inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blaze shuts London's famous markets area

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/08 at 3:55 am

Full report on BBC News Online

Police are warning people to avoid parts of Camden, north London, after a fire ravaged the world famous markets area on Saturday.

Surrounding roads are expected to stay closed for several days as damage is assessed in Camden Canal Market.

Some 100 firefighters tackled the blaze, which severely damaged storage buildings and the Hawley Arms pub.

Six people, including three children, spent the night at a sports centre after homes were evacuated.

Camden Council said 100 beds were made available for people at the sports centre, and about 20-odd who initially turned up were found overnight accommodation at hotels.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Chalk Farm Road and parts of Camden High Street, as well as surrounding one way streets, are expected to be closed for the next three or four days."

Subject: Re: Blaze shuts London's famous markets area

Written By: Gis on 02/10/08 at 4:24 am

I was only there two weeks ago!

Good job Amy's in rehab really seeing as her local has burnt down!

Written By: Marian on 02/10/08 at 3:23 pm

Any of your favorite places burn down? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/08 at 4:21 am

Any of your favorite places burn down? ???
I have always admired The Cutty Sark, the sea clipper that is now located in Greenwich (London). Last year it did catch fire, but now has received a grant from the National Lottery to repair the damage.

Written By: Gis on 02/11/08 at 4:30 am

Further to Amy's local burning down, Himself said it's a good job she wasn't in it at the time or we would have heard the explosion from here.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/08 at 5:08 pm

Further to Amy's local burning down, Himself said it's a good job she wasn't in it at the time or we would have heard the explosion from here.  ;D
Because I have been to Camden for some while, I am still trying to picture the exact location of the fire.

Written By: Gis on 02/12/08 at 5:55 am

Because I have been to Camden for some while, I am still trying to picture the exact location of the fire.
Next to the canal.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/08 at 6:06 am

Next to the canal.
Close to the old TVAM studios.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/08 at 6:14 am

Next to the canal.

Close to the old TVAM studios.
Got the location now, it is the other side of the canal to the old TVAM studios.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/08 at 6:56 pm

Hey, we've got a Camden over here I would advise avoiding!
8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/08 at 6:15 am

I do plan to visit this location this summer to see for myself how much damage has been done.

Check for new replies or respond here...