inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: BOYCOTT EBAY FEBRUARY 18th-25 2008!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/08 at 12:10 pm

I'm sure some of you know that eBay is changing some things- that sellers can't give negative feedback to buyers. The other thing is their fees. They told everyone that they are lowering their insertion fees and gallery pics will be free but what they neglected to inform everyone that the % of the final value fee will be going up. Many eBayers are not happy about these changes and are staging a boycott. They are hoping that sellers will not list anything for the week of Feb. 18th thru the 25th. They are also hoping that if there are some sellers who do list, that buyers will not cross the picket line so to speak and not bid/buy anything on eBay for that week.

Please join!!!

BOYCOTT EBAY FEBRUARY 18-25th 2008

Cat

Subject: Re: BOYCOTT EBAY FEBRUARY 18th-25 2008!!!

Written By: Dawg on 02/08/08 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, I noticed they conveniently neglected to tell people about the increase in the final value fee in the letter that went out and they are trying to make it look like they "listened" to sellers. I doubt very much any seller said, "Hey, you know, we really don't need to leave feedback for no-show buyers. Why don't you take that privilege away from us?"

I'm all for this show of solidarity against "greedbay".  Count me in.

Written By: saver on 02/08/08 at 9:56 pm

Recently I complained to the Corp. online address as they were listing a seller with an item of a perhaps 'bootlegged' video that I had inside connection with and they never as much called me back to go after the dealer or see if I was legit for the report-they way they let people abuse sellling things they shouldn't...so to me, they may be promoting it...

I am still waiting for their security dept. to call me to nab/expose the seller!

Written By: Gis on 02/09/08 at 11:50 am

Is this on the America site only? They haven't said anything in the U.K about it..................

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/08 at 11:53 am

Is this on the America site only? They haven't said anything in the U.K about it..................

I don't know. My sister told me that a friend of hers told her about it and didn't have the dates-so I did a Google search. I don't see why people in the UK can't jump on board, too.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/08 at 12:42 pm

Just when I was starting to get into it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/08 at 1:15 pm

Just when I was starting to get into it!

The boycott is only for a week-well maybe 2. We have decided that we are not going to list anything so it won't come up during that week. If everyone is in solidarity, maybe eBay will makes things BETTER. (Well, we can only hope.)

Cat

Written By: Red Ant on 02/09/08 at 1:33 pm

I've never used eBay so I will boycott them from Feb 18th to the 31st of Nevuary.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/08 at 2:43 pm

The boycott is only for a week-well maybe 2. We have decided that we are not going to list anything so it won't come up during that week. If everyone is in solidarity, maybe eBay will makes things BETTER. (Well, we can only hope.)

Cat
I was given two books about eBay and the business side of it, but it seems now that these books will need additional chapters.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/09/08 at 3:20 pm

I've never used eBay so I will boycott them from Feb 18th to the 31st of Nevuary.

Ant

LOL  ditto and Karma  ;D

Written By: Mooshy on 02/15/08 at 11:30 pm

sellers can't give negative feedback to buyers.

Wait, so does this mean the "3 strikes and your out" rule will no longer apply to buyers?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/08 at 12:13 pm

Wait, so does this mean the "3 strikes and your out" rule will no longer apply to buyers?

How can it be? If sellers are not allowed to give buyers negative feedback.

I was thinking that Overstock.com auctions may be the eBay alternative but they have a lot of kinks that they need to work out. I don't know how much Overstock is putting into the auctions. If they were smart, they would really jump on this since there are so many dissatisfied eBayers.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 02/16/08 at 2:13 pm

Ant

LOL  ditto and Karma   ;D

That makes three of us.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/08 at 2:19 pm

That makes three of us.
I am now wondering should I get into it now.

Written By: Henk on 02/16/08 at 3:29 pm

I am now wondering should I get into it now.

I can't give you any advice on that, Philip. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/08 at 3:31 pm

I can't give you any advice on that, Philip. :-\\
My son can, it was he that gave me those two books.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/16/08 at 4:01 pm

I was watching the South Park episodes where they make fun of Scientology, and I wonder if anyone has ever searched for a Thetan Meter on ebay, and how much one costs?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/08 at 8:03 pm

I was watching the South Park episodes where they make fun of Scientology, and I wonder if anyone has ever searched for a Thetan Meter on ebay, and how much one costs?

I dunno, make a Thetan Meter and name your price!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/08 at 12:47 pm

Apparently the boycott is working:

http://db.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php/

Whether that means that eBay will cave into the demands, who knows?  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/19/08 at 8:53 pm

It's just a Wheatstone bridge, so you can build one yourself for a $1.99 worth of parts from Radio Shack.  As for eBay,  funny you should ask.  Can't make much money selling the magical cans to suckers for $7000+ (Wanna go up a level?  Do what all the Hollywood celebs do: buy a more expensive pair of cans!) when people can just buy a used one $10 on eBay, can you?  That's why every religion has its own dedicated staff of trademark lawyers!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/08 at 11:45 am

They have extended the boycott another week.

Cat

Written By: midnite on 02/28/08 at 12:02 am

boycott ebay every day!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/08 at 2:25 am

Is the boycott working?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/08 at 12:20 pm

Is the boycott working?

Don't know.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/08 at 12:21 pm

Don't know.  :-\\

Cat
Are there any noticeable signs?

Written By: Gis on 03/07/08 at 3:12 pm

Apparently they have admited to putting up 4 million 'ghost' auctions during the botycott.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/08 at 11:19 am

Apparently they have admited to putting up 4 million 'ghost' auctions during the botycott.  :o

Where did you hear this? Do you have a link or something?

Admittedly, we have listed some things on eBay in the last couple of days. At the same time, we are looking for a new venue. Some of the ones we are considering (we rules out Overstock-at least for now)

http://www.plunderhere.com/auction/cgi-bin/Auction

http://us.ebid.net/indexmain.php

Unfortunately, both sites don't have the traffic like eBay-YET!!! So, hopefully, word will go out to buyers that there are other sites-not just eBay. But that is what eBay is doing-make it very nice for the buyers so they will keep coming back.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 03/12/08 at 4:02 am

It was on the U.K discussion boards. Man they are trying hard not only did I get a £5 voucher from them to spend I am now 'A Star' in some new scheme they are doing no details as yet!  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/12/08 at 1:08 pm

It was on the U.K discussion boards. Man they are trying hard not only did I get a £5 voucher from them to spend I am now 'A Star' in some new scheme they are doing no details as yet!  ::)

I have done an in depth search for an eBay alternative and I think I finally found it. 

http://www.onlineauction.com/index.php

I'm not sure if they have members from England (and other places as well) but you can check it out if they do. Prices are reasonable-$8 a month (or you can pay more for a year) for all the listings you want-no insertion fee/no FVF.  It seems like a lot of eBay sellers are going over there-hopefully, the eBay buyers will follow. I have a feeling that this will be the place to be for selling/buying very soon.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...