inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Media drops ball again:anyone know the result of ex-con lottery winner?

Written By: saver on 01/17/08 at 2:27 am

On Nov. 29,2007, the newspapers and tv news channels ran a story of a Massachusetts ex-com-Tomthy Elliott, on how he won $1million from the lottery(which he was ordered not to play),the hearing to determine if he could keep it was to be Dec. 7 2007, YET NO REPORTS ARE POSTED AS TO THE OUTCOME!

That's why I only listen to the news with half an ear, as they won't be running follow ups to all there sensational stories that make you stop what you're doing to hear..I WANT TO KNOW the rest of the event whenever they do it...when they never follow up, I write them off....this includes shows from NPR,and local news stationsI heard this on...I feel unfairness by the media and won't take it.

(Other blogs opened the idea for talk though: Should an ex-con, who was ordered to not as much buy a lottery ticket, DID!

Comments ranged from:  The ticket is valid, give it to someone else, to he did his time what does winning money have to do with probation...

I say the law ordered him NOT to gamble, THAT is gambling ...he should forfeit it. 

Subject: Re: Media drops ball again:anyone know the result of ex-con lottery winner?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/08 at 6:27 pm

The media dropped the ball because they missed another non-story story with which to waste airtime and ink!
::)

I say let Timmy have his million, then he can go down and play on Wall Street with the real criminals of the world!

Subject: Re: Media drops ball again:anyone know the result of ex-con lottery winner?

Written By: saver on 01/17/08 at 8:21 pm

The media dropped the ball because they missed another non-story story with which to waste airtime and ink!
::)

I say let Timmy have his million, then he can go down and play on Wall Street with the real criminals of the world!

Talk of wasted ink...LA has a paper reporter who does a recurring article:'As Britneys World Turns' anytime a story on her escapades takes place... 

Written By: Jessica on 01/19/08 at 12:45 pm

http://www.theksbwchannel.com/news/15085934/detail.html

There you go.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/08 at 1:40 pm

^There is more to that story.  The guy who did this attempted to rob a bank, but it sounds like it he didn't exactly know what he was doing.  He was and is under the watch of the Department of Mental Health, being in need of services.  The money is alloted in increments of 50,000 a year, and he is 40,000 in arrears in child support so his wife and kids will be able to collect on that and future money.  I would say after taxes he will pocket enough to keep him off of the welfare/social security/disablity roles. Giving him that money probably saved the State more than it would have by disallowing it.

Written By: saver on 01/19/08 at 3:38 pm

http://www.theksbwchannel.com/news/15085934/detail.html

There you go.

A GOLD STAR FOR YOU!

That put much speculation to rest...the ruling however makes me think again, how official rules CAN be bent, the ruling was he was not to buy tickets-maybe if someone bought them for him ,he would then still be in the clear.....then you have the arguement with the essay writer in the Hannah Montana contest....SHE has a good arguement to bend rules too as it didn't say if it had to be a true story...but THAT contestant didn't get to keep her prize...

Usually around Christmas, radio stations put out the call to write in about why it won't be a good Christmas for you, then they give you something, so in that case, if you say everyonein your family is dead-they better be...   

Check for new replies or respond here...