inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NIN: Trent self-releases new album - Gives a big F.U. to the record labels

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/02/08 at 9:09 pm

http://ghosts.nin.com/

The site is totally overloaded right now... here's the details

FREE DOWNLOAD
Ghosts I - The first 9 tracks from the Ghosts I-IV collection available as
high-quality DRM-free MP3s (320kbps LAME encoded, fully tagged) including complete 40 page PDF. Also includes the digital extras pack - various
wallpapers, icons, and graphics tools for your computer, website, profile, etc.

$5 DOWNLOAD
Ghosts I-IV - All 36 tracks in a variety of DRM-free digital formats (320
kbps LAME encoded, fully tagged; FLAC Lossless; Apple Lossless) including a 40
page PDF. Also includes the digital extras pack - various wallpapers, icons,
and graphics tools for your computer, website, profile, etc.

This version is also available from the Amazon MP3 store.

$10 2XCD SET
Ghosts I-IV - 2 audio CDs in a gatefold digipak package with a 16-page
booklet. To be shipped TBD. Includes immediate DRM-free download of the
entire collection in same choice of formats as $5 Download option. Download
will include the 40 page PDF and the digital extras pack - various wallpapers,
cons, and graphics tools for your computer, website, profile, etc.
This configuration will be released to retail in North America (April 8), Australia (April 5), the UK (April 8), Japan (April 5) and most European territories (April 8).

$75 LIMITED EDITION DELUXE PACKAGE
Ghosts I-IV - Hardcover book holding 2 audio CDs, 1 data DVD of all 36
tracks in multi-track format (in .wav files readable by Mac and Windows), and
Blu-ray disc featuring stereo recordings in high-definition 24 bit 96Khz with
exclusive slide show. Includes immediate DRM-free download of the entire
collection in all formats and with all extras mentioned above. Also includes
48-page hardcover of photographs by Phillip Graybill and Rob Sheridan.
Discs and art book both housed in fabric slipcover.

$300 ULTRA-DELUXE LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE
Ghosts I-IV - Contains all elements from deluxe package, along with
exclusive 4XLP 180-gram vinyl set, and two limited edition Giclee prints
available exclusively in this package. Disc book, art book, and prints are
all housed in a fabric slipcover. 4XLP vinyl set comes in its own fabric
slipcover. INCLUDES immediate DRM-free download of the entire collection in
all formats and with all extras mentioned above. LIMITED TO 2500 PIECES,
NUMBERED AND PERSONALLY SIGNED BY TRENT REZNOR.

Subject: Re: NIN: Trent self-releases new album - Gives a big F.U. to the record labels

Written By: Brian06 on 03/02/08 at 10:30 pm

Nice I'll have to download. love NIN.

Subject: Re: NIN: Trent self-releases new album - Gives a big F.U. to the record labels

Written By: Davester on 03/03/08 at 8:56 am

All instrumental?  Looks like fun...

I'm there.  The two CD set looks good...

I haven't been with these guys since Downward Spiral...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/08 at 7:57 pm

If it's all instrumental, I'll have to check it out.  The NIN I've liked has been instrumental stuff.  His lyrics are juvenile crap.  He is capable of writing good music; maybe now that he's 42, he'll step up to the plate a bit more instead of trying to play to Marilyn Manson's audience.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/03/08 at 9:30 pm

I'm liking what I've had time to listen to so far.  NIN's about the only act these days that I won't skip through first before listening to; it's sorta like Pink Floyd, where you want to block out an hour or two of time and listen to the entire thing in one sitting.  Skipping through the tracks for a couple of seconds would be like reading 10 random pages from a novel before sitting down to read the whole thing.

In a further birdflip to RIAA, he's released the works under the Creative Commons license.  That means that noncommercial distribution, so long as properly attributed as his work, is permitted.  So if the NIN site is overloaded (and it is!), feel free to get 'em from your favorite .torrent site (yep, Reznor has even endorsed the Pirate Bay as an official outlet for his music), or you can also check out a.b.s.mp3.gothic-industrial, where someone's already upped all four volumes.)

I've already got my pre-order in for the $70 set.  I'll have heard everything on the discs (and have my own copies of the MP3s) long before it shows up, which is fine by me.  And Trent.

I'm enjoying his more recent stuff more than his older stuff -- but I've gotta give Head like a Hole a spin tonight.  Dedicated, of course, to RIAA and the artists who still believe in RIAA's business model:  Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve.

Written By: NbC on 03/04/08 at 4:01 am

Cool!!!

I am currently downloading a copy from Pirate Bay.  :)  Can't wait to listen to the tracks....10 more minutes.  :)

Written By: KKay on 03/04/08 at 6:35 am

i'll have it in a minute

nevermind. it didn't work.  i'll find it somewhere els.e

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/04/08 at 9:02 am

If it's all instrumental, I'll have to check it out.  The NIN I've liked has been instrumental stuff.  His lyrics are juvenile crap.  He is capable of writing good music; maybe now that he's 42, he'll step up to the plate a bit more instead of trying to play to Marilyn Manson's audience.
::)

The Quake soundtrack is pretty cool, he did that about ten years ago.

as for Marilyn Manson's audience, Marilyn Manson became popular through Trent, MM was on tour with him before setting out on his own.  I know fans of both groups, and there isn't as much overlap as you'd think.

Written By: tv on 03/05/08 at 3:13 pm

as for Marilyn Manson's audience, Marilyn Manson became popular through Trent, MM was on tour with him before setting out on his own.  I know fans of both groups, and there isn't as much overlap as you'd think.
Yeah but Marylin will never have 3 critically acclaimed albums like NIN did(Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile.) I like NIN but I don;t care for Manson musical work's that much.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/08 at 9:01 pm

I remember when MM was getting the big push his label.  I was music director at my university radio station.  They must have sent me 100 MM promos and paraphernalia that summer.  I thought, "Jesus, this is dumb!" and dumped them in the circular file with the rest of the early '90s glam metal crap.  Eighteen months later he's going multiplatinum!
;D
I came to have a reluctant respect for MM over the years.  His music never did it for me, though. 

I saw NIN open for Bowie in '95.  I was there to see Bowie and willing to sit through NIN (and Prick) to do it.  I was taken aback by what a terrific show NIN put on, though by the end of Bowie's first set I'd forgotten about NIN.  Bowie was effing incredible!!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/06/08 at 7:59 am

I remember when MM was getting the big push his label.  I was music director at my university radio station.  They must have sent me 100 MM promos and paraphernalia that summer.  I thought, "Jesus, this is dumb!" and dumped them in the circular file with the rest of the early '90s glam metal crap.  Eighteen months later he's going multiplatinum!
;D
I came to have a reluctant respect for MM over the years.  His music never did it for me, though. 

I saw NIN open for Bowie in '95.  I was there to see Bowie and willing to sit through NIN (and Prick) to do it.  I was taken aback by what a terrific show NIN put on, though by the end of Bowie's first set I'd forgotten about NIN.  Bowie was effing incredible!!!

MM has one good album (Antichrist Superstar), and a couple earworm worthy singles.  Otherwise, he's mostly about shock value. Can't stand his cover songs.

NIN opening for Bowie seems so wrong... I have the complete discography for both perfomers and love 'em both, so I'd have been happy to see that line up.  Just no idea why the would tour together.  I saw NIN last year and they do an incredible show, and I'm willing to bet that as an opener for Bowie, they probably didn't have the stage setup they would normally have had.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/06/08 at 10:39 am

MM has one good album (Antichrist Superstar), and a couple earworm worthy singles.  Otherwise, he's mostly about shock value. Can't stand his cover songs.

NIN opening for Bowie seems so wrong... I have the complete discography for both perfomers and love 'em both, so I'd have been happy to see that line up.  Just no idea why the would tour together.  I saw NIN last year and they do an incredible show, and I'm willing to bet that as an opener for Bowie, they probably didn't have the stage setup they would normally have had.

Bowie wasn't playing his hits on the '95 tour; he was playing deep cuts and lesser known stuff, which the NIN kids didn't know.  I recall a lot of bored-looking NIN fans as Bowie crooned through "My Death," for instance.  I could hear myself cheering alone in my section for "Andy Warhol," while the NIN goths were like, "Uhhhh...this like sucks and stuff."
:D
Bowie certainly could have tailored a show for the NIN crowd that would have blown their socks off.  He's David Bowie, he can do anything!  But why should he?  Trent owes Bowie, not the other way around!

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/08/08 at 9:06 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG4I8FovIAU

The songs are now up on YouTube.

I still haven't gotten around to buying it.  Figured I'd wait a week and let the rush subside...  This track is very mellow, which from the description of the project is what a lot of it is supposed to be like.

Written By: Davester on 03/30/08 at 5:50 pm

I ordered a copy today.  The stuff on youtube is groovy.  Check out some more...

Anyone get their sheeit yet..?

Check for new replies or respond here...