inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The end of the Southwest?

Written By: Perfect Situation on 02/13/08 at 10:40 am

Seems Lake Mead is going dry:

http://www.news.com/8301-11128_3-9870349-54.html

Subject: Re: The end of the Southwest?

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/13/08 at 2:52 pm

I hope someone does something so that it doesn't go totally dry!

Written By: Tia on 02/13/08 at 3:03 pm

I hope someone does something so that it doesn't go totally dry!
they couldn't save new orleans. i imagine they'll pay some contractor a few billion dollars to drive out there and look around, maybe do a study.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/08 at 7:02 pm

I saw this story too.  It could be 10 years, it could be 20 years, it could be 100 years, but sooner or later, L.A., Phoenix, and Las Vegas will be ghost towns. 

The problems will start long before the lakes run dry.  When the rationing gets too onerous, when the rates skyrocket too high, folks will start moving to more temperate climes.

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/13/08 at 10:05 pm

Would all you guys stop listening to Al Gore? The way he has you jumping up and down on the panic button, it'll be worn out when the time comes that we actually need it!
Phoenix & Las Vegas are overtapping Lake Mead for their water. This is NOT a natural occurrence, and a complete dryup IS preventable.
First of all, both cities can find other sources of water, the Southwest has a few other rivers to be tapped. Secondly, we are in the middle of winter. when the temperature rises, the excess snow in the mountains will melt, run down, and replenish the lake. Granted, there has been a drought situation in some of the country, but this will not be a major crisis... if handled properly.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Jessica on 02/13/08 at 10:15 pm

Would all you guys stop listening to Al Gore? The way he has you jumping up and down on the panic button, it'll be worn out when the time comes that we actually need it!
Phoenix & Las Vegas are overtapping Lake Mead for their water. This is NOT a natural occurrence, and a complete dryup IS preventable.
First of all, both cities can find other sources of water, the Southwest has a few other rivers to be tapped. Secondly, we are in the middle of winter. when the temperature rises, the excess snow in the mountains will melt, run down, and replenish the lake. Granted, there has been a drought situation in some of the country, but this will not be a major crisis... if handled properly.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/Daaaaammmnnn-b33p.jpg

Written By: karen on 02/13/08 at 10:19 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Just bury your head in the sand about the problems caused by overconsumption of resources.

(Whilst you're down there could you look for some water?)

Written By: sonikuu on 02/13/08 at 11:50 pm

Well...this just gives me another excuse to move out of Arizona once I finish up college.  I've been planning on it for awhile now and this just gives me extra incentive to leave.  I do not see the Southwest being in a good situation ten or twenty years from now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/08 at 6:50 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Al Gore ain't got nada to do with it.  You've got 25 million people living in a frikkin' desert.  History is prophesy. 

Your Pal,
Max

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/14/08 at 8:06 pm

I've been reading articles about this, and it's awfully sad to hear. I've lived in the Southwest my entire life, and I may have to consider living elsewhere in the future if something isn't done about the Lake Mead situation.  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...