inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Non-Drivers

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/23/08 at 8:39 pm

My sister turns 21 this weekend so that means she's able to help me get my License. (I'm the oldest one in the family, but since I have autism I got put back in a few things.)

And for awhile, I boycotted driving and got a State I.D., but who here never learned to drive or tried more than 7 times to get their License?

Subject: Re: Non-Drivers

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/23/08 at 11:19 pm

I'd go crazy if I couldn't drive. I have been driving since I was 17...but I do know people who didn't get their license until they were in their 20's...it is all about personal preference.

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/08 at 11:32 pm

I only got my G1 license in 2003 and my G2 in 2007.  By 2009 (at most) I should have my full G

For those who don't know (Ontario Drivers License) ...

G1 - must have a full G class license (fully licensed for atleast 4 years) in the car at all times, and no more than that 1 person.  After 1 year, driver is eligible to take ...

G2 - Must maintain a blood alcohol content of zero.  After one year, driver is eligible to take ...

G - Full license that carries no restrictions (assuming you obey the law while you drive) and no further tests required until you reach 80 years of age

Written By: Brian06 on 01/24/08 at 12:57 am

I got mine in March 2005, I was 17 almost 18. Though I had my temporary for almost 2 years because I just was lazy to go take the test. The "test" in Ohio is pretty ridiculously easy, if you can't pass it eventually then you definitely shouldn't be anywhere near the road.  :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/24/08 at 8:08 am

I got mine in March 2005, I was 17 almost 18. Though I had my temporary for almost 2 years because I just was lazy to go take the test. The "test" in Ohio is pretty ridiculously easy, if you can't pass it eventually then you definitely shouldn't be anywhere near the road.  :D

But why does it seem so hard for me? (Besides being Autistic?)

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/08 at 10:43 am

You're probably like me. I tense up when I have to take tests. I had to take the California written test four or five times before I got my permit. Then I let it lapse and had to retake it twice. My first actual driving test I failed because I hit a curb while parallel parking. I got so discouraged that I gave up. Finally in 2006 (I was 26), I got my driver's license in Indiana. I guess by then I was like, "whatever" and just went on with it. I even passed the driving test while driving a car with a manual transmission, which is a miracle in itself because I'm EXTREMELY uncomfortable shifting gears. :P

Don't give up. If you want it badly enough, you'll get it.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/24/08 at 2:33 pm

You're probably like me. I tense up when I have to take tests. I had to take the California written test four or five times before I got my permit. Then I let it lapse and had to retake it twice. My first actual driving test I failed because I hit a curb while parallel parking. I got so discouraged that I gave up. Finally in 2006 (I was 26), I got my driver's license in Indiana. I guess by then I was like, "whatever" and just went on with it. I even passed the driving test while driving a car with a manual transmission, which is a miracle in itself because I'm EXTREMELY uncomfortable shifting gears. :P

Don't give up. If you want it badly enough, you'll get it.

I just hope it doesn't lapse again.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/24/08 at 3:27 pm

Well, I'm one myself. Even though I've gotten used to being independent in other ways by walking, taking the bus, getting rides from other people (it helps living in a big metropolitan area) I know it really sucks to not have that independence to go anywhere you want, anytime you want. Then again, there's positives to everything, because it also means less chance of getting in an accident, and not having to pay insurance every month, etc.

I DID pass the written test the second time I took it back in 1999, but the reason I couldn't get approved for the road part and get a licence is because I have crappy peripheral vision. Especially on my left eye (which has always been a bit lazy, maybe from being born 3 months premature), so I ended up getting like 20/60 vision on the test. When you think about it, it's pretty ironic and even stupid that I failed when you consider there's tons of legally licenced drivers on the road with FAR worse eyesight than me (and more dangerous too lol).

It's a little different in every state, but I know some of the questions are trickier than others. I'm sure just about everyone is bound to fail a few of them. ;D

Written By: La Roche on 01/24/08 at 3:30 pm

Sorry to tell you, but when I become King of everything, you wont be able to get a license.

It's always been my opinion that if somebody couldn't be bothered to get their license by the time they were 25, then they wouldn't get one ever, clearly they weren't interested enough to learn, tough luck there. Sorry, just my opinion.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/24/08 at 3:45 pm

^ My uncle in Canada didn't get his license until he was in his 30s, because he immigrated from Hong Kong where the public transit is very good and it doesn't really make sense to own a car.  He sucks at driving, but he did get his license on his first try so that goes to show you how low the standards are for getting a license :D

Cool guy though, just can't drive worth a snot :)

Written By: Brian06 on 01/24/08 at 4:45 pm

Well to be fair I failed the thing with the cones the first time because I tensed up and brushed up against one of the cones backing up, but the next time I took it and focused and passed 100%. It's not hard with a little focus.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/08 at 5:03 pm

It took me a long time to get my license-not because of anything I did but because no one would teach me how to drive. I took Driver's Ed in school and the guy didn't teach me anything. My parents wouldn't teach me either. Finally my first husband taught me (but with a lot of yelling and screaming involved  ::) ). I FINALLY got my license at the age of 23. But, now I find myself a non-driver again because of my vision. I still have my license but haven't driven a car in about 7 years or maybe longer. People don't want me out on the road. I am legally blind.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/08 at 7:56 pm

I got mine when I was 20. I didn't take to it well at first.  I quit driver ed. I was nervous to start with, and it didn't help that the instructor looked like he was on a rollercoaster ride.  Later I taught myself.  Slammed my dad's Jeep into a stone wall while doing it!  I was a queasy when I went for my road test (in said Jeep since repared), but I passed with flying colors.  I didn't know how to parallel park, but since I took my test in Tamworth, NH, there was nothing to parallel park against!
;D

Written By: Midas on 01/25/08 at 3:31 pm

My grandmother didn't get her license until my grandfather passed away.  She was around 73 years old at the time.  She didn't take long trips, just to church and to the store/salon (less than 15 minutes away).  I think the furthest she drove was to my aunt's house, about 30 minutes from her place.  I don't think she drives much now if at all (she's 85).

Check for new replies or respond here...