inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NY Crane Collapse

Written By: danootaandme on 03/16/08 at 10:08 am

Being in construction, I have been following the story of the collapse of the crane.  All I can say is it never, ever, should have happened, and from what I have read it was an accident waiting to happen.  Shearing off one brace should not have caused the crane to topple, crane specifications for this kind of a residential site would have made it impossible. 

The company and its workers were obviously cutting corners, and the fact that the crane was inspected and passed would make me believe that the inspector had been payed to turn a blind eye to the standard.  This is a construction workers worst nightmare. I am not sure how it works in New York, but in Massachusetts the operator has a license that allows him to stop all work if the crane is not up to specifications or if they believe operating it would be dangerous, I, myself have had to stop work, much to the ire of the foreman, but, since I was the licensed operator it was my call.  It appears to me that this was a case of gross negligence on the part of all involved and it is a sin that innocent people have lost so much due to what amounts to criminal actions to those involved.

Subject: Re: NY Crane Collapse

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/16/08 at 7:31 pm

My heart goes out to the ambulance-chasing lawyers in New York City, who must now choose between working on the Crane Collape Case, or the Bear Stearns Debacle.  8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/16/08 at 8:12 pm

My heart goes out to the ambulance-chasing lawyers in New York City, who must now choose between working on the Crane Collape Case, or the Bear Stearns Debacle.  8-P

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/donkey.jpg

Two, two, count 'em, two!  Two piles of leveraged FAIL for the price of one!

(Hey, I don't own any BSC, and the just-renovated-by-crane Fu Bar wasn't Foo's Bar, so relatively speaking, I had a decent weekend compared to a lot of folks...)

Written By: Red Ant on 03/17/08 at 7:05 pm

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/donkey.jpg

Two, two, count 'em, two!  Two piles of leveraged FAIL for the price of one!

(Hey, I don't own any BSC, and the just-renovated-by-crane Fu Bar wasn't Foo's Bar, so relatively speaking, I had a decent weekend compared to a lot of folks...)

Yeah, provided you didn't get crushed by a crane or lose a few billion dollars in value, you had a much better weekend than most.

They pulled the remaining victims from the rubble today - seven people dead. From the various stories I've read, I agree with Danoota's assessment: this crane collapse was waiting to happen, and finally did.

Ant

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/17/08 at 10:10 pm

Yeah, provided you didn't get crushed by a crane or lose a few billion dollars in value, you had a much better weekend than most. 

Hey, never let it be said that I don't have standards.  Low standards are still standards, right?  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/08 at 7:07 pm

Hey, never let it be said that I don't have standards.  Low standards are still standards, right?  :)

You askin' me, bud?
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...