inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Billboard Hot 100 (Leona Is No.1!!!)

Written By: dinno on 03/26/08 at 7:54 pm

BILLBOARD HOT 100
TW | LW | WOC | Artist | Title | Peak

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drj100/j121/j12160ughk8.jpg

8 1 LEWIS*LEONA BLEEDING LOVE - SINGLE
1 2 USHER FEATURING YOU LOVE IN THIS CLUB
7 3 RAY J FEAT. YUNG BERG SEXY CAN I
2 4 CHRIS BROWN WITH YOU
4 5 SARA BAREILLES LOVE SONG
6 6 JORDIN SPARKS DUET NO AIR
3 7 FLO RIDA LOW/JEALOUS
5 8 RIHANNA DON'T STOP THE MUSIC (JODY DEN
85 9 LIL WAYNE FEATURING LOLLIPOP
19 10 LIL MAMA SHAWTY GET LOOSE
9 11 TIMBALAND/ONEREPUBLIC APOLOGIZE - SINGLE
16 12 ONEREPUBLIC STOP AND STARE
10 13 FIASCO*LUPE SUPERSTAR
11 14 MILEY CYRUS SEE YOU AGAIN
14 15 MARIAH CAREY TOUCH MY BODY - STILL BULLETED
12 16 WEBBIE, LIL' PHAT & INDEPENDENT
13 17 KEYS*ALICIA NO ONE
17 18 BUCKCHERRY SORRY
23 19 FLO RIDA FEATURING ELEVATOR
43 20 YAEL NAIM NEW SOUL
20 21 SEAN KINGSTON TAKE YOU THERE
22 22 TAYLOR SWIFT TEARDROPS ON MY GUITAR
15 23 SNOOP DOGG SENSUAL SEDUCTION
18 24 ALICIA KEYS LIKE YOU'LL NEVER SEE ME AGAIN
25 25 JORDIN SPARKS TATTOO
26 26 CAILLAT*COLBIE BUBBLY - SINGLE
64 27 DANITY KANE DAMAGED
21 28 LINKIN PARK SHADOW OF THE DAY
33 29 JONAS BROTHERS WHEN YOU LOOK ME IN THE EYES
28 30 CARRIE UNDERWOOD ALL-AMERICAN GIRL
29 31 FINGER ELEVEN PARALYZER
34 32 DAUGHTRY FEELS LIKE TONIGHT
24 33 J. HOLIDAY SUFFOCATE
31 34 FERGIE CLUMSY Bubbling Under Hot 100 Highlights

-- 1 DANITY KANE LIGHTS OUT
7 3 JASON MRAZ I'M YOURS
22 5 DAY26 GOT ME GOING - SINGLE
-- 10 DANITY KANE FEATURI BAD GIRL
-- 11 AMY ADAMS THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW
-- 14 GNARLS BARKLEY RUN (I'M A NATURAL DISASTER)
-- 24 FERGIE FINALLY

R&B/Hip Hop Songs Highlights

1 1 KEYSHIA COLE I REMEMBER
6 2 USHER FEATURING YOU LOVE IN THIS CLUB
3 3 THE-DREAM FALSETTO
2 4 ALICIA KEYS LIKE YOU'LL NEVER SEE ME AGAIN
11 5 RAY J FEAT. YUNG BERG SEXY CAN I
9 6 MARIO CRYING OUT FOR ME
10 8 MARIAH CAREY TOUCH MY BODY
27 21 ASHANTI THE WAY THAT I LOVE YOU
65 45 MARY J. BLIGE STAY DOWN
55 47 JORDIN SPARKS DUET NO AIR

Subject: Re: Billboard Hot 100 (Leona Is No.1!!!)

Written By: Brian06 on 03/26/08 at 8:20 pm

First British woman in 20 years to top the Hot 100. Congrats Leona!

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/08 at 8:54 pm

Hopefully she won't be a one hit wonder in North America.  She's already had three Top 40s in her native UK

Written By: sonikuu on 03/27/08 at 2:11 am

Better than Love In This Club (Usher usually makes good singles, but not this time).  Hopefully she doesn't suffer from the same one hit wonder problem James Blunt did.  

In other news, it is official: Rap music (and R&B that may as well be Rap) is making a comeback and is now making up a larger portion of the Top Ten than it did just one year ago while the only genuinely good rap song on the list (Lupe Fiasco - Superstar) declines in standing.  My faith in the masses to eventually reject Mainstream Rap music like they rejected Hair Metal is continuing to decline.

Let's face it people, every year we say Rap music is dying in popularity.  And for the past two years, it looked like we were right.  Rap music was making up less and less of a percentage of the Top 40 each week for much of 2007 and 2008.  However, Rap music looks like it is starting to make a comeback in chart standings, thus proving that Mainstream Rap will not fade in popularity any time soon and that it is here to stay.  Decadent mainstream Rap music is here and stay and it will only get worse.  The fact that "Low" was number one for so long proves that the masses want more and more Mainstream Rap, not less.  The 2010s will continue to see a decline of Rock music, more Rap-infused Pop and Dance Music, and Rap music even worse than today's that is still hugely popular.  The fans of Mainstream Rap are too ignorant and stupid to allow their music style to fade away.

Can you tell I'm not exactly in a positive mindset about the state of modern music right now?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/27/08 at 3:05 am

Mariah's craptacular "Touch My Body" will probably take number 1 next week now that it's been released digitally and stay there god knows how long. (I didn't mind Mariah either until she released this turd now I'm in doubt, she is hot in the video though at least...)  8-P

Written By: sonikuu on 03/27/08 at 4:54 am

Mariah's craptacular "Touch My Body" will probably take number 1 next week now that it's been released digitally and stay there god knows how long. (I didn't mind Mariah either until she released this turd now I'm in doubt, she is hot in the video though at least...)  8-P

Oh, that song is just horrible.  I didn't mind Mariah's last album, but if this single is any indication, her new one will be pretty bad.

I also take back what I said earlier about Lupe Fiasco's "Superstar" being the only good Rap song in the top 50.  Snoop Dogg's "Sensual Seduction" is also very good, as it is something different from the norm.  Also, Flo-Rida's "Elevator" has a pretty good chorus and beat, but not so good verses.  Sure, the man has really good flow, but there isn't much meaning behind his lyrics than stereotypical Mainstream Rap stuff.

Written By: tv on 03/27/08 at 8:51 am

Yeah I thought I was the only one that didn;t like "Touch My Body" the beat to it just sounds like "Danity Kane's" 2006 or 2005 hit "Showstopper".

Written By: tv on 03/27/08 at 9:16 am

Better than Love In This Club (Usher usually makes good singles, but not this time).  Hopefully she doesn't suffer from the same one hit wonder problem James Blunt did.  

In other news, it is official: Rap music (and R&B that may as well be Rap) is making a comeback and is now making up a larger portion of the Top Ten than it did just one year ago while the only genuinely good rap song on the list (Lupe Fiasco - Superstar) declines in standing.  My faith in the masses to eventually reject Mainstream Rap music like they rejected Hair Metal is continuing to decline.

Let's face it people, every year we say Rap music is dying in popularity.  And for the past two years, it looked like we were right.  Rap music was making up less and less of a percentage of the Top 40 each week for much of 2007 and 2008.  However, Rap music looks like it is starting to make a comeback in chart standings, thus proving that Mainstream Rap will not fade in popularity any time soon and that it is here to stay.  Decadent mainstream Rap music is here and stay and it will only get worse.  The fact that "Low" was number one for so long proves that the masses want more and more Mainstream Rap, not less.  The 2010s will continue to see a decline of Rock music, more Rap-infused Pop and Dance Music, and Rap music even worse than today's that is still hugely popular.  The fans of Mainstream Rap are too ignorant and stupid to allow their music style to fade away.

Can you tell I'm not exactly in a positive mindset about the state of modern music right now?
Yeah but Rap music was popular in 2007 though so I disagree there. 2006 I agree it wasn;t very popular except for real early in 2006 when "Laffy Taffy" hit number on the Billboard Hot 100.

As for the 2010's I don;t think that it will be the same as the late 00's music scene. Remember people around 2003 or 2004 were saying that the 00's was 90's Part II but now we know that that is highly untrue.

I counted about 5 hip-hop or hip-hop infused songs in the top 10. I didn't count Rihanna's "Don;t Stop The Music" as hip-hop infused though.

Isn't having Leona Lewis at Number 1 proving that people want something other than rap and hip-hop infused music? I'm a little surprised Leona went to #1 myself(so quickly anyway.) I a really not a fan of Leona Lewis but at least she's something different at number 1 that we have seen in the past year.

As far as Usher is concerned I did really like his music from 1997-2002 but lately not so much.

About your point about good mainstream rap declining Kanye West and maybe Nas are the only good hip-hop artists to do good on the charts on a consistent basis in the past 5-10 years. Good mainstream rap has been on the decline on the charts has been on a decline for a long time now not just recently.

Written By: guest on 03/27/08 at 11:04 am

Leonna Lewis topping the charts is proof people are hungry for something other than the umpteenth rap/hip hop club banging number.

The 2010s probably will be a lot different than the popular music of the 00s.  Rap is still fairly big, nowhere near where it was from 2003-2005, but still prominent enough to exist on the charts in the way it does now. Remember because mainstream rap was so dominant its going to take a while to notice a change as it continues to decline, which has been going on for several years now. It still has enough clout left to stay scattered on the charts for a few more years.

"Low" topping the charts for so long was one of the last gasps for glam rap more than anything else.

Written By: Never Duplicated on 03/27/08 at 11:28 am

Love that song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/08 at 11:30 am

Hopefully she won't be a one hit wonder in North America.  She's already had three Top 40s in her native UK
She has taken the UK by a storm.

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/08 at 6:17 pm

Bleeding Love is #1 now in Canada as well.  It also hit #1 in Australia back in December of 2007.  Could this song be a world-wide #1 hit?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/08 at 6:20 pm

Bleeding Love is #1 now in Canada as well.  It also hit #1 in Australia back in December of 2007.  Could this song be a world-wide #1 hit?
The progress of Bleeding Love around the world can be view on Bleeding Love on Wikipedia

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/08 at 6:27 pm

The progress of Bleeding Love around the world can be view on Bleeding Love on Wikipedia

#1 in most countries.  In Brazil, it only reached #96? :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/08 at 6:29 pm

#1 in most countries.  In Brazil, it only reached #96? :o
Now what would cause that?

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/08 at 7:33 pm

Now what would cause that?

I s'pose it would depend on what else is in the Brazilian 100 chart.  They probably listen to a whole other type of music that is the dominant force

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/08 at 4:12 am

First British woman in 20 years to top the Hot 100. Congrats Leona!
Who was the British woman at the top of the Hot 100 in the 80s?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/28/08 at 4:13 am

Who was the British woman at the top of the Hot 100 in the 80s?

Kim Wilde.

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/08 at 7:35 pm

Leona's 2nd North American single 'Better in Time' has just entered the Top 40 in Canada (#24) and is currently at US #62.  A non-single 'I Will Be' has also entered the Canadian chart at #99

I knew she wouldn't be a one hit wonder over here

Check for new replies or respond here...