inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Terminator: The River Tam Beats Up Everyone Chronicles

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/13/08 at 11:33 pm

Terminator 2.5: What happens if you didn't beat the arcade machine...

Well, I guess we all know what happens if you beat the Terminator but didn't destroy all 100 pieces of equipment during the Cyberdyne Systems level of the Terminator 2 arcade machine.

On the upside, the new Terminator TV series was pretty much as described by XKCD a few months ago.  With gratuitous almost-nudity!  So much for humanity.  Fair trade, I say.

Subject: Re: Terminator: The River Tam Beats Up Everyone Chronicles

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/08 at 12:06 am

On the upside, the new Terminator TV series was pretty much as described by XKCD a few months ago.  With gratuitous almost-nudity!  So much for humanity.  Fair trade, I say.

I liked it... at first I was a little leery but 1/4 of the way through I was almost totally into it...

the Terminator is a little hard to take... the actor is almost over the top with his robotic reactions... I think he needs to make his movements smaller, less obvious, I love the cyborg chick tho....that was sweet...weird how she was all humany in the beginning but then switched immediately once her cover was blown....I'd like to see her struggle going back and forth between near human and cyborg...if she could do it in the beginning then she can do it now.

I haven't watched tonights yet but I'll get to it soon...saving the good stuff like Medium, Prison Break & Terminator for later and sifting through the crap first.

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/15/08 at 10:10 pm

I thought it was pretty good.  Im a fan of the terminator movies anyway.  The actors portraying John and Sarah are pretty good.  The good girl terminator is pretty good change as well.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/16/08 at 3:26 pm

The show was not bad.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/16/08 at 3:39 pm

I like the show.

I am sad that all Terminators don't look like Ah-nuld anymore :(

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/08 at 7:44 pm

Still impressed after the third episode..... turns out I've met one of the executive producers on a number of occasions...

I like that they're filling the blanks between T2 and T3 because T3 felt a little disconnected from the franchise

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/08 at 8:02 pm

I caught a bit of it in the cafeteria at work, just in time to hear that line I was waiting for ...

"Come with me if you want to live" ;D

Remember Earl Boen, the actor who played the psychologist the Terminator films?  Besides Ah-nuld, he was the only actor to appear in all three movies, and was the only actor to play the same character in all three films.  Just to make it 4, it would be so awesome if he appeared in the series LOL

http://www.gazillionmovies.com/Actor/E/Ea/Pictures/earl-boen.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/08 at 8:04 pm

I caught a bit of it in the cafeteria at work, just in time to hear that line I was waiting for ...

"Come with me if you want to live" ;D

Remember Earl Boen, the actor who played the psychologist the Terminator films?  Besides Ah-nuld, he was the only actor to appear in all three movies, and was the only actor to play the same character in all three films.  Just to make it 4, it would be so awesome if he appeared in the series LOL

http://www.gazillionmovies.com/Actor/E/Ea/Pictures/earl-boen.jpg

that would be awesome.. I totally missed him in the first one... gonna have to watch it again.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/22/08 at 10:02 pm

^ He was in the scenes where Sarah Connor was in the police station.  He left right before Ah-nuld crashed his car into the station and went batsh!t with the machine guns.

The most recent episode was CRAZY.  I didn't know Terminators could do that, I'll give them kudos for creativity :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/08 at 10:36 pm

I have a friend; she cried.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/23/08 at 12:02 am

I like that they're filling the blanks between T2 and T3 because T3 felt a little disconnected from the franchise

Maybe.  Or just think of it as an alternate time line.

In the (Terminator 2: Judgement Day) arcade game, if you destroyed 100/100 pieces of Cyberdyne equipment during the "lab" wave, and you subsequently destroyed the T-1000, the game ending was "The T-1000 has been Terminated.  The Future Is What You Make It." 

If you didn't get all the Cyberdyne equipment, the ending was exactly the same, except that "The T-1000 has been Terminated.  Cyberdyne research will continue."

The "T3: Rise of the Machines" movie deals with "The Future Is What You Make It" ending.  Turns out that despite the happy ending of the T2 movie, we suck, Skynet gets built anyway, and the future sucks too.

The TV series deals with the "Cyberdyne Research Will Continue" ending.  Not everything got blown up at the end of the movie -- because  of that guy with the chess-playing computer, and the bits and pieces of other Terminators that may or may not have existed while the T2 movie took place.  And because of the interesting bits of future technology that Skynet sends back to us (inadvertently or otherwise?  Sorta like Scotty and Kirk in Star Trek IV and the discovery of transparent aluminum) when a T-800 doesn't completely obliterate an information leak in 2007, but merely does a halfway-effective job of covering it up.

You could still theoretically reconcile the two series into the same timeline; it's never clear in T3 how Skynet is re-invented -- except that T3's ending was a delightful trick to play on the audience that had invested only a few hours in an action movie, but would be a pretty rotten thing to do to an audience that had watched a TV series for at least one, and possibly multiple, seasons.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/08 at 6:07 pm

They did work the whole "Sarah Connor had cancer" thing from T3 into the TV show, never found out how she got leukemia and the show suggests that she has no risk factors.  Maybe she decided to fight a Terminator in a nuclear power plant and got tossed into a vat of nukegoo.

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/08 at 9:02 pm

They did work the whole "Sarah Connor had cancer" thing from T3 into the TV show, never found out how she got leukemia and the show suggests that she has no risk factors.  Maybe she decided to fight a Terminator in a nuclear power plant and got tossed into a vat of nukegoo.

or since she "died" in 05 and they jumped in 99...she just isn't showing symptoms yet

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/08 at 9:18 pm

Maybe.  Or just think of it as an alternate time line.

In the (Terminator 2: Judgement Day) arcade game, if you destroyed 100/100 pieces of Cyberdyne equipment during the "lab" wave, and you subsequently destroyed the T-1000, the game ending was "The T-1000 has been Terminated.  The Future Is What You Make It." 

If you didn't get all the Cyberdyne equipment, the ending was exactly the same, except that "The T-1000 has been Terminated.  Cyberdyne research will continue."

The "T3: Rise of the Machines" movie deals with "The Future Is What You Make It" ending.  Turns out that despite the happy ending of the T2 movie, we suck, Skynet gets built anyway, and the future sucks too.

The TV series deals with the "Cyberdyne Research Will Continue" ending.  Not everything got blown up at the end of the movie -- because  of that guy with the chess-playing computer, and the bits and pieces of other Terminators that may or may not have existed while the T2 movie took place.  And because of the interesting bits of future technology that Skynet sends back to us (inadvertently or otherwise?  Sorta like Scotty and Kirk in Star Trek IV and the discovery of transparent aluminum) when a T-800 doesn't completely obliterate an information leak in 2007, but merely does a halfway-effective job of covering it up.

You could still theoretically reconcile the two series into the same timeline; it's never clear in T3 how Skynet is re-invented -- except that T3's ending was a delightful trick to play on the audience that had invested only a few hours in an action movie, but would be a pretty rotten thing to do to an audience that had watched a TV series for at least one, and possibly multiple, seasons.

I get what you're saying here and its pretty astute...

It gets little confusing; the chicken and the egg syndrome if you will....because the Terminator is sent back to 1984 to kill Sarah before John is conceived that way he cannot become the future leader he is...  John sends Kyle back to save Sarah ensuring his birth...mostly because Kyle isn't just her savior he is the father of her child.

But all that had to happen in the first place  in order for John to exist and be around to send Kyle back in the first place...see chicken - egg.

Having said that, I think tho that Skynet and John Conner keep trying to outwit, outlast, and outplay each other...

The reason the future never changes, why Cyberdine is never destroyed is because we are witnessing the world's ultimate chess game...

Connor's team makes a move requiring Skynet to counter

A new terminator is sent back in T2 and a new savior, is sent to protect Sarah and John. This time John tries to use their technology against them

Just when you think everything has been destroyed you learn that it hasn't hence T3

but prior to that there was a round we missed. John sent back rebels to different eras planted weapons all to aid in the fight for the future. Low and behold, other terminators were also sent back to different times as well...with a whole race of terminators out there of course Cyberdine research will continue because they need it too...

With every decision comes a new plan and each plan changes the future that's why we'll never get a definitive answer or a final outcome... they keep changing the rules.

Apparently they aren't as smart as they think they are... If it were me I would go back and kill Sarah at birth...ending any chances for sure that John will be around to challenge them in the future

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/24/08 at 5:26 pm

I get what you're saying here and its pretty astute...

It gets little confusing; the chicken and the egg syndrome if you will....because the Terminator is sent back to 1984 to kill Sarah before John is conceived that way he cannot become the future leader he is...  John sends Kyle back to save Sarah ensuring his birth...mostly because Kyle isn't just her savior he is the father of her child.

But all that had to happen in the first place  in order for John to exist and be around to send Kyle back in the first place...see chicken - egg.

Having said that, I think tho that Skynet and John Conner keep trying to outwit, outlast, and outplay each other...

The reason the future never changes, why Cyberdine is never destroyed is because we are witnessing the world's ultimate chess game...

Connor's team makes a move requiring Skynet to counter

A new terminator is sent back in T2 and a new savior, is sent to protect Sarah and John. This time John tries to use their technology against them

Just when you think everything has been destroyed you learn that it hasn't hence T3

but prior to that there was a round we missed. John sent back rebels to different eras planted weapons all to aid in the fight for the future. Low and behold, other terminators were also sent back to different times as well...with a whole race of terminators out there of course Cyberdine research will continue because they need it too...

With every decision comes a new plan and each plan changes the future that's why we'll never get a definitive answer or a final outcome... they keep changing the rules.

Apparently they aren't as smart as they think they are... If it were me I would go back and kill Sarah at birth...ending any chances for sure that John will be around to challenge them in the future

The series does seem to be a winner.  I am liking it alot.

As for killing Sarah at birth, maybe they have tried.  This series has shown us that there are multiple things going on that we dont know about.  So, they send someone back to kill Sarah at birth.  If John is smart as well, he would send back a protector then as well.  And if she wasn't born yet, then she wouldnt' have known about it.  :-\\  LoL. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/08 at 6:11 pm

The series does seem to be a winner.  I am liking it alot.

As for killing Sarah at birth, maybe they have tried.  This series has shown us that there are multiple things going on that we dont know about.  So, they send someone back to kill Sarah at birth.  If John is smart as well, he would send back a protector then as well.  And if she wasn't born yet, then she wouldnt' have known about it.  :-\\  LoL. 

that's true... I can see wild west version Terminators trying to kill Sarah's great great grandmother  ;D ... these cyborgs could be the prototype for EVERY technological advancement EVER made

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/03/08 at 10:32 pm

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, the season's over after only 9 episodes and FOX might not even renew it!  :P  LAME.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/04/08 at 3:02 pm

They better renew it.  I will be a sad panda if they don't.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/04/08 at 9:10 pm

Yeah, the show's grown on me.  I hope it gets re-upped for at least one more season as a lead-up to the T4 movie.

Although if I were JC, I'd have been sorely tempted during the season finale to (do the obviously crazy thing) just out of sheer curiosity about physics.  Or at least to have asked the guy "So do you (or does Skynet) have any idea what would happen if..."

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/10/08 at 12:03 am

Not to make any enemies but I wonder why they're going over old ground? I'd love to see a series showing where T3 left off with the resistance just starting.

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/08 at 5:33 pm

Not to make any enemies but I wonder why they're going over old ground? I'd love to see a series showing where T3 left off with the resistance just starting.

but the beauty of it is... the resistance that you're talking about is already here because John Connor not only sent back a few resistance fighters to aid in the cause! So really the new resistance that gets started because of the events in T3 is really just the old resistance....or something like that..... I always start to lose my train of thought when talking about time & space continuum.  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...