inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Banned Beatles get Israel invite

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 2:27 pm

Israel is inviting the surviving members of The Beatles to celebrate the country's anniversary, 43 years after it banned the group.

The Israeli ambassador to London, Ron Prosor, has met John Lennon's sister, Julia Baird, in Liverpool.

He has invited Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and relatives of Lennon and George Harrison to come to Israel in May for the 60th anniversary.

Israel banned the Beatles in 1965, fearing they would corrupt young fans.

But Mr Prosor - who is in Liverpool after marking Holocaust Memorial Day there - is a big fan of the Beatles and would like them to be part of the planned birthday celebrations.

"I would be very happy to have them come on Israel's 60th anniversary," he said.

"Lots of music lovers in Israel, both young and young-at-heart - and that means me - are really waiting for them."

Full report on BBC News Online

Subject: Re: Banned Beatles get Israel invite

Written By: Paul on 01/29/08 at 2:37 pm

Does it mean Israelis can now hear that timeless classic 'You've got to hide your love Oy-Vey'?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 2:40 pm

Does it mean Israelis can now hear that timeless classic 'You've got to hide your love Oy-Vey'?
...or Barak in the USSR?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/08 at 8:47 pm

...or Barak in the USSR?

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

Israelis certainly liked the Beatles.  There were even cover bands.  The kids from Hillel House at UMass used to play Beatles songs sung in Hebrew!

:D

I'm sorry, Western-style pop songs don't fare well in Semitic languages.  It's like using a calliope on a heavy metal record...some things just aren't meant for each other!
:-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...