inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you Addicted??

Written By: Tam on 03/27/08 at 3:50 pm

"According to an article published in New Scientist magazine, 90 percent of Americans indulge in the most widely-used drug in the world: caffeine.

Marina Kushner, Caffeine Awareness Alliance founder, says the role of caffeine in modern lives is something to be worried about.

"Caffeine has been linked to heart disease, mood disorders, central nervous system disorders, gastro-intestinal disorders, insomnia and even death," Kushner said on CAA's Web site.

In its purest form, caffeine is a bitter-tasting white crystalline powder reminiscent of cocaine and heroin, two infamous street drugs.
According to How Stuff Works, the three have more in common than just looks. All three use the same mechanisms to stimulate the brain, which gives them their addictive qualities. Caffeine blocks adenosine, a process in the brain that slows down nerve cell activity and causes natural drowsiness, making the user feel more alert. It also injects adrenaline into the system for a boost and even increases dopamine, a neurotransmitter that activates the pleasure center in certain parts of the brain.

Health becomes a concern when caffeine users are uninformed about (or ignorant of) their daily caffeine intake. The Caffeine Awareness Alliance Web site has a caffeine calculator that can average daily caffeine consumption, a full listing of caffeinated products by category, a caffeine addiction quiz and even information on a caffeine support group. For the extra conscious, Energyfiend.com has a quick test  for Web surfers to find out exactly how much of their favorite caffeinated products they would have to consume to cause death."

I also found another website that tells you how many mg of caffeine are in each drink that you consume. It is Energy Feind. Surprised the heck out of me when I compared the drinks that we consume in my household.

And for the record...... Yes, I am addicted.

Are you?

Subject: Re: Are you Addicted??

Written By: gibbo on 03/27/08 at 4:15 pm

Look out Snoz......Mountain Dew is EVIL........

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/27/08 at 5:44 pm

Why yes I am addicted.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj233/yo_its_renee/DEW.jpg

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 10:12 pm

I"m not.  I have a caffeinated coffee about twice a week and limit myself to decaf the rest of the time.

but for purely vain reasons.  your skin looks better without all that stuff.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/27/08 at 10:36 pm

I'm not at all. I hardly ever drink coffee (only on occasions)..and I hardly drink pop/soda..I try to stick to water.

Written By: snozberries on 03/27/08 at 10:46 pm

I CAN'T HEAR YOU! NAH NAH NAH NA NAH NAH!!!!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/dirty_little_secret0/i-cant-hear.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/08 at 12:14 am

In its purest form, caffeine is a bitter-tasting white crystalline powder reminiscent of cocaine and heroin, two infamous street drugs.
According to How Stuff Works, the three have more in common than just looks. All three use the same mechanisms to stimulate the brain, which gives them their addictive qualities. Caffeine blocks adenosine, a process in the brain that slows down nerve cell activity and causes natural drowsiness, making the user feel more alert. It also injects adrenaline into the system for a boost and even increases dopamine, a neurotransmitter that activates the pleasure center in certain parts of the brain. 

In its purest form, DHMO is a colorless tasteless liquid reminiscent of methanol and ethanol, two infamous forms of alcohol.  In addition to being a greenhouse gas, DHMO is present in biologically significant levels in virtually all tumors and other cancerous and pre-cancerous growths. 

Your family likely consumes DHMO every day.  Follow the precautionary principle.  Get the facts.  Understand the risks. 

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/08 at 12:24 am

I CAN'T HEAR YOU! NAH NAH NAH NA NAH NAH!!!!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/dirty_little_secret0/i-cant-hear.gif

Yes you can......child!!  ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/28/08 at 12:32 am

I confess ! I'm addicted to both this site .... and alcohol ! It is a worry (the latter). Something I need to deal with.

As for coffee ... well I COULD cut that one out ... but 2 or 3 a day (my intake)  .... don't think that's any big deal personally.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/28/08 at 12:44 am

I thought I was addicted to caffeine, but for the past week and a half I've tried to cut it out totally because of a test coming up tomorrow in which (apparently) caffeine will make it more uncomfortable for me.  I'm all about comfort baby.  I've been doing well with water.  I started drinking green tea thinking it wouldn't have any caffeine in it, then I called the number on the back of the bottle.  Ha!  It does have it.  oh well..  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 03/28/08 at 1:21 am

I used to be, I've had to cut waaay down on caffeine.  It may not mix well with many perscription drugs, if you happen to be on them.  I switched to trileptal for seizures last year and doc says NO CAFFEINE although I'm not sure why.  I like to sneak-in a starbucks every now and then but not like I used to...

Written By: Jessica on 03/28/08 at 10:00 am

I like to sneak-in a starbucks every now and then but not like I used to...

I've been Sixbucks free since December. :D

Written By: Davester on 03/28/08 at 10:05 am

I've been Sixbucks free since December. :D

Congratulations!  It ain't easy...

Sixbucks, that's for sure... ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/08 at 1:07 pm

A simple answer-Yes, but in the form of tea, not coffee. Never acquired a taste for coffee and I never cared for carbonation which is why I had never been big on soda. But tea-I average about 4 or 5 cups a day. A few weeks ago, I decided to try to cut down on the caffeine and bought some decaf. Unfortunately, it tasted kind of strange to me. But, the other day, I gave it a shot again and had a cup but it didn't taste as bad as it did the first time. So, maybe I will try it again.

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/28/08 at 1:13 pm

I love it and was totaly addicted but i can't have it now :\'( My favorite thing when i wake up in the morning is the smell of coffee making,since i quit drinking it the smell takes an orgasmic feel for me.

Written By: Tam on 03/28/08 at 1:34 pm

Well, in my family we have a drinker of Monster, coke and coke zero...
We have a drinker of coffee, java, anything he tries to get from Starbucks....
And there is me - the Pepsi-holic!!!

I tried cutting back on my amounts of pepsi, only to then suffer from a withdrawl headache. I added a lot more water to my intake, which helped somewhat with the headache, but still I crave crave crave....

Hubby and the Monsters - well at least he drinks the Chaos ones which have a lot more real juice in them then caffeine ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/08 at 2:01 pm

Well, in my family we have a drinker of Monster, coke and coke zero...
We have a drinker of coffee, java, anything he tries to get from Starbucks....
And there is me - the Pepsi-holic!!!

I tried cutting back on my amounts of pepsi, only to then suffer from a withdrawl headache. I added a lot more water to my intake, which helped somewhat with the headache, but still I crave crave crave....

Hubby and the Monsters - well at least he drinks the Chaos ones which have a lot more real juice in them then caffeine ::)

Another thing to take into consideration as to why you had the "withdrawal" headache was probably not a withdrawal from the caffeine as it was a withdrawal from the sugar or specifically the high fructose corn syrup that all sodas are loaded with-which is worse in my book that if you have coffee or tea loaded with those little packets of REAL sugar. For the record, I don't use sugar in my tea-the only thing I like in my tea is water and a tea bag.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/28/08 at 7:52 pm

I love it and was totaly addicted but i can't have it now :\'( My favorite thing when i wake up in the morning is the smell of coffee making,since i quit drinking it the smell takes an orgasmic feel for me.

When I was in the hospital for a week (about a year and a half ago), I asked mom to get some coffee (not for me to drink, but just for me to sniff) and I'm not really even a coffee drinker per se.  She thought it was funny that after only having liquids for a week the one thing I wanted was to sniff her coffee.  /end ramble

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/08 at 7:53 pm

When I was in the hospital for a week (about a year and a half ago), I asked mom to get some coffee (not for me to drink, but just for me to sniff) and I'm not really even a coffee drinker per se.  She thought it was funny that after only having liquids for a week the one thing I wanted was to sniff her coffee.  /end ramble

Darn coffee sniffers...they're everywhere nowadays...... ;)

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/28/08 at 8:26 pm

http://islandkarma.com/blogme/wp-content/images/coffee_addict.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8219/howtospotthecoffeeaddiczb7.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8852/howtospotthecoffeeaddicyc4.jpg

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/29/08 at 8:53 am

The really desperate addicts eat the grounds. 8-P  I kid you not.  I've seen it.

Written By: Jessica on 03/29/08 at 10:10 am

The really desperate addicts eat the grounds. 8-P  I kid you not.  I've seen it.

In the same vein, have you ever had chocolate covered espresso beans? They are hella good.

Written By: Davester on 03/29/08 at 11:49 am

In the same vein, have you ever had chocolate covered espresso beans? They are hella good.

I have.  They were chocolate/cognac beans.  Mmmm yummy... :)

Written By: snozberries on 03/29/08 at 9:21 pm

Believe it or not I actually gave up the Dew from March 2007 until June of the same year

a friend graduated college in June. The family purchased two cubes of Dew for the party and no one drank it  :o 

That's 48 Dews that were going to waste...he remembered that I drank Dew but not that I gave it up... he brought them in for me as a gift....now how could I look that gift horse in the mouth.... my addiction is worse than it's ever been... I had 7 yesterday because of my road trip...left at 8 am got home at 3 am.... 11 hours of the day I was on the road....two of the dews were consumed while I wasn't driving.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/30/08 at 4:54 am

Believe it or not I actually gave up the Dew from March 2007 until June of the same year

a friend graduated college in June. The family purchased two cubes of Dew for the party and no one drank it  :o 

That's 48 Dews that were going to waste...he remembered that I drank Dew but not that I gave it up... he brought them in for me as a gift....now how could I look that gift horse in the mouth.... my addiction is worse than it's ever been... I had 7 yesterday because of my road trip...left at 8 am got home at 3 am.... 11 hours of the day I was on the road....two of the dews were consumed while I wasn't driving.

I had a two liter.  "HAD ". . . past tense. ;)

Written By: gibbo on 03/30/08 at 5:07 am

Wow...that sounds like really HOT coffee...... ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/31/08 at 12:30 pm

When I was a kid, I had this friend that we used to go bike riding together. We would stop and get something to drink. The problem was, we both didn't want a full one so decided to split one and what she liked, I didn't and I liked, she didn't.  Mountain Dew was the only thing we could agree on-our compromise. The funny thing is, I can't stand the stuff today but every time I see it, I will always think of her-and now you.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/08 at 5:43 pm

When I was a kid, I had this friend that we used to go bike riding together. We would stop and get something to drink. The problem was, we both didn't want a full one so decided to split one and what she liked, I didn't and I liked, she didn't.  Mountain Dew was the only thing we could agree on-our compromise. The funny thing is, I can't stand the stuff today but every time I see it, I will always think of her-and now you.

Cat

that's funny... I thought the last line said  I can't stand the stuff because every time I see it I always think of her- and now you...  ;D

guess I should read just a little slower...

Written By: midnite on 03/31/08 at 8:56 pm

I dont drink coffee but I have other addictions like.................this darn computer.  Yikes!!!

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/08 at 9:12 pm

I dont drink coffee but I have other addictions like.................this darn computer.  Yikes!!!

I have the same freakin' addiction  ;D

I just gave you karma and I noticed that in 11 more posts you'll be able to return the favor  ;)

Written By: midnite on 03/31/08 at 10:29 pm

Thank you for the karma. Not sure what that means, but it must be good. i will make 11 posts!!!

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/08 at 10:31 pm

Thank you for the karma. Not sure what that means, but it must be good. i will make 11 posts!!!

lucky you no name change....i'll explain karma later...its no big deal just a status thing I'm into...

Written By: midnite on 03/31/08 at 10:36 pm

I thought you looked familiar - Veruca.  Didnt recognize the name.  LOL.

Written By: Gis on 04/01/08 at 8:00 am

Hmm, I do drink 4 or 5 mugs of tea a day.I don't like coffee and never drink it. I drink diet pepsi/coke maybe 3 times a week so I guess I'm a a mild addict. Nothing beats a cup of tea first thing in the morning.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 8:03 am

Hmm, I do drink 4 or 5 mugs of tea a day.I don't like coffee and never drink it. I drink diet pepsi/coke maybe 3 times a week so I guess I'm a a mild addict. Nothing beats a cup of tea first thing in the morning.

THIS DOES
  :D  8)  ;D

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n51/reinoehl117/dew_ice1024.jpg

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 8:10 am

THIS DOES

It also sends you mad.... but not dumb...it may even make you brighter!!!

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 8:15 am

It also sends you mad.... but not dumb...it may even make you brighter!!!

now see it wasn't that hard was it?

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 8:22 am

now see it wasn't that hard was it?

I would answer but I choked to death while laughing.......... ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 8:24 am

I would answer but I choked to death while laughing.......... ;D

what'dja choke on huh?

;D

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 8:27 am

what'dja choke on huh?

;D

Oh...just words....some really stick in my throat. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 8:28 am

Oh...just words....some really stick in my throat. ;)

Come on you can do better than that.  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 8:31 am

Come on you can do better than that.  ;D

I know...but this site is only rated PG and we are starting to get into How Hard territory..... :o

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 8:48 am

I know...but this site is only rated PG and we are starting to get into How Hard territory..... :o

http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080401/sampd70ffbcf5833c072.jpg

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 8:49 am

http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080401/sampd70ffbcf5833c072.jpg

Sorry...what type of head?

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 8:50 am

Sorry...what type of head?

;D

Written By: Gis on 04/01/08 at 3:34 pm

THIS DOES

But they don't sell it in the U.K..........................

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 3:44 pm

Gi's you are truly deprived.  Although I'm sure we're willing to trade decent lager in exchange for Mountain Dew.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:38 pm

Gi's you are truly deprived.  Although I'm sure we're willing to trade decent lager in exchange for Mountain Dew.

speak for yourself.... I don't share dew!!!!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/01/08 at 5:42 pm

Yep!  I'm addicted to caffeine!  :D

I find that if I go too long without it, I get headaches... :-[

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 6:08 pm

speak for yourself.... I don't share dew!!!!  ;)

Well, I can see where your priorities lie.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 6:10 pm

Well, I can see where your priorities lie.

if we clue them in on the wonders of the sweet nectar of dew then they may order it by the masses and we could find ourselves in the midst of a dew shortage!!!  :o

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/01/08 at 9:50 pm

I just gave you karma and I noticed that in 11 more posts you'll be able to return the favor  ;)

Sure you're  not addicted to something else snoz ?  :-X That post sounds a little 'desperate' ?  ::)

:P

;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/08 at 12:14 pm

Sure you're  not addicted to something else snoz ?  :-X That post sounds a little 'desperate' ?  ::)

:P

;D

hey I didn't say I never asked for it... just reserve my moments and do so with a little more subtlety .  you won't see me going

GIMME KARMA!  GIMME KARMA!  GIMME KARMA

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh214/dovegirl1/MSN-Emoticon-033.gif

so my addictions....as if you didn't know....

TV
Carly
Mountain Dew
inthe00s  w00t!
and winning... be it in games, stats, or arguments....  ;D  and yeah by stats  I mean arcade titles, post count and karma!  gotta problem with it???  >:(

just kidding...  I'm addicted to you too honey  ;)

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/03/08 at 8:36 pm

hey I didn't say I never asked for it... just reserve my moments and do so with a little more subtlety .  you won't see me going

so my addictions....as if you didn't know....

TV
Carly
Mountain Dew
inthe00s  w00t!
and winning... be it in games, stats, or arguments....  ;D  and yeah by stats  I mean arcade titles, post count and karma!  gotta problem with it???  >:(

just kidding...  I'm addicted to you too honey  ;)

That was 'SUBTLE'  ???  ::) . I think they're currently re-writing the dictionary definition of 'subtle'. Instead of a 5lb 'sledge hammer' ... use a 15lb 'sledgehammer' !  :P  :D  ;D

'Addicted to me ?'  ???

:-*

;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/08 at 9:13 pm

you didn't read the fine print Alan....  you missed the line that proceeded the Gimme Karma.....  I said you won't see me doing that  ;D

well addicted to you in the  "I wonder what he'll do next....let's go online and find out .....plus I was just checking to see if you were paying attention.  ;)

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/03/08 at 9:22 pm

you didn't read the fine print Alan....  you missed the line that proceeded the Gimme Karma.....  I said you won't see me doing that  ;D

well addicted to you in the  "I wonder what he'll do next....let's go online and find out .....plus I was just checking to see if you were paying attention.  ;)

No, I DIDN'T 'miss it.'  Here's the post I was referring to .....

Subtle, ... very subtle snoz.  ::)  Thanks for the lesson !    :P  ;D  :D

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/08 at 9:24 pm

No, I DIDN'T 'miss it.'  Here's the post I was referring to .....

Subtle, ... very subtle snoz.  ::)  Thanks for the lesson !    :P  ;D  :D

lol....you'd have to be privvy to the PMs I share with that member to fully understand... ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/03/08 at 9:39 pm

lol....you'd have to be privvy to the PMs I share with that member to fully understand... ;D

Please forward me a copy of that 'PERSONAL message'    :D

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/08 at 9:40 pm

nosy much?  ;)

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/03/08 at 9:43 pm

nosy much?  ;)

On second thoughts, please DON'T.  30 messages still, over the 500 limit.  Did save them ALL  to a text file, but lots have pics / links and so on, that I like,  so still whittling away !

Check for new replies or respond here...