usually doing beside TV... internet, going to the game (going to GB tonight, rassling Thursday night), listening to music, whing my ass off to my mom, discuss pop culture bullsh** on here, used to have MySpace but mommy kicked me off, lots of stuff.... chillin' wit ma homiez in da hood!!!

Written By: default09 on 01/15/08 at 5:51 pm

I very much depends on the person. Me and my friends have our own transportation so we're more independent from our parents.

At school, there's this chick in my Physics class always talking about I love New York on MTV. I'm just like dammit woman. Don't you get sick of that?

Then there's those people that are like, "I'm gonna go home and play WoW all night"

Me and my buds have our own thing though. We like to go to the mall with laser pointers and piss people off w/o being noticed. :) Try it, it's hilarious.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/15/08 at 9:07 pm

I very much depends on the person. Me and my friends have our own transportation so we're more independent from our parents.

At school, there's this chick in my Physics class always talking about I love New York on MTV. I'm just like dammit woman. Don't you get sick of that?

Then there's those people that are like, "I'm gonna go home and play WoW all night"

Me and my buds have our own thing though. We like to go to the mall with laser pointers and piss people off w/o being noticed. :) Try it, it's hilarious.

yeah pardon me, what are you talking about?  It sounds like you are trying to make a point... I might be flaky like grandma or I'm just tired.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/08 at 12:57 am

when I was 17 I watched teen targeted shows

Facts of Life
Fame
Degrassi
After School Specials

but I also watched adult shows like

Cagney & Lacey
Designing Women
Kate & Allie
St Elsewhere

by the time you hit that age you're watching adult oriented shows because you are becoming more of an adult... its a natural transition.

Written By: tv on 01/16/08 at 9:07 am

I love so-called teen programming, I used to watch Degrassi alot when I could get The N.  The Oblongs (cartoon) and Robot Chicken I like/liked too.  I used to watch most of the episodes of Flight 29 is down, but they finished up that show in 2007.  (I need to watch the last episode on youtube).  Even Saturday mornings or weekday afternoons aren't teen oriented anymore.  Back in the 90s I used to watch California Dreams, City Guys, USA High and Hang Time
I used to watch all those shows too. I remember "City High" my Mom actually used to watch it with me back in 1998 when I was senior in High School.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/16/08 at 6:15 pm

when I was 17 I watched teen targeted shows

Facts of Life
Fame
Degrassi
After School Specials

but I also watched adult shows like

Cagney & Lacey
Designing Women
Kate & Allie
St Elsewhere

by the time you hit that age you're watching adult oriented shows because you are becoming more of an adult... its a natural transition.

I noticed that I am stumbling on shows on the History Channel and the Discovery Channel, I like these documentaries about the Romans and the biblical stuff and such, Middle Ages and maybe WWII.  I also like to watch Fox Reality, these surveillance camera shows are pretty cool and I love those dating shows... I used to love Mind of Mencia back in the 10th grade but now he i stupid.  But I still watch Lizzie McGuire.

Written By: default09 on 01/17/08 at 8:36 pm

Yeah, Mancia's pretty damn stupid.

I rememba watching Degrassi in health class in 8th grade. Got sick of it I guess.

And about my above comments, I'm just saying that not every teenager watches the adult stuff. People are just different.

I've lately been watching the Vote 2008 thing on Fox. A bit to political for a teenager?

Check for new replies or respond here...