inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: working in movies and/or TV...Desire?Luck? or both?

Written By: saver on 02/01/08 at 8:21 pm

After the various threads of 'where are they now??' actors, and some talent that we want to see again but they are not even considered anymore for roles, this question stands out:

why are some flash-in-the pan actors still on shows and others who we remember from their early starts nowhere involved?

I recall a movie FOXES with Scott Baio/Jodie Foster but also about 4 other 'girls in the group' with Jodie, yet Jodie remains in the work and I hear one of the other girls became a nurse...and who knows where the others wound up,also Noah Hathaway(great talent) from NeverEnding Story-not doing the 2nd one he took off,got sleeve tattooed, and not heard from -maybe doing conventions, and even the kids on EERIE, INDIANA..most are not involved in anything off the top of ones head.

Did these people just try to ring the bell once and got their wish and went off elsewhere?

They may be surprised how much we like their work?

Recently read about Brad Renfro resorting to living with roommates(saving his bucks? or child support-yet a major name) and making a comment about only doing 'artsy' movies...so if people liked him so much, why didn't he get mainstream offers?

I now watch someone as if theywon't be seen again because of the ones I liked dropping out of the scene...

Subject: Re: working in movies and/or TV...Desire?Luck? or both?

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/08 at 10:53 pm

After the various threads of 'where are they now??' actors, and some talent that we want to see again but they are not even considered anymore for roles, this question stands out:

why are some flash-in-the pan actors still on shows and others who we remember from their early starts nowhere involved?

I recall a movie FOXES with Scott Baio/Jodie Foster but also about 4 other 'girls in the group' with Jodie, yet Jodie remains in the work and I hear one of the other girls became a nurse...and who knows where the others wound up,also Noah Hathaway(great talent) from NeverEnding Story-not doing the 2nd one he took off,got sleeve tattooed, and not heard from -maybe doing conventions, and even the kids on EERIE, INDIANA..most are not involved in anything off the top of ones head.

Did these people just try to ring the bell once and got their wish and went off elsewhere?

They may be surprised how much we like their work?

Recently read about Brad Renfro resorting to living with roommates(saving his bucks? or child support-yet a major name) and making a comment about only doing 'artsy' movies...so if people liked him so much, why didn't he get mainstream offers?

I now watch someone as if theywon't be seen again because of the ones I liked dropping out of the scene...

great topic.... I think it's more luck than anything... I mean once the actor gets noticed they have the potential to be the next best thing. Look at Dakota Fanning and Abigail Breslin. There are a ton of kid actors out there but by hollywood standards you'd think these were the only two.

I think once you've proven you can do it - they are afraid to take a look at a fresh face and just go with what has proven successful for them.

Its weird that way because think of all the good actors who never get their shot because we're stuck with the success story of the moment.

Subject: Re: working in movies and/or TV...Desire?Luck? or both?

Written By: saver on 02/02/08 at 11:21 pm

great topic.... I think it's more luck than anything... I mean once the actor gets noticed they have the potential to be the next best thing. Look at Dakota Fanning and Abigail Breslin. There are a ton of kid actors out there but by hollywood standards you'd think these were the only two.

I think once you've proven you can do it - they are afraid to take a look at a fresh face and just go with what has proven successful for them.

Its weird that way because think of all the good actors who never get their shot because we're stuck with the success story of the moment.

Wonder if they bring that up in acting schools or if it's too discouraging?

John Travolta had luck reviving his career, and Jason Bateman talks about Arrested Developement bringing him back to the forefront.

Yet we don't see the other 3 sweathogs or Silver Spoons cast beside Alfonso and Ricky.
The former child stars website has a partial list of where they are now- from drug busts to helping the community...but what a long list.

Check for new replies or respond here...