inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The ever changing genre that is; the game show.

Written By: Bluescreen_ODeff on 01/12/08 at 6:57 pm

About twenty years ago, you ask a person about their favorite game shows, and you'd probably get responses like Jeopardy!, Wheel of Fortune, and The Price Is Right.  Then, Trebek had dark hair, Sajak had dark hair, I think Vanna could barely run for President, and Barker (who was still the host) was barely gray headed. 

Warp speed to today.  Here's my report on the shows I've just spoke of:

Jeopardy!
Jeopardy!'s still syndicated and going strong.  Trebek's still the host, albeit white-headed.  The Clue Crew added youth and vigor to the show.  Instead of a $10K average win per show, we see a $20K average win per show because of the dollar value doubling.  Jeopardy!'s latest's contestants are unleashed as they can stay past five wins, which brings Ken Jennings, a sponge brain that nets him seven figures.  This causes the Ultimate Tournament of Champions, a several months long series of intellectual combat for $2 million, won by rags to riches game show host Brad Rutter.

Wheel of Fortune
The game is still the name; Sajak and Vanna are still there; the big changes come with the digital puzzleboard and new wheel prizes and spaces.  Now in the main game, you can win $25,000 in one spin!  In the bonus round, you can win up to $100,000!

The Price Is Right
In 1987/88, TPiR recently gets a new announcer in Rod Roddy.  Today, Rich Fields takes the mic. Bob has now retired after 35 years, and is now taken over by a Bill Cullen lookalike: Drew Carey.  Grand prizes on the show inflate to six-figure sums for a few lucky contestants.  In Price's new Million Dollar Spectacular, six-figure wins are common, and someone ALMOST wins $1,000,000 on the big wheel!

And now, here's the new breed of the game show:

Deal or No Deal
In 2003, the Netherlands invented this briefcase picking game with a grand prize of 5 million euros.  Two years later, it's here in America with comedian Howie Mandel and a $1 million grand prize.  Pick a case, find out a few at a time what's in the other cases, get a cash offer to quit.  No skill required. 

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
In 1998, the UK invented this modern answer to The $64,000 Question which is quite easier than the Hal March drama.  A year later, Regis takes the helm in the US with a $1 million grand prize.  It's been won several times, and for a couple folks, even more.  Now, Meredith Viera takes hold of the syndicated version in which you need to REALLY know your trivia just to win $25,000.

Other $1,000,000 Game Shows that have come and Gone

Greed - $2 million purse, a Millionaire clone.
Winning Lines - $1 million purse, elimination style game.
Maury's Twenty-One - Infinite purse, a decent (and honest) game, highest prize given away: over $1.7 million
Show Me The Money - Captain Kirk's million dollar dance party with questions and beautiful ladies.
The Rich List - A great game that should have stayed on the air!  Once again, an infinite purse, like Twenty-One.
Set For Life - A game with no skill required.  Pick a light, hope it's white.
Duel - Another decent game where questions and poker collide! (I hope it comes again next season)

Current $1,000,000 Game Shows Not Yet Mentioned

1 vs. 100 - Bob Saget's game of cryptic questions and a new meaning to the word "mob"
Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? - This will make you feel stupid despite it's elementary-school questions.
Power of 10 - Part Card Sharks, Part Drew Carey.  $10 million purse.
Don't Forget The Lyrics - Wayne Brady's music show and million dollar dance party.

Anybody notice any changes in the game show over the past twenty years?

Subject: Re: The ever changing genre that is; the game show.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/12/08 at 7:17 pm

Yeah, they cranked up the prize money to adjust for inflation :D

Written By: VeriForce on 01/12/08 at 10:22 pm

Super Market Sweep broke the formula. It is no longer aired, but it had people racing through a supermarket to rack up the highest price they could at the checkout line.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/13/08 at 3:26 pm

I hate modern game shows like "Deal or No Deal" and "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."  They make it all so dramatic with the lights and the music - blah!  I totally prefer old school shows like "Jeopardy," and "The Match Game."

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/08 at 4:36 pm

if you like Duel, you should check out the unique quiz game thread. someone is trying to start a Duel influenced game but needs more people to sign up.

I don't know I liked game shows better when they were on in the mornings and afternoons...not overrunning my primetime tv.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/13/08 at 4:46 pm

That had extended their length to an hour and they play it on the regular TV during primetime, not at 4:00 in the afternoon on NBC or 11:30 on CBS or something like that.  Games had been more teenybopper too, Deal or No Deal looks very Gen Y orientated.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/13/08 at 4:48 pm

I hate modern game shows like "Deal or No Deal" and "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."  They make it all so dramatic with the lights and the music - blah!  I totally prefer old school shows like "Jeopardy," and "The Match Game."

I like it with the lights and the music... but they are kinda lame too... think Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader, which will last until at least 2010.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/13/08 at 4:49 pm

if you like Duel, you should check out the unique quiz game thread. someone is trying to start a Duel influenced game but needs more people to sign up.

I don't know I liked game shows better when they were on in the mornings and afternoons...not overrunning my primetime tv.

yeah Deul is a cool game... not that bad!!!

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 01/13/08 at 8:46 pm

Techenicly American Idol is a game show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/08 at 2:23 am

What game do the contestants play?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/14/08 at 12:42 pm

What game do the contestants play?

Who can piss off Simon the least.

Written By: Bluescreen_ODeff on 01/14/08 at 4:17 pm

I like it with the lights and the music... but they are kinda lame too... think Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader, which will last until at least 2010.

"Maybe I should rephrase the question Mr. Foxworthy, I am not smarter than a 21st Century fifth grader."

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/08 at 4:23 pm

Yeah, they cranked up the prize money to adjust for inflation :D

Which is just enough money to buy a tank of gas :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/08 at 4:26 pm

Techenicly you spelled "Technically" wrong :D

If American Idol is a game show, then so is the Miss Universe Pageant, The Academy Awards, The Golden Globes, etc ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/08 at 4:36 pm

If American Idol is a game show, then so is the Miss Universe Pageant, The Academy Awards, The Golden Globes, etc ::)
Soon to have a name change, The Olympic Show!

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/14/08 at 4:55 pm

Actually, you're right. The deluge of "reality shows" is really just another form of game show.

The contestants are all put together on a remote island or put up together in a house or compete for the love of one person, singing for a record contract, win the car/house they fixed/built etc, etc.

Problem is, in most cases the prizes are pretty sucky  :D

Written By: Blackjack on 01/14/08 at 5:53 pm

No, and I think another season of this show will come on tommorow night.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/14/08 at 5:54 pm

Actually, you're right. The deluge of "reality shows" is really just another form of game show.

The contestants are all put together on a remote island or put up together in a house or compete for the love of one person, singing for a record contract, win the car/house they fixed/built etc, etc.

Problem is, in most cases the prizes are pretty sucky  :D

yeah, who wants to win a billion dollars for eating cow brains and then swimming through a ocean full of lava.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/14/08 at 10:21 pm

yeah, who wants to win a billion dollars for eating cow brains and then swimming through a ocean full of lava.

...ocean of lava?  Did they finally can that American Gladiators remake and bring on what we've been waiting for since The Running Man, namely Smash TV?  I'll buy that for a dollar!  Big money!  Big prizes!  I love it! 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/08 at 2:18 am

I will not be watching it!

Written By: Blackjack on 01/15/08 at 5:55 pm

No, they are these bland contest shows that are loved by 17 year old junior preps... same crowd as the Laguna Beach.  Basically the dominate TV of Gen Y.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/15/08 at 5:57 pm

"Maybe I should rephrase the question Mr. Foxworthy, I am not smarter than a 21st Century fifth grader."

Agreed.  The curriculums in the schools has changed so drastically since the contestants had been in the 5th grade... now we are doing some 1970s 8th grade algebra in 6th grade and decimals are introduced in like 3rd grade.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/15/08 at 5:59 pm

I will not be watching it!

That's basically Fear Factor... great show... died in 2005.  RIP Fear Factor... 2001-2006.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/08 at 11:34 am

That's basically Fear Factor... great show... died in 2005.  RIP Fear Factor... 2001-2006.

Fear Factor has been on Challenge TV.

Written By: Timm on 01/16/08 at 2:49 pm

I think what annoys me ffrom watching shows like Millionaire, 5th grader, deal or no deal, etc is that everytime your supposed to find out something, the MC "We will find out", then the cliche pause, "right after this" and go to commercial.

My wife makes me watch them when they first come out, then I find reasons to be busy in the garage or something when I know they are on. :)

Written By: Blackjack on 01/16/08 at 6:02 pm

Fear Factor has been on Challenge TV.

That's a great show... I used to watch it in the 7th grade.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/16/08 at 6:05 pm

I think what annoys me ffrom watching shows like Millionaire, 5th grader, deal or no deal, etc is that everytime your supposed to find out something, the MC "We will find out", then the cliche pause, "right after this" and go to commercial.

My wife makes me watch them when they first come out, then I find reasons to be busy in the garage or something when I know they are on. :)

I noticed that too... it seems like a new student gets a answer locked in on 5th grader, and basically... a commercial pop up.  And another thing, I notice that whenever on Millionaire that even the person has about $500, the show ends and thatz so annoying!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...