inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Next Youth Rebellion

Written By: midnite on 03/08/08 at 12:58 am

Every 10 - 15 years many youths rebell against the older establishment and mainstream.  Prior to the internet, music has been the vehicle for the rebelious culture/movement. It was used to spread the word of the movement.  Here are some examples........

50s - Rock And Roll - Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis.
60s - Hippies - Grateful Dead, Crosby Still Nash
70s - Punk - Sex Pistols, Clash
80s - Hip Hop / Punk - NWA, Public Enemy / Black Flag, Minor Threat

Currently, it seems as if there is no new musical style out there other than Reggaeton.  The rebellious music from previous decades (hip hop, punk, hard rock) is all mainstream now.

For the 90s and 00s is there an underground or rebellious youth culture?  If so, I assume that the internet (not music) is the vehicle to spread the word of the movement.  Is there currently a musical vehicle for rebellion, like the examples above from previous decades?

Subject: Re: The Next Youth Rebellion

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/08/08 at 2:04 pm

Every 10 - 15 years many youths rebell against the older establishment and mainstream.  Prior to the internet, music has been the vehicle for the rebelious culture/movement. It was used to spread the word of the movement.  Here are some examples........

Currently, it seems as if there is no new musical style out there other than Reggaeton.  The rebellious music from previous decades (hip hop, punk, hard rock) is all mainstream now.

For the 90s and 00s is there an underground or rebellious youth culture?  If so, I assume that the internet (not music) is the vehicle to spread the word of the movement.  Is there currently a musical vehicle for rebellion, like the examples above from previous decades?

New trends, especially when it come to forms of youth culture are not readily known by the general public or the average Joe, not until it gets major notice.

Its very difficult to say there isn’t any other movement other than Reggaeton (and while that may be one of the most popular trends, its not the only emerging style growing right now). I guarantee you, there is something out there, happening now, we wouldn’t really know what it is until it “breaks” big and someone puts a label on it.

Rock n’ roll didn’t really make the map until big acts like Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis came on the scene, but the music, it was there all the time, long before they came along.
Most people didn’t really identify what a “hippie” was until the late sixties (Woodstock, etc) but the mindset of what a hippie was had been around decades before.
Punk rock (at least by purest definitions) has been around since the early ‘60’s but most didn’t know or hear of it till the Sex Pistols arrived in the late ‘70’s...

Don’t understate the power of the internet, it effects on music and the youth today is more of a force than you realize. Just as powerful as the message music delivers (or culture it represents) is HOW we access it.

We now have access to more and many different types of music that wouldn’t of heard before or wouldn’t of had an audience to hear it (i.e. podcasts, iPods/mp3 players etc.) Radio was the main way we got our music in the last 65 years, not so today. That’s a huge revolution. We don’t even listen to albums as artists package them anymore, we download individual tunes.

With the success of direct album sale via the internet (Radiohead, Prince, and NIN) I believe a whole new wave of DIY artists is on the horizon, that will be your next youth culture rebellion. 

Written By: tv on 03/08/08 at 5:29 pm

Rebellious movements of the 90's: that would be like grunge and gangsta rap. The 00's: the rebillous movement was glam rap(2003-early 2006.)

Written By: KKay on 03/08/08 at 5:45 pm

I was just thinking that some kinda bubblegum pop is won it's way back in.

Written By: Tia on 03/08/08 at 8:12 pm

Is there currently a musical vehicle for rebellion, like the examples above from previous decades?

i believe those have been labeled as "terrorism" and outlawed.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/08 at 10:39 pm

Good topic. I don't think there's as much UNIVERSAL youth rebellion against the establishment (i.e. rock and roll, the Vietnam War, censorship issues) like there was between the '50s and the early-mid '90s. Meaning like, a large number of teens or young people rallied together and had the same ideas.

It's still around, but is more selective among certain people.

Check for new replies or respond here...