inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Twixters

Written By: 1993 on 01/22/08 at 9:25 pm

Interesting article about an emerging phenomenon.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050124/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twixter

opinions?

Subject: Re: Twixters

Written By: Davester on 01/23/08 at 5:12 am

Some people don't grow up, because they don't have to.  You can rebel against what you feel is wrong in the world or you can rebel because you can afford to (or rather you're afforded to)...

I believe that with the massive gains in freedom, civil rights, and a more-or-less open society (to a level we have never seen before) people are able to make choices they would never have been able to make in the past.  The strict order of high school, college, work, marrage, children, blah-blah simply doesn't need to be followed anymore if you don't wanna... :P

Written By: midnite_ on 01/23/08 at 9:29 pm

This is interesting. I have never heard the term "Twixter" but have seen the phenomenon.  I am not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion.  But anyways, i have several friends who lived at home until their mid to late twenties.  My personal opinion (which isn't worth much) is that there are several reasons for this.

First, they are the spoiled kids of baby boomers.  Alot of baby boomers try to give their kids all the stuff that they didnt have growing up.  Therefore they spoil their children (even through their twenties).

Second, I live in the northeastern United States where real estate is extremely expensive.  It is difficult for one person to buy a home on one income.  Especially a single person in their twenties who has not climbed the corporate ladder.

I am sure there are other reasons.

Written By: Davester on 01/24/08 at 2:18 am

Second, I live in the northeastern United States where real estate is extremely expensive.  It is difficult for one person to buy a home on one income.  Especially a single person in their twenties who has not climbed the corporate ladder.

I am sure there are other reasons.

Good point...

The jobs that pay well can't afford (or won't afford) to hire people, full-time, who will expect good benefits. So the "high-paying" tech jobs are being outsourced to temps.  Lower pay, less benefits, and harder to repay that high-tech schooling...

Plus a problem at the opposite end of the career spectrum - older workers are finding it harder to retire. They lack the funds or do not look forward to doing nothing for the rest of their long lives.  So they stick around longer and no one gets promoted thereby opening up entry-level positions...

Check for new replies or respond here...