inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Holy effin' crapballs!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/14/08 at 4:26 pm

NIU shooting

:o :o

I hope nobody we know got hurt... :(

Subject: Re: Holy effin' crapballs!

Written By: Dagwood on 02/14/08 at 4:39 pm

That is scary.  That isn't where you go is it, Rice?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/14/08 at 4:41 pm

No, I go to University of Chicago, which is on the South Side...actually not a really safe area either, but nobody has gone off and shot anyone on campus either.

Written By: Jessica on 02/14/08 at 8:59 pm

Last reports are that six people are dead, including the gunman. He had two handguns and a shotgun.

:-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 02/14/08 at 9:05 pm

What a truly sheeshty thing to do, especially on Valentine's Day. I hope the death toll doesn't rise any higher.

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 02/14/08 at 9:21 pm

What a truly sheeshty thing to do, especially on Valentine's Day. I hope the death toll doesn't rise any higher.

Ant

We're all pretty stunned around here. We expect shootings and crap to happen in Chicago proper (I know...that sounds morbid), but this, plus a couple weeks ago with the whole shooting at a Lane Bryant store in Tinley Park....it has just been horrifying.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/08 at 10:40 pm

This is pathetic and truly sad. It's pretty devestating when you can't even feel safe enough to go places like school, the mall, restaurants, etc. :(

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/15/08 at 9:30 am

Yes, it was scary.  I was in the building next door, but I'm safe.  They locked us IN our classroom for 45 minutes (which sucked because I had to pee :P) and many of the other students were pretty much freaking out....I probably would've been too if it weren't for drugs 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/08 at 9:33 am

Yes, it was scary.  I was in the building next door, but I'm safe.  They locked us IN our classroom for 45 minutes (which sucked because I had to pee :P) and many of the other students were pretty much freaking out....I probably would've been too if it weren't for drugs 8)

OMG...I'm so glad you are okay, Kim. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/15/08 at 9:59 am

Yay, you're okay!  I feel bad for all those people who got shot and died though :(

Written By: Dagwood on 02/15/08 at 10:33 am

OMG, Kim.  Glad you are ok. :)

Written By: loki 13 on 02/15/08 at 2:40 pm

Glad to hear your okay Kim, it's so sad and I feel for the victims and their families.

What I don't understand is why these nutballs feel they have to take innocent people with them.
When they feel the need to go on a shooting rampage why can't they start with themselves and save
everyone else from the pain and suffering?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/08 at 6:41 pm

Glad to hear your okay Kim, it's so sad and I feel for the victims and their families.

What I don't understand is why these nutballs feel they have to take innocent people with them.
When they feel the need to go on a shooting rampage why can't they start with themselves and save
everyone else from the pain and suffering?

"The world hurts me, I'll hurt the world."  That's why.  That's the basic motivation in 99% of these cases.
  \ :(

Written By: Jessica on 02/15/08 at 7:06 pm

"The world hurts me, I'll hurt the world."  That's why.  That's the basic motivation in 99% of these cases.
  \ :(

The problem is though that NO ONE hurt him. He was very respected at his university, he had gotten accolades from NIU for doing a two year study on prison inmates hurting themselves, he was at the University of Urbana-Champaign as a graduate student, etc. etc. Unless it was a deeply buried issue of someone hurting him, I'd say this guy had it all. Apparently he was on meds for some illness, but went off of them. So I'd say in this case he went nutso on his own, unless proven otherwise later.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/15/08 at 7:25 pm

The problem is though that NO ONE hurt him. He was very respected at his university, he had gotten accolades from NIU for doing a two year study on prison inmates hurting themselves, he was at the University of Urbana-Champaign as a graduate student, etc. etc. Unless it was a deeply buried issue of someone hurting him, I'd say this guy had it all. Apparently he was on meds for some illness, but went off of them. So I'd say in this case he went nutso on his own, unless proven otherwise later.

That's the way it looks to me as well.

Kim - glad you're okay and it's good to hear from ya!

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/08 at 8:21 pm

"Nutso" is it.  We all know people the who got crummier deals in life than this guy.  His problems were rather ordinary.  His girlfriend dumped him, his folks moved away, he was feeling lonely, etc.  His moral compass was out of whack.  That's what made the difference.  If pain and problems made he average person pick up a gun and start firing at strangers, we'd all be mass murderers! 

This guy's mugshot reminds me a lot of Lee Harvey Oswald.  Anybody else see a resemblance?

Check for new replies or respond here...