inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Kids On The Block Reuniting?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 8:30 am

OMG....as cheesy as it sounds...this is STILL a dream come true for me! Hahaha...this totally brings me back to my younger years, and even though they will never be popular like they once were...this would be great for old time's sake. :)

http://omg.yahoo.com/report:-new-kids-on-the-block-reuniting/news/6009

Get ready boys and girls -- the "Kids" are making a comeback.

The New Kids On The Block are getting back together, according to a report in People.

A source tells People the group will make the announcement in the next few weeks.

The boy band -- made up of Jordan Knight, Donnie Wahlberg, Joey McIntyre, Danny Wood and Jonathan Knight -- were a worldwide phenomenon in the early '90s, selling more than 50 million albums worldwide before calling it quits in 1994.
With such songs as "Hangin' Tough," "Step By Step" and "You Got It (The Right Stuff)," made tweens across the globe swoon.

Of course, more than a decade later, these "Kids" are all grown up.

Donnie, now 38, has dabbled in acting, landing roles in "The Sixth Sense," "Saw II," "Saw IV" and the TV series "Boomtown."

Danny, also 38, released a solo album and worked as a producer with Donnie on a Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch album, fronted by Donnie's younger brother-turned-Oscar nominee Mark Wahlberg.

Jonathan, who turns 40 later this month, is now a real estate developer on the East Coast.

Jordan, the group's lead singer, achieved some success as a solo singer after the group disbanded. He also appeared on the third season of VH1's "The Surreal Life" in 2004 and also appeared in the 2007 spinoff "The Surreal Life: Fame Games," before leaving the show for personal reasons.

Subject: Re: New Kids On The Block Reuniting?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 8:43 am

"OH NO!"

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/08 at 8:56 am

I was doing a dance of excitement when I read this.

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL*

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 9:01 am

Will it be Old Kids On The Block now?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 9:01 am

I was doing a dance of excitement when I read this.

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL*

Me too!!!!! w00t!!! ;D :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 9:03 am

Will they be singing "This One's For The Grand-Children"?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 9:10 am

Oh what the heck....let's bring back some New Kids memories: :D

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/874/693pxnkotbaq3.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8026/164935newkidslcv8.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7952/506519356x237kr9.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1853/newkidsontheblockthisonfe6.jpg

Wow..Joe McIntyre is all grown up now..he looks so different...yet he still has those gorgeous baby blue eyes! I'll Be Loving HIM Forever! ;D :D

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5184/joey20mcintyreun3.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 9:11 am

My son used to like their songs.

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/08 at 11:40 am

It's apparently not true. That makes me sad.

This is a part of a bulletin that Danny Wood sent out on his MySpace:

Hello to everyone. Hope all is well and everyone is enjoying the New Year. I wanted to address the rumors of the NKOTB Reunion Tour. There has been no talk of this and you are getting it from source directly.

:\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 12:02 pm

Hello to everyone. Hope all is well and everyone is enjoying the New Year. I wanted to address the rumors of the NKOTB Reunion Tour. There has been no talk of this and you are getting it from source directly.

ah man...that sucks so bad. Why can't they just do it...I mean, it's not like they are doing anything else spectacular. :-\\ :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 12:04 pm

Oh what a let down!

The Spice Girls have made £10m each from their reunion, the boy from NKOTB may not have realised this yet.

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/08 at 12:06 pm

ah man...that sucks so bad. Why can't they just do it...I mean, it's not like they are doing anything else spectacular. :-\\ :(

Yeah, and you know they'd be guaranteed a big crowd. There are a lot of closet NKOTB fans around. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 12:08 pm

Yeah, and you know they'd be guaranteed a big crowd. There are a lot of closet NKOTB fans around. :D
Led Zepp and the Police have reunited and have done well for themselves.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/28/08 at 12:51 pm

My sister loves NKOTB.

They were the ones who influenced The Backstreet Boys and N*Sync.

Written By: NewWaveAddict on 01/28/08 at 1:15 pm

How sad. Funny thing is, the Backstreet Boys are almost as old now! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 1:16 pm

How sad. Funny thing is, the Backstreet Boys are almost as old now! ;D
Old Men On The Block

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 3:05 pm

This will actually be good I think.  Probably not a big success, but New Kids on the Block were the original boy band that spawned the likes of Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, Westlife, etc ...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 3:42 pm

This will actually be good I think.  Probably not a big success, but New Kids on the Block were the original boy band that spawned the likes of Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, Westlife, etc ...
How about bringing back the boy band but with new younger singers?

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 3:52 pm

How about bringing back the boy band but with new younger singers?

That would be a better idea yes.  Fresh talent on the music scene.  I actually liked alot of the boy bands in the 90s.  I loved 911s version of 'A Little Bit More'

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 3:53 pm

That would be a better idea yes.  Fresh talent on the music scene.  I actually liked alot of the boy bands in the 90s.  I loved 911s version of 'A Little Bit More'
...can be down on an American Idol type of programme?

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 3:57 pm

...can be down on an American Idol type of programme?

Pop Idol, more like it.  All the best boy bands come from the UK.  For every good American Boy Band, there were maybe 5 British ones that were better

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 3:59 pm

...all the best boy bands come from the UK. 
The best of the boy bands have came from the Republic of Ireland, i.e. Boyzone, Westlife.

Written By: Max Power on 01/28/08 at 4:02 pm

Will they be singing "This One's For The Grand-Children"?

Tracks:

" Hanging Low "

" Shooting Bruce Willis "

" Planet of the Apes ( remix ) "

" An Heroes "

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/28/08 at 4:40 pm

No offense, but with the way everyone is talking about it, this thread erases all doubt in my mind that 1989 or '90 is old old OLD!  :\'(  :\'( :\'(

To me that's the biggest tragedy of all. Sorry, but I'm not ready to let it slip into oldness without a fight. I hate seeing it being talked about the way in which Vietnam, The Beatles, Watergate and all that Baby Boomer stuff was probably looked at back then. Logically I know it wasn't yesterday, but it still feels very CLOSE in the grand scheme of things. I have crystal clear memories of then, even if I was a young kid.

Yet despite all my protests, and as much as I might try and emphasize the similarities (instead of the differences) to the present, I guess I can't deny the inevitable. My childhood is becoming a mere footnote of history. In 1999, the late '80s might've had a "semi recentness" in terms of being firmly in people's memories...but not anymore. That's enough to shock you more than the biggest electrical jolt and it'll wake you up faster than the strongest cup of coffee.

10 years is pretty recent, but when you get to that magical line of 20 years, nothing is ever the same. That's when a generation gap becomes more like "your parents time" than your own or your older siblings/cousins.

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 4:47 pm

New Kids on the Block released their first album 22 years ago.  Can they really be called "New Kids on the Block" anymore?  Maybe "Old Men on their Rocking Chairs"

:D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/28/08 at 4:50 pm

You're not helping Jason. :(

How about you get ME a rocking chair, that's how I feel now. This is my generation we're talking about like it's something super old. And to think I felt weird when the early and mid '80s started getting older and feeling like a different era when I started high school? Well that's a Spring shower and absolutely nothing compared to this. I'd give anything to have 1989 be only 8 years ago.

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 4:54 pm

You're not helping Jason. :(

How about you get ME a rocking chair, that's how I feel now. This is my generation.

You are still in your mid-20s.  The members of New Kids on the Block are nearing their 40s.  They aren't new kids, and they aren't old men, but they are too old to be in a band called New Kids

Written By: Paul on 01/28/08 at 4:58 pm

The members of New Kids on the Block are nearing their 40s.  They aren't new kids, and they aren't old men, but they are too old to be in a band called New Kids

The Beach Boys (or what's left of 'em) seem to do okay out of it!  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/28/08 at 5:04 pm

Once you hit about 21 or 22 your true real youth is over anyway, so that doesn't matter either. Sure, relative to life my generation is still very young (I think that lasts up till your mid-late 30s), but it's useless to pretend we're as young as I've been used to us being.

In other words, we're very old-school, whether I like it or not. I can fight it kicking and screaming all I want, but it won't stop us from being dragged into the same "oldness" stage which the Baby Boomers and Generation X are further into.

When things you grew up with start becoming a footnote of history - where you have to, like remind people and go "Whoa, hey remember them!" or "I used to that back in the day" - that's when you know it's a completely new era. In the '90s everyone still remembered the '80s (including kids) even if some things were a little cheesy, so it had a young and modern feeling that it now lacks.

When teenyboppers of 1989 are now the age to be "the establishment"....just shoot me now please.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/28/08 at 6:21 pm

I'm 29.  My life's just beginning.

If you're feeling old and you aren't even MY age, you need a major attitude shift and start looking for something to actually look forward to instead of always living in the past.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/08 at 6:25 pm

I'm 29.  My life's just beginning.

If you're feeling old and you aren't even MY age, you need a major attitude shift and start looking for something to actually look forward to instead of always living in the past.

What he said.

I am going to be 37 in a month and I'm not old.  Age is just a number, man. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/28/08 at 6:26 pm

What he said.

You're 37?  :o  When'd THAT happen?  I thunk you wuz 25 :D :D

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/08 at 6:27 pm

What he said.

You are? What the hell? :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/28/08 at 6:28 pm

BTW, thank goodness the NKOTB aren't touring, now I don't have to take Jess ;D

J/k.

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/08 at 6:30 pm

BTW, thank goodness the NKOTB aren't touring, now I don't have to take Jess ;D

J/k.

Hey!

Written By: Bree on 01/28/08 at 6:44 pm

Old Men On The Block

Some of the members of Backstreet Boys & N' Sync are about the same age as the youngest members of the New Kids

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/28/08 at 7:33 pm

Just to add a final bit--

I apologize if I offended anyone, because when I say "old" I don't mean it literally of course. I know logically that me and my generation are still pretty darned young, that's WHY it makes me feel old. The average New Kids fan is 30, not 60...yet when I hear it being discussed like it's some totally long time ago from another era, that's discomforting.

Believe me, in real terms people are still fairly young up until about 40, and I've often argued that point myself when I'd hear someone who was upset about their age. When it comes to OTHER PEOPLE I tend to view things much more liberally than I do for my own self, though. Because I'm experiencing these ages and the real loss of my childhood years for the FIRST time. And that is scary.

It can really shell shock you when something from your own personal life and memories becomes old and retro, as opposed to "just a little while ago" (i.e. the way the Eighties were during the '90s). It makes you suddenly reevaluate things, because your mind has been almost equipped naturally, to only look at it this one way all through life. When that starts changing, it's just flat out weird.

So yes we're still young, we're just "old school" too.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/08 at 8:05 pm

You're 37?  :o  When'd THAT happen?  I thunk you wuz 25 :D :D

You are? What the hell? :o

What?  You guys gonna disown me now that you know I am old? ;D

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/08 at 9:16 pm

What?  You guys gonna disown me now that you know I am old? ;D

;D

Should I get your rocking chair? :D

I just didn't realize you were going to be 37. I always think of us at the ages we were when we all first started talking on here. That, and you definitely don't look or act your age. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 9:21 pm

What started out as a New Kids on the Block thread has turned into a debate about aging.  What the hell? ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/08 at 9:38 pm

;D

Should I get your rocking chair? :D

I just didn't realize you were going to be 37. I always think of us at the ages we were when we all first started talking on here. That, and you definitely don't look or act your age. ;)

Thanks.  I try hard not to act my age. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 10:05 pm

None of you all have anything to worry about...you are ALL young. Gosh, even someone who is 60 can be young...it's all in how you feel, ya know? I agree that it is good to be able to reminisce and think of the past times as monumental steps in one's life...but it's true, it is not good to let yourself get so engrossed in it that you become obsessed with living in the past. I have been slightly guilty of this kind of behavior...and honestly, it doesn't do any good. My new goal...live for the present...remember the past and always love it...but be able to move on and make something of my FUTURE.

anyway...getting back on topic...

I'm really pissed that they aren't going to reunite...it would have been very cool. 8)

Written By: Doc on 01/28/08 at 10:14 pm

Jennifer Parker: Dr. Brown, I brought this note back from the future and now it's erased.
Doc: Of course it's erased.
Jennifer Parker: But what does that mean?
Doc: It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you.
Marty McFly: We will, Doc.

DadaDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAdaaaaaaaaaaa-duh-duh-da-da-duh-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Written By: holicman on 01/29/08 at 6:15 am

Im not looking forward to this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 9:40 am

Take That have only proved how beneficial it is to reform, records, concerts etc!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/08 at 12:40 pm

the Back Street Boys attempted a comeback, maybe 2 years ago & ticket sales were feeble to the point they started offering buy 2, get 2 free. It was kinda sad  :(  the thing with groups like these is their fans were pre-teens, Jr. high school girls & high schoolers & that original base still holds some loyalty, & would like to see them  but most have grown up & probably don't listen to their music anymore as opposed to other groups that won the hearts of their young fans & those fans continue to listen to them on a regular basis, 40 years later. Of course this is my own opinion, based on years of NO research. ;D  by the way, I'm doing some research now & wonder when's the last time someone here listened to a NKOTB cd?

Written By: gemini on 01/29/08 at 6:16 pm

Don't give up so fast! It still might be true. Here is a snippet of what E News had to say.
"The band's official Website, www.nkotb.com, is, after a long period of dormancy, once again up and running and imploring fans to keep hanging tough for a forthcoming announcement."
My oldest daughter is excited like you and Erin. I took her and a friend to see them way back when, and it would be fun to go with her to see them again. So, you never know, Rice may be taking you too! I'm sure he's thrilled!  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 01/29/08 at 6:18 pm

the Back Street Boys attempted a comeback, maybe 2 years ago & ticket sales were feeble to the point they started offering buy 2, get 2 free. It was kinda sad  :(   the thing with groups like these is their fans were pre-teens, Jr. high school girls & high schoolers & that original base still holds some loyalty, & would like to see them  but most have grown up & probably don't listen to their music anymore as opposed to other groups that won the hearts of their young fans & those fans continue to listen to them on a regular basis, 40 years later. Of course this is my own opinion, based on years of NO research. ;D  by the way, I'm doing some research now & wonder when's the last time someone here listened to a NKOTB cd?

I have their greatest hits cd on my iPod. :D

Don't give up so fast! It still might be true. Here is a snippet of what E News had to say.
"The band's official Website, www.nkotb.com, is, after a long period of dormancy, once again up and running and imploring fans to keep hanging tough for a forthcoming announcement."
My oldest daughter is excited like you and Erin. I took her and a friend to see them way back when, and it would be fun to go with her to see them again. So, you never know, Rice may be taking you too! I'm sure he's thrilled!  ;D

Wheee! If they do it after we have money, I'll take Erin to see them. Rice can stay home. ;D

Written By: gemini on 01/29/08 at 6:22 pm

Wheee! If they do it after we have money, I'll take Erin to see them. Rice can stay home. ;D

Sounds like a plan. Shauna is sitting here telling me how she's gonna make a shirt and wear buttons and she's cracking me up!  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/08 at 8:09 pm

I applaud your loyalty Jess, maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge.  ::)
I bet you can even do that little dance jig they do on the song Right Stuff. you can do it, can't you.  actually, it's a cool little move  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/dance.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/08 at 8:39 pm

I dunno if the name still applies. 

New 37-year-olds on the Block doesn't have much of a ring.
:-\\

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/08 at 9:21 pm

Take That have only proved how beneficial it is to reform, records, concerts etc!

Take That's reunion was very well recieved, almost everywhere except the U.S.

Written By: Jessica on 01/29/08 at 9:41 pm

I applaud your loyalty Jess, maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge.   ::)
I bet you can even do that little dance jig they do on the song Right Stuff. you can do it, can't you.  actually, it's a cool little move  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/dance.gif

Some of their songs are pretty darned catchy. :D I don't think I can do the moves though. My fat wasn't meant to shake that way. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/08 at 10:11 pm

Some of their songs are pretty darned catchy. :D I don't think I can do the moves though. My fat wasn't meant to shake that way. ;D

OMG...girl, seriously, by the looks of their website (www.nkotb.com)....SOMETHING is about to happen soon! I think Danny might just be hush hush for now (trying not to let too much info leak). On the website...there is even a song playing in the background, that is obviously a new song...sounds good, btw.

Oh...and WHEN they do tour....we should SO go together..that would be SO fun! I STILL have all of my buttons/shirts/trading cards/etc/etc too!!! :) We can rock them out...NEW KIDS STYLE!!! ;D :D :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/08 at 10:13 pm

OMG OMG!!! And, on the website you can watch some old videos and stuff...I am so excited..I can hardly contain myself.

Oh, and BTW Mike...I just listened to their CD the other day...AND, I have their songs on my MP3 player. Loyal fan, I am. ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/08 at 10:34 pm

OMG OMG!!! And, on the website you can watch some old videos and stuff...I am so excited..I can hardly contain myself.

Oh, and BTW Mike...I just listened to their CD the other day...AND, I have their songs on my MP3 player. Loyal fan, I am. ;)
you seem a little enthusiastic Erin  ::)    So here's yet another loyal fan of that huge boy band.  so someone did listen to one of their CD's recently.  well heck, that just shot my theory down  ;D  although I did add disclaimer that I had zero research to support my posts.
I hope it happens & you girls get to go together and have a blast.  8)

;D  you are too funny.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/08 at 10:35 pm

you seem a little enthusiastic Erin  ::)    So here's yet another loyal fan of that huge boy band.  so someone did listen to one of their CD's recently.  well heck, that just shot my theory down  ;D  although I did add disclaimer that I had zero research to support my posts.
I hope it happens & you girls get to go together and have a blast.  8)

;D  you are too funny.

I'm currently listening, as we speak. :) ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/08 at 10:46 pm

I'm currently listening, as we speak. :) ;D
I would probably enjoy if I gave half a chance

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/08 at 10:47 pm

I would probably enjoy if I gave half a chance

yes, indeedy. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/08 at 10:47 pm

yes, indeedy. :)
no chance tonight though. I'm not in the mood

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/30/08 at 2:41 am

the Back Street Boys attempted a comeback, maybe 2 years ago & ticket sales were feeble to the point they started offering buy 2, get 2 free. It was kinda sad  :(   the thing with groups like these is their fans were pre-teens, Jr. high school girls & high schoolers & that original base still holds some loyalty, & would like to see them  but most have grown up & probably don't listen to their music anymore as opposed to other groups that won the hearts of their young fans & those fans continue to listen to them on a regular basis, 40 years later. Of course this is my own opinion, based on years of NO research. ;D  by the way, I'm doing some research now & wonder when's the last time someone here listened to a NKOTB cd?

When "Incomplete" bombed (relatively speaking, compared to their other stuff) in 2005 I think that was a sign that the Backstreet Boys (and the late '90s in general) were getting dated and past their prime.

As for fanbases "growing up" that's true to a point, although it depends on the person. Just personally I still like the same music I did growing up in the '80s and early-mid '90s, I've just added more to it along the way. I've heard those songs fifty million times and I still love them.

P.S. I wouldn't be so quick to say that people haven't listened to New Kids since their 1990ish peak.

Like I said, I was never a major fan, but they have a couple fluffy catchy songs that I've listened to since then. Just because something was popular in a given year doesn't mean that's the only time people listen to it. Too many people forget that you can become exposed to things "after the fact" - from reruns, the radio, or just by being around other people who are fans - like going through your friend or your parents' collection.

Written By: Midas on 01/30/08 at 3:39 pm

I'm doing some research now & wonder when's the last time someone here listened to a NKOTB cd?

I dropped the 12" version of "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" and a remix of "Cover Girl" last week for my girlfriend just messing around in the studio.    :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/08 at 10:56 pm

I dropped the 12" version of "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" and a remix of "Cover Girl" last week for my girlfriend just messing around in the studio.    :D

awww...isn't that sooo sweet!! :) ;) ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/30/08 at 11:26 pm

ok, ok  I get the point  ;D    it is cool that you got it on Vinyl  8)

When "Incomplete" bombed (relatively speaking, compared to their other stuff) in 2005 I think that was a sign that the Backstreet Boys (and the late '90s in general) were getting dated and past their prime.

As for fanbases "growing up" that's true to a point, although it depends on the person. Just personally I still like the same music I did growing up in the '80s and early-mid '90s, I've just added more to it along the way. I've heard those songs fifty million times and I still love them.

P.S. I wouldn't be so quick to say that people haven't listened to New Kids since their 1990ish peak.

Like I said, I was never a major fan, but they have a couple fluffy catchy songs that I've listened to since then. Just because something was popular in a given year doesn't mean that's the only time people listen to it. Too many people forget that you can become exposed to things "after the fact" - from reruns, the radio, or just by being around other people who are fans - like going through your friend or your parents' collection.
well Jess, I can't just give you one of my usual one word posts in reply.  :) I do like early BSB, & N'SYNC too, but just the big early hits. My daughter has a couple of their CDs. I never gave NKOTB much of a chance, but I think their videos were played a lot on MTV. As for fanbases growing up, I'm probably saying that from observing my daughter & her friends with the music they used to listen to. They don't seem to be into that music anymore, but then again, they may still listen to those boy bands & pop stars & I just don't know it. One thing about these groups is that they seemed to be good dancers (except kevin of BSB)  & had fun choreography. You make a valid point about people becoming fans after the fact which applies to tv & movies as well as music. I remember when Seinfeld came out & all my friends were raving & I wasn't interested & then about 2 years after it had been on, I watched & became a fan.  I do try to get Julie to listen to classic rock on the radio or on CDs when we go on vacation or if one of my songs comes on the radio & my daughter doesn't ask me to change it, I'm happy to see her listen to dad's music. So based on what I'm reading on this thread, there are still a few die hard fans of New Kids On The Block.  I think at least 3 of the lads have kids, maybe New Dads On The Block?  nah  8-P

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/31/08 at 12:23 am

ok, ok  I get the point  ;D    it is cool that you got it on Vinyl  8)
well Jess, I can't just give you one of my usual one word posts in reply.  :) I do like early BSB, & N'SYNC too, but just the big early hits. My daughter has a couple of their CDs. I never gave NKOTB much of a chance, but I think their videos were played a lot on MTV. As for fanbases growing up, I'm probably saying that from observing my daughter & her friends with the music they used to listen to. They don't seem to be into that music anymore, but then again, they may still listen to those boy bands & pop stars & I just don't know it. One thing about these groups is that they seemed to be good dancers (except kevin of BSB)  & had fun choreography. You make a valid point about people becoming fans after the fact which applies to tv & movies as well as music. I remember when Seinfeld came out & all my friends were raving & I wasn't interested & then about 2 years after it had been on, I watched & became a fan.  I do try to get Julie to listen to classic rock on the radio or on CDs when we go on vacation or if one of my songs comes on the radio & my daughter doesn't ask me to change it, I'm happy to see her listen to dad's music. So based on what I'm reading on this thread, there are still a few die hard fans of New Kids On The Block.   I think at least 3 of the lads have kids, maybe New Dads On The Block?  nah  8-P

Good point Mike, yeah people can get burned out on anything. I guess when you get REALLY into something so hardcore, that's bound to happen eventually lol. You might've said so but I forget, is Julie like 17ish now? I can see why she'd be a little like "ewww I listened to that?" in reference to something from when she was 10. Most kids probably grow out of things, I guess I just never much did because my tastes developed so early.

I think I got exposed to it three or four different ways.

My mom especially was a really big music listener back then, and often had the radio on and bought tapes. I think that's one reason I sorta always attached myself to songs from like 1981 to '85 or so. I'm too young to recall that as it actually happened, but I always heard that growing up, so it was always "a part of me" if you know what I mean. ;)

This was mostly poppy stuff...Huey Lewis, Prince, Tears For Fears, Lionel Richie, Phil Collins, Jackson Browne, Whitney, "Jump" by Van Halen, Hall and Oates, The Cars, Tom Petty and like that.

Now, the older stuff I got into more from my dad - like Motown, certain classic rock and other stuff from the '50s and '60s. Although he likes quite a few '80s songs too (usually the softer or more old-school ones...like "Walk of Life").

I also would just kinda hear things playing out in public, or when I was a little older I heard what my babysitters listened to. When I was 9, I got really hooked on VH1 too. Of course now my main way of discovering things is from the Internet or word of mouth. I'll basically give anything a chance, even if I'm mainly an easygoing pop/rock guy. Ballads are great too.

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/08 at 12:51 am

'Cover Girl' and 'Tonight', two songs I am not embarrased to say that I love.  I like their other songs, but not as much

Written By: Tam on 01/31/08 at 12:55 am

Do I feel old right now??!!

I will admit that I am actually excited and hope for their return.
My sister was more into them than I was back in the day - however.... I LOVED JON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I think I need to go pull out the cassettes and give 'em a listen, possibly look for the cd's at Rennassiance Music... hubby is going to puke if he hears me playing them! I will even practice my "Right Stuff" dance, see if I can still hold it down!! Hahaha!

I am a geezer!! ;D ;D

My favs are: Popsicle, Step by Step, I wanna be loved by you and Call it what you want!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/31/08 at 12:57 am

Good point Mike, yeah people can get burned out on anything. I guess when you get REALLY into something so hardcore, that's bound to happen eventually lol. You might've said so but I forget, is Julie like 17ish now? I can see why she'd be a little like "ewww I listened to that?" in reference to something from when she was 10. Most kids probably grow out of things, I guess I just never much did because my tastes developed so early.

I think I got exposed to it three or four different ways.

My mom especially was a really big music listener back then, and often had the radio on and bought tapes. I think that's one reason I sorta always attached myself to songs from like 1981 to '85 or so. I'm too young to recall that as it actually happened, but I always heard that growing up, so it was always "a part of me" if you know what I mean. ;)

This was mostly poppy stuff...Huey Lewis, Prince, Tears For Fears, Lionel Richie, Phil Collins, Jackson Browne, Whitney, "Jump" by Van Halen, Hall and Oates, The Cars, Tom Petty and like that.

Now, the older stuff I got into more from my dad - like Motown, certain classic rock and other stuff from the '50s and '60s. Although he likes quite a few '80s songs too (usually the softer or more old-school ones...like "Walk of Life").

I also would just kinda hear things playing out in public, or when I was a little older I heard what my babysitters listened to. When I was 9, I got really hooked on VH1 too. Of course now my main way of discovering things is from the Internet or word of mouth. I'll basically give anything a chance, even if I'm mainly an easygoing pop/rock guy. Ballads are great too.
Julie is 18, going on 19 but i have a feeling every now and then, her and her girlfriends break out some of the old stuff Christina Aguilar, Britney, BSB, NSYNC, she's got a ton of CDs from mid 90's on

that music you heard when you were very young 1981-1985ish  Huey Lewis, Prince, Tears For Fears, Lionel Richie, Phil Collins, Jackson Browne, Whitney, "Jump" by Van Halen, Hall and Oates, The Cars, Tom Petty was very important music for me and Diane as we were dating and engaged and her and I and all our friends were going to their concerts and listening to albums and cassettes all the time.
I don't give everything a chance, it's just something about me, i don't like change or new music or tv shows, but once in awhile I let the walls down and try something new or at least some music I could have listened to years earlier but didn't and when i finally do, I find out I love it. That's how I was with the Black Crowes.

'Cover Girl' and 'Tonight', two songs I am not embarrased to say that I love.  I like their other songs, but not as much
all right Jason. way to not be ashamed and make a declaration of your enjoyment of NKOTB

I think that's what I'm also seeing here is that people aren't ashamed to admit they like the NKOTB.  it's like Revenge Of The Nerds at the end of the movie, once one person came forward and admitted they were a nerd, many many more followed and said they were too.  all you NKOTB fans need to come forward. this is your chance  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/08 at 1:07 am

I think that's what I'm also seeing here is that people aren't ashamed to admit they like the NKOTB.  it's like Revenge Of The Nerds at the end of the movie, once one person came forward and admitted they were a nerd, many many more followed and said they were too.  all you NKOTB fans need to come forward. this is your chance  ;D

To quite Philip Eno, I listen to "whatever is pleasant to the ear" ;D
If the music is catchy, it wouldn't really matter if the singer was a two headed alien with tentacles :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/31/08 at 1:14 am

To quite Philip Eno, I listen to "whatever is pleasant to the ear" ;D
If the music is catchy, it wouldn't really matter if the singer was a two headed alien with tentacles :D
that was very Eno'esque 

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/08 at 1:22 am

that was very Eno'esque 

Suddenly I feel like having a spot of tea while I listen to Enya 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/31/08 at 1:31 am

Suddenly I feel like having a spot of tea while I listen to Enya 8)
if you are a true loyal Eno disciple, then you are already are doing that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/31/08 at 7:41 am

Do I feel old right now??!!

I will admit that I am actually excited and hope for their return.
My sister was more into them than I was back in the day - however.... I LOVED JON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I think I need to go pull out the cassettes and give 'em a listen, possibly look for the cd's at Rennassiance Music... hubby is going to puke if he hears me playing them! I will even practice my "Right Stuff" dance, see if I can still hold it down!! Hahaha!

I am a geezer!! ;D ;D

My favs are: Popsicle, Step by Step, I wanna be loved by you and Call it what you want!!!

you go girl...get your NKOTB groove on!!! :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/31/08 at 11:36 am

Julie is 18, going on 19 but i have a feeling every now and then, her and her girlfriends break out some of the old stuff Christina Aguilar, Britney, BSB, NSYNC, she's got a ton of CDs from mid 90's on

that music you heard when you were very young 1981-1985ish  Huey Lewis, Prince, Tears For Fears, Lionel Richie, Phil Collins, Jackson Browne, Whitney, "Jump" by Van Halen, Hall and Oates, The Cars, Tom Petty was very important music for me and Diane as we were dating and engaged and her and I and all our friends were going to their concerts and listening to albums and cassettes all the time.
I don't give everything a chance, it's just something about me, i don't like change or new music or tv shows, but once in awhile I let the walls down and try something new or at least some music I could have listened to years earlier but didn't and when i finally do, I find out I love it. That's how I was with the Black Crowes.
all right Jason. way to not be ashamed and make a declaration of your enjoyment of NKOTB

Yeah that makes sense, her first little kid memories are probably from the early-mid '90s, just like mine were from the mid-late '80s. So it would make sense for her music taste to start around there. You said she likes a few bursts of classic rock though too, right? That's how it worked with me, just being around some of the older stuff my dad played (i.e. Motown songs, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Peter Paul and Mary, The Doors) kinda made it rub off on me too.

Even though I'm open-minded, I think I started getting a little resistant to change once I was in high school in the late '90s. By then, my tastes were just already set in stone and I was comfortable. I do like new stuff too, although it tends to be stuff that reminds me a bit of what I grew up with.

Actually that's true, isn't it? I guess more people feel the pressure come off of them to admit something about themselves, if someone else admits it first! For the record, I'm a geek in every non-discriminating sense of the word, and proud of it too. ;D

Written By: tv on 01/31/08 at 6:05 pm

I'm really not into New Kids On The Block but I did like "Give It To You" by NKOTB member Jordan Kinight back in 1999. I still like "Give It To You". I did like Joey McIntyre's hit song "Stay The Same" in 1999 too. "Stay The Same" didn;t sound like NKOTB at all it was more of a A/C ballad.

As for New Kids On the Block coming back there is really not a market for R&B groups or boy bands like there were in the 80's and 90's.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/31/08 at 8:12 pm

I liked a couple of NKOTB songs ("Please Don't Go Girl" and "You Got It (The Right Stuff)") but I wasn't a fanatic like a lot of my friends and peers were between 1988 and 1990.

I remember going to Spencer's at the mall during NKOTB's peak, and they had NKOTB merchandise (t-shirts, buttons, keychains, etc...) practically all over the store. 

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/08 at 11:06 am

"Well I guess it's a brand new day after all.  Everytime we hear the curtain call.  See the girls with the curls in their hair.  The buttons and the pins and the loud fanfare"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/08 at 11:33 am

"Well I guess it's a brand new day after all.  Everytime we hear the curtain call.  See the girls with the curls in their hair.  The buttons and the pins and the loud fanfare"

TONIGHT!!!! TONIGHT!!! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/08 at 10:55 pm

TONIGHT!!!! TONIGHT!!! ;D

I love the horns that come in after those lyrics.  It totally makes the song.  I'm proud to say that 'Tonight' is one of my all-time favourite songs of the 90s, if not all time 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/08 at 11:55 pm

I love the horns that come in after those lyrics.  It totally makes the song.  I'm proud to say that 'Tonight' is one of my all-time favourite songs of the 90s, if not all time 8)

it's a great song, with an equally great video. :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/08 at 11:57 pm

it's a great song, with an equally great video. :)

I always laugh at the beginning of the video where Joe says to Donnie "This is kinda crazy, yo" ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/08 at 11:59 pm

I always laugh at the beginning of the video where Joe says to Donnie "This is kinda crazy, yo" ;D

OMG..that's right, I almost forgot about that!! ;D  I love how it is in black & white...and how they perform in that old abandoned theatre.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/02/08 at 12:02 am

OMG...girl, seriously, by the looks of their website (www.nkotb.com)....SOMETHING is about to happen soon! I think Danny might just be hush hush for now (trying not to let too much info leak). On the website...there is even a song playing in the background, that is obviously a new song...sounds good, btw.

Oh...and WHEN they do tour....we should SO go together..that would be SO fun! I STILL have all of my buttons/shirts/trading cards/etc/etc too!!! :) We can rock them out...NEW KIDS STYLE!!! ;D :D :D
do you have this button Erin?  and look how young they are. my gosh, they were only kids.  :o 

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020sfB6RH70IBn02jzbkF/SIG=1307jt3oi/EXP=1202018463/**http%3A//www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/celebrity/images/Rock/newkids-group.JPG

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/08 at 12:03 am

OMG..that's right, I almost forgot about that!! ;D  I love how it is in black & white...and how they perform in that old abandoned theatre.

One of the main reasons why I also like the video .. "Black and White" music videos are my all-time favourite

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/08 at 6:14 am

do you have this button Erin?  and look how young they are. my gosh, they were only kids.  :o 

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020sfB6RH70IBn02jzbkF/SIG=1307jt3oi/EXP=1202018463/**http%3A//www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/celebrity/images/Rock/newkids-group.JPG

yes, I think I actually do. :)

Written By: woops on 02/02/08 at 7:33 pm

I'm really not into New Kids On The Block but I did like "Give It To You" by NKOTB member Jordan Kinight back in 1999. I still like "Give It To You". I did like Joey McIntyre's hit song "Stay The Same" in 1999 too. "Stay The Same" didn;t sound like NKOTB at all it was more of a A/C ballad.

As for New Kids On the Block coming back there is really not a market for R&B groups or boy bands like there were in the 80's and 90's.

Jordan Knight had a moderate hit in 2006 with "Say Goodbye", a duet with the underrated pop singer/songwriter Deborah Gibson that only got little airplay and peaked at #24 in the AC charts.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/08 at 8:17 pm

Jordan Knight had a moderate hit in 2006 with "Say Goodbye", a duet with the underrated pop singer/songwriter Deborah Gibson that only got little airplay and peaked at #24 in the AC charts.

I actually like that song...I bought his album mainly for that song, and his cover of the song, Drive.

Written By: woops on 02/03/08 at 4:11 pm

I also like the song, though posted a few threads...but ended up getting trashed by immature/rude comments and wannabe music critics >:( :P

The only song I can tolerate is "You Got It (The Right Stuff)", though I prefer New Edition better.  8)

I vaugely remember the cartoon. ::)

Written By: gemini on 02/09/08 at 6:39 pm

My daughter signed up for email updates on the NKOTB website and she got an email telling her the site had been updated. Now they are showing videos of news broadcasts telling of their reunion.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/08 at 8:24 pm

My daughter signed up for email updates on the NKOTB website and she got an email telling her the site had been updated. Now they are showing videos of news broadcasts telling of their reunion.

YAY!!! I just got the email too....it looks very very promising! :)

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/08 at 7:13 am

The single 'Summertime' debuted at #17 in Canada :o

I guess NKOTB are back

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 7:14 am

The single 'Summertime' debuted at #17 in Canada :o

I guess NKOTB are back
With the likelihood of higher positions for the next weeks?

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/08 at 7:19 am

With the likelihood of higher positions for the next weeks?

Since it debuted in the Top 20, I predict it will drop from there.  It's quite rare over here for a song to debut that high

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 7:22 am

Since it debuted in the Top 20, I predict it will drop from there.  It's quite rare over here for a song to debut that high
The same formula for the UK Charts, but to reach #17 is still an achievement.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/08 at 7:25 am

The same formula for the UK Charts, but to reach #17 is still an achievement.

It is yes.  For a group that's been out of the spotlight for over 14 years, they've done very well

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/22/08 at 8:36 am

As much as I love NKOTB...I'm kind of NOT digging their new song too much. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 5:38 pm

As much as I love NKOTB...I'm kind of NOT digging their new song too much. :-\\
I have still yet to hear it, should I make the effort?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/22/08 at 10:50 pm

I have still yet to hear it, should I make the effort?

it's up to you. It's not horrible...but it's not great either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/08 at 2:49 am

it's up to you. It's not horrible...but it's not great either.
An inbetween record, I may have heard it but not knowing it was the record concern.

Check for new replies or respond here...