inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mercy by Duffy

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/08 at 6:08 am

The Offical Video on YouTube

It makes a change to a pleasant song in the charts, but do you think the song sounds like Rehab by amy Winehouse?

Subject: Re: Mercy by Duffy

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/08 at 8:39 am

It's a catchy song.  The only thing I don't like is how it knocked Basshunter off the top of the UK chart >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/08 at 9:02 am

It's a catchy song.  The only thing I don't like is how it knocked Basshunter off the top of the UK chart >:(
...more records were sold or downloaded?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/08 at 1:44 pm

The good news is that this record has retained the number #1 slot for the second week running.

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/24/08 at 5:31 pm

It's certainly derived from...  I don't like it at all!

Written By: IndieLover on 02/27/08 at 8:21 am

It makes a change to a pleasant song in the charts, but do you think the song sounds like Rehab by amy Winehouse?

Not really. I don't find this style pleasant, though? I prefer indie/rock music, which there hasn't been much of lately! It's all been Take That and Leona lewis and that rubbish!

Written By: midnite on 02/28/08 at 10:12 pm

Yes Phillip, it was only a matter of time before all the Whinehouse rip-offs started coming down the pike.........

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/08 at 8:21 pm

Mercy by Duffy has just entered the Canadian Chart at #94

First Leona Lewis, now Duffy.  All these UK artists I didn't think would break it over here, now have.  It's like a new British invasion.  I like 8)

Written By: Henk on 04/04/08 at 12:20 am

"Mercy" has claimed the #1 spot in Dutch Top 40 this week. Me likes the song. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/08 at 2:03 am

"Mercy" has claimed the #1 spot in Dutch Top 40 this week. Me likes the song. :)
For me, the song is now old and sound ordinary to me now.

Written By: tv on 04/04/08 at 7:34 pm

I think they are playing this song "Mercy" by Duffy on WPLJ(a station from NYC where I live by) and she seems like a watered down Amy Winehouse to me.

Written By: tv on 04/04/08 at 7:36 pm

Yes Phillip, it was only a matter of time before all the Whinehouse rip-offs started coming down the pike.........
Yeah once some artists breaks out big each label has their version of that artist that broke out first.

Written By: tv on 04/04/08 at 7:39 pm

Not really. I don't find this style pleasant, though? I prefer indie/rock music, which there hasn't been much of lately! It's all been Take That and Leona lewis and that rubbish!
Well here in the US it was refreshing to see Leona Lewis go to Number #1 even if it was for only 1 week. I mean the past year most of the songs that have been chart toppers on the US Billboard Hot 100 have been by Glam Rap artists or artists that are heavily infuenced by Glam Rap.

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/08 at 7:37 pm

'Mercy' has risen to #60 in Canada 8)

Written By: woops on 04/18/08 at 10:09 pm

It's a good song. Though doesn't remind me of Amy Winehouse. Though she's more pleasing in the eye and don't think she's that sleazy...

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/20/08 at 10:05 pm

It's a good song. Though doesn't remind me of Amy Winehouse. Though she's more pleasing in the eye and don't think she's that sleazy...

Completely agree.
I like Duffy, Amy Winehouse, not as much.

I can appreciate AW's talent, but Duffy has a much more soulful voice and is much more reminiscent of the vocal styles that AW is trying to emulate.

Really though, its hard to knock any of the two, as for once (despite Winehouses personal issues) we have two women who actually have some real talented voices and know how to use them.

Thats a rarity in the recent music scene.

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/08 at 9:44 pm

In Canada, 'Mercy' has jumped from #55 to #41.  Will it move into the Top 40 next week?  Will it reach #1?  All of these questions and more will be answered on the next episode of 'SOAP' ROFL

Written By: woops on 03/12/09 at 4:12 pm

I like:

"Rockferry"
"Stepping Stone"
"Warwick Avenue"
"Mercy"

The only gripe is that her debut album is mostly ballads and "Mercy" is the only uptempo song. Maybe she wanted to be more known as a ballad artist, but her label forced her to add an uptempo song... who knows.

I like ballads, though she should've been more diversed on her debut.

Unique voice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/09 at 4:16 pm

This video is not available in your country.

Due to the copyright reasons it has been withdrawn for UK viewers.

Check for new replies or respond here...