inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Phantom Planet's cover of Jackson Browne's "Somebody's Baby" (2003)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/08/08 at 12:30 am

I just chanced across this the other day while I was looking for the original video on YouTube, and I've totally been listening to it this past week. It was in Not Another Teen Movie (which I never saw, so I didn't know until now). Even though it's a pop/punk version, it's surprisingly good. The key to any cover is to take it on its own terms and not compare it with the original, but I think you can always hear traces of any original song in a cover, they're just interpreting it in their own way.

What's really weird is that I think this cover sounds more Eighties than Browne's original, and that's actually from 1982! Other than the little keyboard bleeps, it doesn't sound that '80s to me (it's just typical medium tempo pop/rock).

Anyway, here's the song (it's a video someone made over Kingdom Hearts - either it never had a real video, or it's just not up/got pulled off):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9jw-YueqzA

Subject: Re: Phantom Planet's cover of Jackson Browne's "Somebody's Baby" (2003)

Written By: whistledog on 02/08/08 at 12:32 am

Being a fan of Jackson's original, I didn't much care for Phantom Planet's version.  Generally when it comes to 80s remakes by artists of today, the only good ones are done by dance artists, otherwise it's some crappy metal version, like what Korn did to 'Word Up' or what Marylin Manson did to 'Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)'

Subject: Re: Phantom Planet's cover of Jackson Browne's "Somebody's Baby" (2003)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/08/08 at 12:37 am

Oh don't get me wrong, Browne's original is definitely the classic (I've loved that one since I was a kid), but for what it was, I thought the cover was pretty good. I guess because I'm comparing it to other run of the mill crappy pop/punk. That type of music seemed to reach a real saturated lowpoint around 2003/'04 when stuff like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan were huge.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/08/08 at 8:44 am

I can totally dig it. ;) I LOVE the original song, it's one of my favorites...but ya, this cover is pretty sweet. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...