inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has 'LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN' jumped the shark?

Written By: saver on 02/07/08 at 1:44 am

Recent ratings story says that The 'TONIGHT SHOW' w/Jay Leno did better so far in the ratings than Dave AND THIS IS DURING A WRITERS STRIKE!!!

Should they get a better product for that slot? Did it seem it jumped, or even earlier when they stopped the weirdness with Larry Bud having to use his real name since  ???the NBC move? ???

Subject: Re: Has 'LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN' jumped the shark?

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/08 at 2:09 am

Either way, both shows will still pull in good numbers.  Dave's been on the air since 1982 through 2 networks, so someone is and will always be watching :)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/08 at 4:56 am

Leno has  consistently higher ratings against LettermanLetterman gets praise from the critics, Leno gets the ratings.

Written By: Jessica on 02/07/08 at 9:37 am

Leno has  consistently higher ratings against LettermanLetterman gets praise from the critics, Leno gets the ratings.

I never could stomach Leno. He's just.....not funny.

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/07/08 at 11:50 am

I never could stomach Letterman. He's just.....not funny. Aside from the occasional Top Ten.
The only one worse is O'Brien, he's such a jack@$$ with the filthy, suggestive jokes, that he'll never deserve to host The Tonight Show. >:(
I certainly hope Jay is still allowed to renew his contract, because Conan couldn't possibly hope to fill Jay Leno's shoes, let alone Carson's!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/08 at 11:54 am

I never could stomach Letterman. He's just.....not funny. Aside from the occasional Top Ten.
The only one worse is O'Brien, he's such a jack@$$ with the filthy, suggestive jokes, that he'll never deserve to host The Tonight Show. >:(
I certainly hope Jay is still allowed to renew his contract, because Conan couldn't possibly hope to fill Jay Leno's shoes, let alone Carson's!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Leno can renew his contract, but he's already agreed to retire.  NBC didn't want to lose Conan, so Jay picked him to be the host

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/07/08 at 5:22 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

oh man, Conan is hilarious! IMO, he puts both of them to shame!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/08 at 7:10 pm

Yes, in 1994.

I was an avid Letterman-watcher in the '80s.  He was just funnier when he was the late show underdog. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/08 at 9:33 pm

I never could stomach Leno. He's just.....not funny.

Conan > all!

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/08/08 at 1:44 am

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Conan wrote for both SNL and wrote and produced episodes of the Simpsons. The man is more talented than both Letterman and Leno put together!
I should hope we finally have someone who can actually be intelligent enough to be a host of the Tonight Show and be funny too.

I don't find Conan filthy or disgusting, neither does his audience (and I'm 40). You'll have to own up that the audience of late night shows is different and younger than it was before. Standards of humor are different, and the subject matter is going to be different too.

But I don't think he'd keep the same tone for the Tonight Show as he would for his show anyway, the network brass will have him tone it down at bit, but only just a bit. So I wouldn't really think suggestive subject matter would really be a concern.

Leno, other than being a car guy/gearhead like me (he does have an AWESOME car collection, I'll admit), I never thought Leno was really funny, amusing, yes, but not really funny.

No one is saying Conan has to fill Carson's shoes, just be up to his standard, and a high standard at that (and you HAVE to admit, plenty of Johnny's jokes and monologues were VERY suggestive and adult, so I don't understand the issue with Conan).

Conan has the talent, creativity and moxie that no one TV show host, late night or otherwise, has had in the last 20 years. Period.
More power to him. 8)

Letterman had his reign in the mid/late 80's-early 90's, I watched him regularly in college when I should of been in bed or studying, and he was fun and funny.  He had a good run, but his time has past.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/08/08 at 8:24 am

Conan wrote for both SNL and wrote and produced episodes of the Simpsons. The man is more talented than both Letterman and Leno put together!
I should hope we finally have someone who can actually be intelligent enough to be a host of the Tonight Show and be funny too.

I don't find Conan filthy or disgusting, neither does his audience (and I'm 40). You'll have to own up that the audience of late night shows is different and younger than it was before. Standards of humor are different, and the subject matter is going to be different too.

But I don't think he'd keep the same tone for the Tonight Show as he would for his show anyway, the network brass will have him tone it down at bit, but only just a bit. So I wouldn't really think suggestive subject matter would really be a concern.

Leno, other than being a car guy/gearhead like me (he does have an AWESOME car collection, I'll admit), I never thought Leno was really funny, amusing, yes, but not really funny.

No one is saying Conan has to fill Carson's shoes, just be up to his standard, and a high standard at that (and you HAVE to admit, plenty of Johnny's jokes and monologues were VERY suggestive and adult, so I don't understand the issue with Conan).

Conan has the talent, creativity and moxie that no one TV show host, late night or otherwise, has had in the last 20 years. Period.
More power to him. 8)

Letterman had his reign in the mid/late 80's-early 90's, I watched him regularly in college when I should of been in bed or studying, and he was fun and funny.  He had a good run, but his time has past.

karma to you! I totally agree! Conan is the only one that seriously makes me laugh out loud on a regular basis. He's charming, witty, entertaining, and flippin' hilarious! ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/08 at 9:45 am

I find Conan annoying.  He will say or do something funny, then proceed to milk it to death.  :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/08/08 at 10:30 am

Conan is the king of hyperbole!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/08 at 1:41 pm

Pimply hyperbole!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/08/08 at 2:21 pm

Conan vs. Colbert vs. Stewart...now on Youtube!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/08 at 7:23 pm

I find Conan annoying.  He will say or do something funny, then proceed to milk it to death.   :P

Norm MacDonald was worse.  He would do the same thing, 'cept the joke wasn't funny in the first place!
:-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/08/08 at 9:44 pm

IN THE YEAR 2000!!!!! ;D :D ;D :D

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6697/conanfy7.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...