inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Patrick Swayze has only a few weeks...

Written By: DeutscherGirl on 03/05/08 at 5:41 pm

I read today that Patrick Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he doesn't have much longer, the doctors only give him a few weeks left to live....how sad is that?

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar/_a/swayze-diagnosed-with-pancreatic-cancer/20080305115909990001

Baby

Subject: Re: Patrick Swayze has only a few weeks...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/05/08 at 6:23 pm

I heard about his condition.  It does take a person fast.  It's sad to see someone like that go through suck an awful illness.  Michael Landon died of it. :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Jessica on 03/05/08 at 6:30 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080305/en_nm/swayze_dc_6

Not as bad as the National Enquirer is making it out to be. Either way, it's a sucky thing for the NE to pretty much FORCE him to make a statement about it. ::)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/05/08 at 6:32 pm

I just heard.  55 is not old...also heard it has already spread.  This will be a loss.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/08 at 6:54 pm

Sad to say this, but if he has pancreatic cancer then he is pretty much SOL.  Pancreatic cancer is an insidious disease, because its symptoms are not obvious, and by the time doctors find out you have it, it's too late.

I had a college acquaintence who died from pancreatic cancer back in October.

This is terrible news coming on the heels of Jeff Healey's recent passing.  :\'(

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/05/08 at 7:22 pm

Very, very sad news to hear....my heart goes out to him and his family.  :\'( :\'(

I don't think I can ever watch "Dirty Dancing" again without feeling sad.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/08 at 7:29 pm

I don't think I can ever watch "Dirty Dancing" again without feeling sad.  :\'(

Nor "Roadhouse" either...  :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/08 at 8:47 pm

Nor "Roadhouse" either...  :\'(

"Roadhouse" is in my top 10 guilty pleasures!

I'm sorry to hear about Swayze.  He's a great guy.  My favorite Swayze memory is the SNL sketch with Chris Farley and him trying out to be Chippendales dancer.  Farley also died before his time.
:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/08 at 10:46 pm

"Roadhouse" is in my top 10 guilty pleasures!

I'm sorry to hear about Swayze.  He's a great guy.  My favorite Swayze memory is the SNL sketch with Chris Farley and him trying out to be Chippendales dancer.  Farley also died before his time.
:\'(

The Chippendales have always had an aura of untimely death.  Its three founders all died prematurely... Paul Snider committed suicide after killing his wife Dorothy Stratten, choreographer Nick Denoia was allehged to have been murdered by the other founder Somen Banerjee, who commited suicide while awaiting sentencing for the attempted murder-for-hire of two Chippy dancers.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/05/08 at 10:56 pm

I just read that Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. Let's hope and pray for the best.

Written By: ninny on 03/05/08 at 11:31 pm

This is such sad news,its sad when anyone whether they be a celebrity or not receives such devastating news as this. :\'(

Written By: saver on 03/06/08 at 1:35 am

Is the Enquirer retracting you think?

I too knew someone who passed on from it but doctors say Patrick is getting his treatment.

Overall, professionals in pancreatic cancer say, you won't live any longer than 5 years with it.

Prayers for him and the family. :-\\ 

Written By: danootaandme on 03/06/08 at 4:29 am

It is pancreatic cancer, though he may get some extra time it is one of the cancers that doesn't offer much hope.  This is very sad, he is one of the most likeable of stars.  :\'(

Written By: KKay on 03/06/08 at 6:33 am

Here's to him.

One of the greatest moments on TV!!!
http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=1422

Written By: gibbo on 03/06/08 at 7:18 am

It is pancreatic cancer, though he may get some extra time it is one of the cancers that doesn't offer much hope.  This is very sad, he is one of the most likeable of stars.   :\'(

Yes, I read today that the survival rate is less than 5%........ :(

Written By: KKay on 03/06/08 at 7:22 am

Yes, I read today that the survival rate is less than 5%........ :(

wow...sad end.

Written By: Tia on 03/06/08 at 8:46 am

they're saying he's actually responding well to the treatment and the whole 5-weeks-to-live is a rumor.

http://tinyurl. com/yryjof

23-percent survivability rate after one year. not as dire as stated but not a happy statistic either. wtf does a pancreas do, anyway? pancreatize? do we even need the bastards?

Written By: Jessica on 03/06/08 at 9:53 am

they're saying he's actually responding well to the treatment and the whole 5-weeks-to-live is a rumor.

23-percent survivability rate after one year. not as dire as stated but not a happy statistic either. wtf does a pancreas do, anyway? pancreatize? do we even need the bastards?

I said that earlier, but was ignored. What gets me is how everyone in the media is talking like he's already dead. PEOPLE! He's not in his grave yet! Calm down! Yes, it is very sad that he has pancreatic cancer, and yes, the survival rates suck, but new advances are made every day and none of us know the extent of his. Don't be writing his obituary just yet.

Tia, yes we do need the pancreas. It creates insulin for your body, among other things.

Written By: Tia on 03/06/08 at 10:08 am

Tia, yes we do need the pancreas. It creates insulin for your body, among other things.
crap! :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/06/08 at 10:20 am

crap! :(

No, that's the intestines.
:P

Written By: Tia on 03/06/08 at 10:24 am

No, that's the intestines.
:P
thanks, marcus welby!  :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/06/08 at 11:21 am

Here's to him.

that's the best! ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/06/08 at 2:37 pm

Wow. How sad. I hope he pulls through. I wrote him a letter one time. Never sent it, though.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/06/08 at 2:48 pm

I always thought he was a lame actor but he really could dance so he is cool in my book. When it comes to cancer patients keep beating the odds and i hope he does too.

Written By: nally on 03/06/08 at 2:50 pm

I heard about this as well. He's still fairly young...so it would be sad for him to go so soon. :\'( I, too, hope he can beat the odds.

Written By: gemini on 03/06/08 at 2:52 pm

Here's to him.

Haha! You're not kidding! I love that skit!

Cancer sucks!!!  >:(  Keep up the fight Patrick!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/06/08 at 3:56 pm

The problem with pancreatic cancer is not really its effect on the pancreas, although that part sux too.

The BIG problem with PC is that by the time it is detected, it has already spread to the rest of the body and you're too far gone.  The 5-year survivor rate is a low 4% as a result.  :-\\

Written By: Cheetara on 03/06/08 at 5:23 pm

I'm deeply sadden to hear about Patrick Swayze.  My favorite movie which he starred in "Ghost".  I hope he responds well to treatment.  I pray for him and his family.  :(

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/08 at 6:03 pm

How awful. :(

I like the film 'Dirty Dancing' and his song 'She's like the wind' is amazing.

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/06/08 at 7:27 pm

I just read that Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. Let's hope and pray for the best.

I really, truly hope so.  :\'(

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/07/08 at 2:11 pm

I'll always remember him as Sam Bran in Ghost.  One of my all-time favorite movies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/08 at 2:23 pm

I'll always remember him as Sam Bran in Ghost.  One of my all-time favorite movies.
Same as my family. We must have seen Ghost over a dozen times, everytime it is on we watch it.

Check for new replies or respond here...