inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Slang of the 2000's - "Shorty"

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/16/08 at 7:35 pm

So here in Picksburgh PA, I have started listening to the local radio station B-94, which plays all sorts of music, inclding a healthy dose of rap and hip-hop,

I've just noticed that almost all of the rap/hiphop songs include references to "shorty" (or "shawty").  So I Googled it and apparently this is urban slang for one's girlfriend or an attractive woman.

Does anybody know the origin of "shorty"?  How did this term suddenly come about?  Or has LyricBoy simply been living in a cave and only just now discovered this phrase? ???

Subject: Re: Slang of the 2000's - "Shorty"

Written By: Brian06 on 03/16/08 at 7:53 pm

Wikipedia says it comes from southern urban culture which would explain it since all that horrible southern rap is what dominates hip-hop now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/16/08 at 8:15 pm

It seems like this phrase has been around for awhile too. I'm not sure when it started, but I can remember hearing it in rap songs even back in 1997 or 1998.

Written By: tv on 03/16/08 at 8:17 pm

I think its pronounced "Shawty" and Shorty. R&B Singer "Lloyd" had a hit called "Get It Shawty" in early to mid 2007. Hip-Hop/R&B artist and producer "The Dream" also had a hit called "Shawty is a 10" in 2007. There has been a rapper that is on the charts recently that is named "Shawty Lo"

Written By: Brian06 on 03/16/08 at 8:37 pm

I think its pronounced "Shawty" and Shorty. R&B Singer "Lloyd" had a hit called "Get It Shawty" in early to mid 2007. Hip-Hop/R&B artist and producer "The Dream" also had a hit called "Shawty is a 10" in 2007. There has been a rapper that is on the charts recently that is named "Shawty Lo"

God that dude is HORRIBLE.  ::)

Written By: Davester on 03/18/08 at 3:06 pm

Shorty!  That's kinda funny... 

Written By: Zoso on 03/19/08 at 7:56 am

The first time I heard the term was:

"Go shorty, it's your birthday"

Written By: danootaandme on 03/19/08 at 4:45 pm

Wikipedia says it comes from southern urban culture which would explain it since all that horrible southern rap is what dominates hip-hop now.

They gave us horrible rebel rock, continuing to avenge for the war

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/24/08 at 1:52 am

lol, it took me awhile to figure out that too...I think it refers to women in general, but I haven't checked up on that. Maybe the most obvious explanation, because they're generally shorter? ROFL

Written By: danootaandme on 03/24/08 at 4:15 am

It's slang,  by the time we figure it out it will be out of use.

Written By: Satish on 03/24/08 at 11:51 am

Off the top of my head, the first time I can recall hearing it was in the song "Angel" by Shaggy from 2001.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/08 at 6:37 pm

The stations here in Picksburgh are incessantly playing some song whose catch line is "Shorty I will take you dere..."

Written By: Dukefan on 03/26/08 at 7:56 pm

I've known the term for some time but it seems it has become more widely used as of late.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/29/08 at 11:55 am

Sorry, not from the 2000s at all. I've heard it way back when in the 80s.

Remember, any slang used now is already old. It's never new.

Written By: Davester on 03/29/08 at 12:01 pm

Sorry, not from the 2000s at all. I've heard it way back when in the 80s.

Remember, any slang used now is already old. It's never new.

Yeah, I'm getting alot of that with the submissions on inthe80s.  Also, I don't like to add slang terms first popularized in film/TV ("Heathers") to the site's database, but sometimes it's hard to tell...

Written By: Davester on 03/29/08 at 12:05 pm

Just me and my shorty.  I love my shorty...

Check for new replies or respond here...