inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When channels lose their identities

Written By: Echo Nomad on 01/23/08 at 11:50 pm

When channels lose their identities

Subject: Re: When channels lose their identities

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/08 at 1:13 am

that's how I feel about TV Land...they used to boast that they took the color out of TV and only showed the B&W classic shows...now its all color shows and they've added shows like Just Shoot Me.

Also Nick-at-Nite should change their name to FPoBA...because they show Fresh Prince marathons 90% of the time... the problem is both networks used to show stuff you couldn't find anywhere now they show things that can also be found on TBS, The N, Oxygen, Lifetime and TV ONE.

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/08 at 1:18 am

Here's one ...

I saw 'The Fugitive' starring Harrison Ford on The History Channel.  A movie based on an old TV show might be history in some way, but not like what people who watch The History Channel think History is.  I can see them showing films like 'Saving Private Ryan' or 'Platoon'.  That's History

Written By: Davester on 01/24/08 at 6:45 am

I feel your pain about the History Channel, Dog.  As to the historiocity of it's programming, e-e-e-h...I wouldn't use any of it as a basis for a term paper.  But what programming like that, and flicks like Gladiator, does is pique your interest and inspires you to gain a better understanding of the subject.  That's where it's value lies...

Think of it this way, guys, if it pushes the ratings up, it's good for the economy and we all know that in capitalism the cause is more important than what it serves.  Thus, it's bad for the economy if the networks don't start killing-off reality show contestants, and soon...

Written By: danootaandme on 01/24/08 at 6:58 am

Some of this has to do with the stations being bought and sold or "consolidated".  There used to be independent stations that were able to stay on and compete, but we are very quickly moving towards total control of the media by large corporate interests.  It sux.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/24/08 at 9:17 am

TSSSYEAH, LIKE, UM, MTV...  ::)

Written By: woops on 01/24/08 at 3:07 pm

VH1, clone of MTV & E! (though E! was never a good channel)

Disney Channel, more like a second rate Nickelodeon

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/24/08 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, like how VH1 turned from being a lite/more old-school MTV into reality tv lite. Even though they started moving away from their roots around 1997ish, it didn't completely abandon music until maybe 2003 and now it's pretty much all Flava of Love and II Love New York. ;D

I think they do this because there's less and less of an audience for a channel devoted to a single thing. Plus, if people do want that, they include it in specialized cable packages. You have to also consider that television isn't the only medium anymore, lots of people collect shows on DVD or watch music videos on YouTube, etc.

Written By: fusefan on 01/24/08 at 6:24 pm

Here's one ...

I saw 'The Fugitive' starring Harrison Ford on The History Channel.  A movie based on an old TV show might be history in some way, but not like what people who watch The History Channel think History is.  I can see them showing films like 'Saving Private Ryan' or 'Platoon'.  That's History

I know what you mean there. I'm tired of all of these "How the world is going to end" prophecy shows THC has been having lately. I miss when they used to show stuff like "The Fifties".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/08 at 6:54 pm

Here's one ...

You beat me to it! Dirty Harry and Forrest Gump are historical figures! Pretty soon you'll tune into a documentary about paleolithic man and it will be a Flintstones rerun!

A staple of HC's program is now shows about doomsday scenarios (global warming, comets destroying the planet, human beings disappearing from the face of the Earth).  Erm, I thought "history" was like, about stuff that has already happened!
:D

Written By: Davester on 01/25/08 at 2:36 am

You beat me to it! Dirty Harry and Forrest Gump are historical figures! Pretty soon you'll tune into a documentary about paleolithic man and it will be a Flintstones rerun!

A staple of HC's program is now shows about doomsday scenarios (global warming, comets destroying the planet, human beings disappearing from the face of the Earth).  Erm, I thought "history" was like, about stuff that has already happened!
:D

Don't forget Haunted History.  Actually, forget about that one...

I love, love, love HC's "Universe" series, but dang, yanno..? 

Written By: Marian on 01/25/08 at 1:08 pm

When channels lose their identities

Am I the only one who hates it when a TV channel loses it’s uniqueness in trying to ompete with another type of programing? AMC, which used to be old B&W classic movies, now is trying to be a cheap Showtime. Headline News was great in that I could watch an entire newscast at anytime 24 hours a days. Now it’s being chopped up by news talk programming in an attempt to be a second rate CNN, Fox News or even MSNBC. Court TV (now TruTV) is no longer about court trials but is now competing with Fox Reality. Meanwhile G4, a gaming channel, completely wiped out Tech-TV, a useful channel dedicated to the technology and computing. I’m sure I’m missing more so what other channels can you think of that have suffered the same fate? 

I liked it better when AMC had old movies,like before i was born

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/08 at 3:48 pm

I'll go with the Big Three Kid's Networks!...

Disney Channel-They totally lost it when they got rid of the old-school Disney Shows which I will never see again. I hope they put Walt Disney Presents on DVD as soon as possible. It should be called The Tween Channel since the only people who watch that station is between 8-14. Toon Disney is the same as well.

Cartoon Network-This station lost all of the old-school shows as well. No Looney Tunes, no Tom and Jerry, and no H-B Shows. All that's left is the cartoons that aren't that great and live-action shows. Adult Swim is still there and so is Boomerang, but Boomerang is going down as well.

Nickelodeon-The First Kids Network should be called The Viacom-Owned Network or The Spongebob Network. There's no other show that's not owned by Viacom on that station. The V of Doom still reigns!

Check for new replies or respond here...