inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cloverfield - Worst Movie EVER

Written By: Macphisto on 01/19/08 at 12:24 am

This just in...  Battlefield Earth and Little Man have been deposed by Cloverfield as the 2 Worst Movies Ever Made.  Yes, that's right...  The Widescreen and (soon to be released by a dimensional portal from hell) Fullscreen version have won the top 2 spots of this dubious honor.

The cinematography in this movie is much like a sex tape being filmed on a Ferris Wheel during an earthquake, except this would probably be far more entertaining to watch and less vomit-inducing.

J.J. Abrams & co. never cease to horrify us for all the wrong reasons.  First, there's the horror that someone actually funded this monstrosity, and second, the fact that a market exists for this schlock.  Overall, the film is kind of like Laguna Beach meets Godzilla, which may sound like a hilarious concept, but by the time you're finished impaling your eyeballs with the nearest straws available, it very quickly loses its humor.

On the plus side, the U.S. government has now found a suitable alternative to waterboarding torture.  You can bet that Amnesty International will be fighting this one for quite some time, but I doubt that they'll have the guts to actually watch it all the way through.

But don't take my word for it, Manohla Dargis of the New York Times has this to say, "The film is too dumb to offend anything except your intelligence, and the monster does cut a satisfying swath through the cast, so your only complaint may be, 'What took it so long?'"

Subject: Re: Cloverfield - Worst Movie EVER

Written By: Red Ant on 01/19/08 at 12:39 am

The cinematography in this movie is much like a sex tape being filmed on a Ferris Wheel during an earthquake, except this would probably be far more entertaining to watch and less vomit-inducing.

LMAO!

I came across this clip:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/71733/

a few days ago. Is that in the movie, or a spoof of it?

Ant

Written By: Macphisto on 01/19/08 at 12:45 am

That's a parody...  a good one I might add...  and actually more entertaining than the movie was....

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/08 at 1:34 am

I've heard bad things about Cloverfield, but worst movie ever?  I've not seen it, but I can tell you that no movie in this life time will ever dethrone 'Freddy Got Fingered' as the worst movie ever.  And for those of you that saw 'Freddy Got Fingered', I know you'll agree ;D

I heard Cloverfield is much like Blair Witch in it's film style?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/19/08 at 2:35 am

This just in...  Battlefield Earth and Little Man have been deposed by Cloverfield as the 2 Worst Movies Ever Made.  Yes, that's right...  The Widescreen and (soon to be released by a dimensional portal from hell) Fullscreen version have won the top 2 spots of this dubious honor.

Obviously, you've never seen Madonna: Truth or Dare.

That was the worst movie ever made.  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/08 at 3:05 am

Thanks for the warning, I had been looking forward to seeing it next month.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/19/08 at 4:34 am

Thanks for the warning, I had been looking forward to seeing it next month.
Don't let one person who claims it's the "worst movie ever" sway your opinion on something you were looking forward to. NEVER give someone that much power over your life, especially someone on the internet.

Anyone who claims Cloverfield is the worst movie ever clearly hasn't watched many films, or is just a kid.

Is it the greatest film ever? Of course not. In fact, it has many flaws. Just don't buy into all the hype(or the nay sayers crap) and instead go into it realizing its just a cookie cutter monster flick spewed out of the Hollywood machine. It isn't any worse than most of the other crap Hollywood feeds the masses. If you enjoy any other of the big movies that come out year after year, you'll probably like this as well.

I gave it a 5/10, but thats mainly because of the scenes involving the monster. Those scenes were pretty intense for this type of film, and they did a wonderful job editing this. It teeters on the brink of showing us too much of the monster, thus losing its impact, but at the same time leaves you wanting to see more of it.

The film does suffer from a weak script, and it makes you not really care for these characters involved. Also, some things are just left to the viewers imagination. The shallow characters don't bog down the film as bad as it could have because this film doesn't exist to tell some deep story and it falls short. It exists to mainly show you this monster(just like other monster movies), so if you are mainly interested in seeing a safe cookie cutter popcorn flick and weren't expecting an academy awards sweep, definitely go check it out.
Yeah, its filmed like a documentary, and you get plenty of the 'shaky cam'. A bit of a turnoff, mainly because that technique is getting pretty stale.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/08 at 4:37 am

Yeah, its filmed like a documentary, and you get plenty of the 'shaky cam'. A bit of a turnoff, mainly because that technique is getting pretty stale.
The Bourne Ultimatum had a bit of a shaky camera style.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/19/08 at 4:45 am

The Bourne Ultimatum had a bit of a shaky camera style.
Quite a few films have used it to varying degrees over the years. I'm not a big fan of the technique. I can understand using it for certain scenes, but it shouldn't be the centerpiece of a film.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/19/08 at 11:22 am

Don't let one person who claims it's the "worst movie ever" sway your opinion on something you were looking forward to. NEVER give someone that much power over your life, especially someone on the internet.

Anyone who claims Cloverfield is the worst movie ever clearly hasn't watched many films, or is just a kid.

Trust me, I've seen a lot of films.  I'm 28, btw.

Is it the greatest film ever? Of course not. In fact, it has many flaws. Just don't buy into all the hype(or the nay sayers crap) and instead go into it realizing its just a cookie cutter monster flick spewed out of the Hollywood machine. It isn't any worse than most of the other crap Hollywood feeds the masses. If you enjoy any other of the big movies that come out year after year, you'll probably like this as well.

Every other movie I've seen this year was at least coherent.  This movie wasn't.

I gave it a 5/10, but thats mainly because of the scenes involving the monster. Those scenes were pretty intense for this type of film, and they did a wonderful job editing this. It teeters on the brink of showing us too much of the monster, thus losing its impact, but at the same time leaves you wanting to see more of it.

If by wonderful job, you mean tried to emulate the feeling of a camera attached to someone with Parkinson's disease on speed, then I guess I have to agree.

The film does suffer from a weak script, and it makes you not really care for these characters involved. Also, some things are just left to the viewers imagination. The shallow characters don't bog down the film as bad as it could have because this film doesn't exist to tell some deep story and it falls short. It exists to mainly show you this monster(just like other monster movies), so if you are mainly interested in seeing a safe cookie cutter popcorn flick and weren't expecting an academy awards sweep, definitely go check it out.Yeah, its filmed like a documentary, and you get plenty of the 'shaky cam'. A bit of a turnoff, mainly because that technique is getting pretty stale.

I was left imagining that I hadn't wasted $8.00 and about 2 hours of my life, but the reality is that I still did.

Written By: Jessica on 01/19/08 at 11:45 am

I've heard bad things about Cloverfield, but worst movie ever?  I've not seen it, but I can tell you that no movie in this life time will ever dethrone 'Freddy Got Fingered' as the worst movie ever.  And for those of you that saw 'Freddy Got Fingered', I know you'll agree ;D

I concur. Freddy Got Fingered was an evil piece of crap.

If by wonderful job, you mean tried to emulate the feeling of a camera attached to someone with Parkinson's disease on speed, then I guess I have to agree.

I think I'd find that funnier if my grandfather hadn't died of Parkinson's disease.

As for Cloverfield, I think I'll see it when it comes out on DVD and decide for myself if it sucks or not.

Written By: La Roche on 01/19/08 at 12:03 pm

I went and saw it last night and really enjoyed it.

The camera work actually made me feel ill for a while, it's a bit annoying but you become used to it and get far more of a first person experience of the goings on.
It was so not cliched, there was no happy ending, everything was very brutal, there were some rather interesting surprises and it was overall quite an intense movie.

I have no idea what people are talking about in regard to hardly seeing the monster, the movie isn't so much about the monster as it is the escape and the idea of the monster. The monster could be anything, it just happens to be what it is.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/19/08 at 2:26 pm

Every other movie I've seen this year was at least coherent.  This movie wasn't.
Can you elaborate on how this movie wasn't "coherent"?

It has a very basic plot and pretty much flows from beginning to end. Characters are weak, but that doesn't affect how "coherent" it is.
We get it. You hate the film, to the point of having to use an illness to try and make a joke(which wasn't funny).

Question: If you hated it so much, why did you go watch it? Its not like all that was a mystery. Everyone knew it was gonna be filmed like that. I'm not a fan of that style of filming either, but I knew it was gonna use that when I walked into the theater.
I was left imagining that I hadn't wasted $8.00 and about 2 hours of my life, but the reality is that I still did.
Yet here you are wasting more of your life complaining about that movie you wasted money and time on. Now thats coherent.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/19/08 at 2:46 pm

That would make an excellent Josh Blue skit (though he has CP, not Parkinson's).

Ant

Written By: Macphisto on 01/19/08 at 4:58 pm

Can you elaborate on how this movie wasn't "coherent"?

Can you elaborate on how it was coherent?  We have a film that spent about a half hour chatting about who cheated on who with a plot about as thin as a typical MTV reality show.  Then, we're thrusted into an alien storyline that is an obvious rip off of Godzilla, but still manages to barely resolve anything about this being or beings by the end.  Granted, I admit that this should've been expected from the Lost franchise.

It has a very basic plot and pretty much flows from beginning to end. Characters are weak, but that doesn't affect how "coherent" it is.We get it. You hate the film, to the point of having to use an illness to try and make a joke(which wasn't funny).

I'd say we have very different tastes.  You are apparently a fan of a band that hasn't made a decent album since 1991, but I didn't bother bringing that up until you decided to get all PC on me.

Question: If you hated it so much, why did you go watch it? Its not like all that was a mystery. Everyone knew it was gonna be filmed like that. I'm not a fan of that style of filming either, but I knew it was gonna use that when I walked into the theater.Yet here you are wasting more of your life complaining about that movie you wasted money and time on. Now thats coherent.

If you think this movie was decent, why not defend it?  You haven't said much to its defense.  This is a discussion forum, not one for only people that agree with each other, so let's debate this since you obviously feel differently from me.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/19/08 at 10:51 pm

What in the hell am I supposed to defend? I have already said in several posts it is a very average film. No better or worse than most of the crap Hollywood puts out every year. Hell, in my first post in this thread I said it had many flaws.

The issue in this thread is claiming its the worst movie ever made which it clearly is not. Its not even the worst movie this decade, so how can it be the worst movie of all time?

You probably go around cyberspace claiming this about all the big movies after they are released, so there really is no point in debating anything on this subject.

Hilarious(and pathetic) that you try to bring Guns n Roses into the discussion, which has NOTHING to do with anything being discussed. Also funny how you answer my question about elaborating  how the movie wasn't coherent with basically the same question.

You obviously don't have a leg to stand on and are just saying the film is the worst ever because its the 'trendy' thing to do online now. So continue wasting your life(your words) discussing a movie  you claim to hate.

I'm through with this topic unless someone else has something to say about the film.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/20/08 at 3:01 am

You probably go around cyberspace claiming this about all the big movies after they are released, so there really is no point in debating anything on this subject.

This is actually the only thread I've ever started on hating a movie.  I was unusually inspired.  I did start one on the Coen brothers, but it was more of a dismissal than a true bashing.

Hilarious(and pathetic) that you try to bring Guns n Roses into the discussion, which has NOTHING to do with anything being discussed. Also funny how you answer my question about elaborating  how the movie wasn't coherent with basically the same question.

You obviously don't have a leg to stand on and are just saying the film is the worst ever because its the 'trendy' thing to do online now. So continue wasting your life(your words) discussing a movie  you claim to hate.

If you look closer, I mentioned GNR because it was a demonstration of a difference in tastes.  You thought Cloverfield was average and you like GNR.  I thought it sucked, and while I like GNR, I can't say it's one of my favorite bands.

While I'll agree with you that hating on movies is a trendy thing to do, this is really the first time I've bothered to do it.

I do find it odd that you consider discussing this to be a waste though.  I repeat, you are on a discussion forum.  Isn't that what this section is for?

I'm through with this topic unless someone else has something to say about the film.

Alrighty then... 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/20/08 at 3:55 am

Actually, it has a 76% rating on RottenTomatoes.com.

Can't be that bad.  ::)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/20/08 at 4:27 am

Bill Cosby's "Leonard Part 6" is just unwatchable, and I think deserves the worst movie of all time award
Now we're getting near "worst movie ever" territory. Leonard was a stinker of biblical proportions.

Other contenders.....

Howard the Duck
Weekend at Bernie's 2
Motor Home Massacre
Ernest Scared Stupid
Mannequin 2
I Know Who Killed Me
Battlefield Earth
Jason Goes to Hell
Speed 2
Cheech and Chong's The Corsican Brothers
Another You

many more.....

Cloverfield doesn't even come within a light year of the absurdity of the films listed above.

Best Defence or McBainI haven't watched either of those before.

Its no better or worse than any of the other Hollywood blockbusters. I'm surprised this was released in January because its basically the type of film Hollywood unleashes during the summer. I could easily imagine Cloverfield kicking off a summer blockbuster season.

If it was the worst movie ever, the crowds wouldn't be loving this film. People would be booing when the credits roll instead of cheering.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 4:36 am

Are you trying to talk me out of going to see it?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/20/08 at 4:43 am

Are you trying to talk me out of going to see it?
I am not a frequent user of that site, but a 76 rating there means its getting good reviews.

Its getting pretty good reviews just about everywhere.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 4:51 am

I am not a frequent user of that site, but a 76 rating there means its getting good reviews.

Its getting pretty good reviews just about everywhere.
I will wait for the British Film Critics to start on it.

Written By: Tia on 01/20/08 at 4:55 am

i actually thought it was pretty good. the characters were a bit irritating, particularly Hud ("ron! no, rob! really, rob! we have to get out of here! rob! rob! rob! we have to get out of here, rob!") and the handheld camera thing got a bit relentless after a while -- and i've also seen other people say that it was frustrating that we never learn more about the monster but as someone said before, it was expected that the movie was going to be shot that way and the fact that they dont learn more about the monster is kinda the point. they're just a few kids on the streets of manhattan and all hell's breaking loose, they can't suddenly just cut to some star chamber situation room in the pentagon where the president and the military are all deliberating about what to do next, like they always do in monster movies. and if they had, it would have made the movie routine and people would be complaining that the movie didnt do anything new.

i liked the main relationship between rob and beth, how rob went through all that to try and find her. annddd... really, my main complaint with the movie was the opposite from macphisto's, i thought a lot of the stuff was just too much of a buzzkiller to be fun. people watching their brothers and lovers die right in front of them! it was just so filled with realistically shown pain and suffering without much humor or anything to lift up the mood at all and so it really wound up being a bit grueling for me. i thought something similar about the remake of the "poseidon adventure." where the original was a kitchy fun fakey disaster movie, the second was a protracted, graphic rumination on the horror of drowning and electrocution.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/20/08 at 4:58 am

Actually, I haven't seen Cloverfield, but now I want to because a) Davey said he liked it and I trust his judgment and b) I want to see it just to spite Macphisto.

And the reason I say that is because I don't care how bad Cloverfield may seem, I can pretty much guarantee that it doesn't come close to being nearly as bad as the worst movie I've ever seen.

In a previous post, I said that Madonna: Truth or Dare was the worst movie I'd ever seen. Now, it was one of only two movies that I'd ever actually walked out of a theater on (the other one being that stupid modern day "Romeo and Juliet" with Leonardo DiCaprio), but now that I think about it, it wasn't the absolute worst. That dubious honor goes to a straight-to-DVD movie I recently saw, that a co-worker loaned me, called "Zombies Gone Wild." Out of sheer courtesy of my co-worker, I forced myself to watch "Zombies Gone Wild" all the way through, and it was all I could do not to punch him in the face the next day for talking me in to watching this piece of sh*t. And I actually like my co-worker. But it was that bad.

Calling something "the Worst Movie EVER" is a pretty strong statement. For all the rest of you, stay away from "Zombies Gone Wild." For Macphisto, I dare you to watch it.  ;D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/20/08 at 5:06 am

it was just so filled with realistically shown pain and suffering without much humor or anything to lift up the mood at all and so it really wound up being a bit grueling for me. i thought something similar about the remake of the "poseidon adventure." where the original was a kitchy fun fakey disaster movie, the second was a protracted, graphic rumination on the horror of drowning and electrocution.
I actually applaud the film makers for that approach, as well as other films that have taken that approach in Hollywood recently(The Mist a good example). Hollywood is showing us the current malaise in our culture and our society's obsession with violence and the misfortune of others. Hollywood is usually a good way for society to look at itself in the mirror, and the current crop of films coming out is a good example.

Written By: Tia on 01/20/08 at 5:35 am

I actually applaud the film makers for that approach, as well as other films that have taken that approach in Hollywood recently(The Mist a good example). Hollywood is showing us the current malaise in our culture and our society's obsession with violence and the misfortune of others. Hollywood is usually a good way for society to look at itself in the mirror, and the current crop of films coming out is a good example.
yeah i can see that. one of the things i think is interesting about the movie is how easy it makes it to imagine what it's like to have your environment get totally bombed out and destroyed. people talk a lot about how the movie takes after 9-11 but there were also some shots that to me looked a little like the footage of the "shock and awe" bombings of 2003 in iraq. i was kinda thinking, oh, well, i bet that's what being in iraq that night kinda felt like. but i dont know how many people made that connection. in the attack on iraq they planned it explicitly that way, going after the phones and media lines so that nobody knew what was going on, everyone was trapped in the dark and it was hard to contact your loved ones. so again, to the extent that they tried to make cloverfield look like modern war, it's kinda important to keep your characters in the dark.

that said, just on a visceral level it kinda harshed my mellow. i mean it's better that they did it that way rather than go too far in the other direction and have this ridiculous movie like the 1998 "godzilla" with all these cheesy attempts at humor.

http://idothings.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/scary-monster.jpg

grr!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 5:58 am

yeah i can see that. one of the things i think is interesting about the movie is how easy it makes it to imagine what it's like to have your environment get totally bombed out and destroyed. people talk a lot about how the movie takes after 9-11 but there were also some shots that to me looked a little like the footage of the "shock and awe" bombings of 2003 in iraq. i was kinda thinking, oh, well, i bet that's what being in iraq that night kinda felt like. but i dont know how many people made that connection. in the attack on iraq they planned it explicitly that way, going after the phones and media lines so that nobody knew what was going on, everyone was trapped in the dark and it was hard to contact your loved ones. so again, to the extent that they tried to make cloverfield look like modern war, it's kinda important to keep your characters in the dark.

that said, just on a visceral level it kinda harshed my mellow. i mean it's better that they did it that way rather than go too far in the other direction and have this ridiculous movie like the 1998 "godzilla" with all these cheesy attempts at humor.

http://idothings.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/scary-monster.jpg

grr!
...or

http://xenafan.com/movies/ghostbusters/crowd.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 01/20/08 at 9:02 am

Actually, I haven't seen Cloverfield, but now I want to because a) Davey said he liked it and I trust his judgment and b) I want to see it just to spite Macphisto.

Yeah dude, you'll dig it I think.

There's some pretty awesome stuff that gets blown up and there's some other good scenes.. and there's actually a storyline. Let me put my intelligent hat on here so I can properly answer Mike.

i actually thought it was pretty good. the characters were a bit irritating, particularly Hud ("ron! no, rob! really, rob! we have to get out of here! rob! rob! rob! we have to get out of here, rob!") and the handheld camera thing got a bit relentless after a while -- and i've also seen other people say that it was frustrating that we never learn more about the monster but as someone said before, it was expected that the movie was going to be shot that way and the fact that they dont learn more about the monster is kinda the point. they're just a few kids on the streets of manhattan and all hell's breaking loose, they can't suddenly just cut to some star chamber situation room in the pentagon where the president and the military are all deliberating about what to do next, like they always do in monster movies. and if they had, it would have made the movie routine and people would be complaining that the movie didnt do anything new.

i liked the main relationship between rob and beth, how rob went through all that to try and find her. annddd... really, my main complaint with the movie was the opposite from macphisto's, i thought a lot of the stuff was just too much of a buzzkiller to be fun. people watching their brothers and lovers die right in front of them! it was just so filled with realistically shown pain and suffering without much humor or anything to lift up the mood at all and so it really wound up being a bit grueling for me. i thought something similar about the remake of the "poseidon adventure." where the original was a kitchy fun fakey disaster movie, the second was a protracted, graphic rumination on the horror of drowning and electrocution.

Hud basically was the comic relief in the film, whether it was supposed to be intentional or not he was able to occasionally alleviate the sense of misery and despair by being so utterly clueless.
I honestly stopped noticing the camera for a while, every 15 or so minutes something would remind me, like they'd start running fast or fall over and I'd realize, apart from that it was Ok. Except for some reason when they got on the roof, I felt ill with how they did the angles and I hardly even noticed the slope.  ???
You hit upon the key point I was making earlier, in most of these movies everyone survives and there's a happy ending - Nuh uh!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/08 at 4:31 pm

Madonna: Shanghai Surprise
Madonna: Who's that Girl
And she had the worst photography book ever printed: "Sex." 

I heard Cloverfield was supposed to be a 9/11 allegory or some sh*t.  The problem is the "dumb" factor is ubiquitous.  When Cloverfield shows up on TBS/USA/TCM, I doubt I'll notice anything unusually lame as a channel-surf past it!

Written By: saver on 01/20/08 at 9:20 pm

J.J. Abrams & co. never cease to horrify us for all the wrong reasons.  First, there's the horror that someone actually funded this monstrosity, and second, the fact that a market exists for this schlock.  Overall, the film is kind of like Laguna Beach meets Godzilla, which may sound like a hilarious concept, but by the time you're finished impaling your eyeballs with the nearest straws available, it very quickly loses its humor.

On the plus side, the U.S. government has now found a suitable alternative to waterboarding torture.  You can bet that Amnesty International will be fighting this one for quite some time, but I doubt that they'll have the guts to actually watch it all the way through.

But don't take my word for it, Manohla Dargis of the New York Times has this to say, "The film is too dumb to offend anything except your intelligence, and the monster does cut a satisfying swath through the cast, so your only complaint may be, 'What took it so long?'"

And YET...it is this weeks' #1 and any January opening #1in history!

Go Figure....????Maybe the little kids with no taste for good work helped support it with their Christmas gift money...

Written By: KKay on 01/20/08 at 9:26 pm

And YET...it is this weeks' #1 and any January opening #1!

Go Figure....????Maybe the little kids witrh no taste for good work helped support it with their Christmas gift money...

exactly. just because a ton of people go to se something has nothing to do with quallity.
this is, afterall, the american movie-going public- a mixed bag, but still average in taste.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 9:05 am

Horror film Cloverfield goes straight to the top of the North American box office, with takings of $41m (£21m).

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 9:17 am

Horror film Cloverfield goes straight to the top of the North American box office, with takings of $41m (£21m).
apparently it only cost $30 mil so it broke even in one week. be ready for a cloverfield II: cloverfield vs. predator. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 9:22 am

apparently it only cost $30 mil so it broke even in one week. be ready for a cloverfield II: cloverfield vs. predator. ::)
Is the ending of the film open for a sequel?

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 9:26 am

Is the ending of the film open for a sequel?
revealing that amounts to a spoiler but... no not really, but i'm sure they could do it anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 9:28 am

revealing that amounts to a spoiler but... no not really, but i'm sure they could do it anyway.
Some films can keep good respect if it remains as a single venture.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 9:30 am

Some films can keep good respect if it remains as a single venture.
but if they make that much money a sequel may just be inevitable. it may end up like blair witch 2, which was so prespammersite lo these years later it's basically like it doesn't exist. i just dont think cloverfield is repeatable. but if they made a sequel that was more like a regular monster movie i actually think that could be fun.

Written By: La Roche on 01/21/08 at 9:47 am

Yeah they could dude, different camera. Sure it's contrived, but still, you do it from the military perspective and find out what's actually going on.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 9:54 am

Yeah they could dude, different camera. Sure it's contrived, but still, you do it from the military perspective and find out what's actually going on.
oo, like a soldier's helmet headsup display thingy. yeah, that could work.

tell you the truth, though, i'd rather they just ditch the handheld camera gag for any sequel and just do a plain old monster movie, just dont play it so much for laughs as make it a big kickass sci fi aliens starship troopers type action movie.

Written By: La Roche on 01/21/08 at 9:55 am

oo, like a soldier's helmet headsup display thingy. yeah, that could work.

tell you the truth, though, i'd rather they just ditch the handheld camera gag for any sequel and just do a plain old monster movie, just dont play it so much for laughs as make it a big kickass sci fi aliens starship troopers type action movie.

But that's so passe dude.

I say, shoot it from the perspective of whoever documents these things for the military, because you can be sure somebody does. and actually find out about the monster. What did it look like to you, some big ass squid or something?

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 10:00 am

But that's so passe dude.

I say, shoot it from the perspective of whoever documents these things for the military, because you can be sure somebody does. and actually find out about the monster. What did it look like to you, some big ass squid or something?
it was like... a squid crossed with some kind of unshelled crab or something.

i know it's passe but another word for that is "tried and true." i think they should try and do both, some segments that are conventional and others that are through a helmet cam... you could come up with some kind of conceit for that, like a colonel who's watching all the action on one of those consoles like they had in "aliens" and you'd intercut that with one of the soldiers in the field.

Written By: La Roche on 01/21/08 at 10:28 am

it was like... a squid crossed with some kind of unshelled crab or something.

i know it's passe but another word for that is "tried and true." i think they should try and do both, some segments that are conventional and others that are through a helmet cam... you could come up with some kind of conceit for that, like a colonel who's watching all the action on one of those consoles like they had in "aliens" and you'd intercut that with one of the soldiers in the field.

That's a fair point. I don't know dude, I think when you get a new interesting concept it's a bad idea to mess with it, especially when the reception is (for the most part) very positive.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 10:44 am

That's a fair point. I don't know dude, I think when you get a new interesting concept it's a bad idea to mess with it, especially when the reception is (for the most part) very positive.
true but with sequels you always have to up the ante too. that's the paradox. it's easy with a movie like die hard, you just kill more people. but with this it's got the weird big scale monsters vs. little scale cameras so you can't just pile on more monsters cuz you'll still be looking at them through a little camera. you sorta have to add more monsters AND more cameras.

Written By: La Roche on 01/21/08 at 10:47 am

true but with sequels you always have to up the ante too. that's the paradox. it's easy with a movie like die hard, you just kill more people. but with this it's got the weird big scale monsters vs. little scale cameras so you can't just pile on more monsters cuz you'll still be looking at them through a little camera. you sorta have to add more monsters AND more cameras.

I do understand what you're saying, it's a thin line to tread. On the one hand, you've got a cute little idea with the handheld, it's provides that first person perspective and add's the element of.. well, travel as it were, with the bouncing and the falling. At the same time, you could quite easily provide a first person perspective but allow for the more impressive angles that such a sequel would demand.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/21/08 at 7:04 pm

exactly. just because a ton of people go to se something has nothing to do with quallity.
this is, afterall, the american movie-going public- a mixed bag, but still average in taste.

Yep, this sums it up.

Oh, and when you leave the theater feeling cheated, don't say I didn't warn you, AL-B.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 7:24 pm

dude, dont listen, it rocks, you will be rocked. drink a pot of coffee and a 12-pack before you go, you'll be set. 24-karat movie gold.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/21/08 at 9:17 pm

This is kind of like that back and forth you see in old cartoons where there's a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other...  We'll see which is which...  8)

Written By: La Roche on 01/21/08 at 10:23 pm

dude, dont listen, it rocks, you will be rocked. drink a pot of coffee and a 12-pack before you go, you'll be set. 24-karat movie gold.

F**kin A brother.

Written By: Tia on 01/22/08 at 6:44 am

This is kind of like that back and forth you see in old cartoons where there's a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other...  We'll see which is which...  8)
Al-B's sittin there right now like, "i hate it when mommy and daddy fight." :D

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/22/08 at 12:30 pm

Are you kidding me?  First of all, that was a Documentary.  Second of all, it was fookin awesome!!! Long live the queen!!!

Written By: Dukefan on 01/22/08 at 6:19 pm

I thought it was entertaining enough.  I didn't know it was possible to be that much of a self-absorbed bitch.

Written By: Tia on 01/23/08 at 9:05 am

this just in: american moviemaking public composed disproportionately of panty-waisted little wussies.

http://www.koco.com/news/15112533/detail.html

Warnings Posted After Hit Horror Flick Leaves Some Nauseous

POSTED: 1:35 pm CST January 22, 2008
UPDATED: 1:54 pm CST January 22, 2008
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Scary movies are supposed to leave patrons feeling a bit scared and jittery, but the newest horror flick is leaving Oklahoma City-area moviegoers with a different feeling -- nausea.

Quail Springs and Crossroads mall movie theaters have posted this warning regarding the film, "Cloverfield:"

Due to the filming method used for "Cloverfield," guests viewing this film may experience side effects associated with motion sickness, similar to riding a rollercoaster.

Written By: Jessica on 01/23/08 at 9:23 am

this just in: american moviemaking public composed disproportionately of panty-waisted little wussies.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Scary movies are supposed to leave patrons feeling a bit scared and jittery, but the newest horror flick is leaving Oklahoma City-area moviegoers with a different feeling -- nausea.

Quail Springs and Crossroads mall movie theaters have posted this warning regarding the film, "Cloverfield:"

Due to the filming method used for "Cloverfield," guests viewing this film may experience side effects associated with motion sickness, similar to riding a rollercoaster.

Awww, you beat me to posting this. :D

Written By: Macphisto on 01/24/08 at 11:11 pm

Nah, I'd say it points more to being allergic to bad filmmaking.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/08 at 7:24 pm

I saw this today. The handcamera effect was really annoying and it gave me a major headache,i kept waiting for the jerk to loose the camera and had the monster perspective for the rest of the movie,but no dice :(
The thing i liked the most was that it did felt kind of real,no big revelation about where the monster came from or what it was,just people running for their lives and...my friend was saying how stupid it was that they went looking for Beth,but in real life when sheesh happens doesn't everyone want to be with who they love?
The scariest part for me was when the military decided to bomb the island 'cause that was really freaking close to the real world.

Check for new replies or respond here...